[1.0.5]AutoRove - autonomous rovermovement in the background

Wotano

• 1 month later...

Wotano have been offline since february, so I decided to look at how hard it would be to get this mod up and running. With a bit of hardcoding, I did in fact get it running. However, the first time I used it to move a rover around it ended up underground :confused: It never did that in 1.05 for me.....

My issue is, I cannot really evaluate the part of the code that actually moves the rover around..... I tried looking for where the ground height is determined, but couldn't really identify it....

Have any of the rest of you had any luck with this?

On 25/4/2016 at 9:11 PM, DStaal said:

Rovers would often end up underground or partly underground for me - until physics loaded and fixed things.  (And if I wasn't focused on the rover when physics loaded, it would stay in an odd state.)

The mod work on this way, move rover in background and align the rover with the ground only when the rover is the active vessel

3 hours ago, Badsector said:

The mod work on this way, move rover in background and align the rover with the ground only when the rover is the active vessel

Welll... I've tried to fix the mod, but I do get rover stuck underground, and it is not fixed by activating the craft ;.;

I am looking for a good way to handle place the craft on the ground when loading.... What does stock do? does it take care of this, or are the values just in the save file?

Hi

when you say that the rover ended up underground, you mean it spawned a few meters below or hundreds of meters?. Maybe you need to add the rover height to the total. A finer work could be to measure the heights of all the rover's wheels and rotate it to the normal vector of the ground, in the case there is inclination on the target point.

54 minutes ago, strozyk85 said:

Does the mod work in 1.1.2?

I've been working on getting it to work in 1.1.2 since the author is doing other stuff :(

I think it is somewhat running now. I've hardcoded some elements to get it working again, so speed is fixed, but at least it is roving.

Try it out: AutoRove 1.1.2

4 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

I've been working on getting it to work in 1.1.2 since the author is doing other stuff :(

I think it is somewhat running now. I've hardcoded some elements to get it working again, so speed is fixed, but at least it is roving.

Thank you so much for taking the time to fix this. I'll try to test it and see if I can break it for you.

On 6/5/2016 at 0:19 AM, Warezcrawler said:

Thank you!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2016 at 9:22 AM, Carrot said:

Just wonder why it is so lack of replies with this great mod

Probably because it just works.  No need to complain or ask questions.  :wink:

I was wondering about one thing I ran into - to see if anyone can reproduce.  I set up a rover to autorove to a landing/transfer site, then switched to another craft to land and meet it there (using MechJeb).  They collided 2.5km above the surface.  I'm pretty sure my rover wasn't flying without rocket engines. :wink:  Anyone else see anything like this?

(Also: Why was the button for the rover status window removed in flight/map view?  I found it a real time saver...)

On 30/05/2016 at 7:46 PM, DStaal said:

(Also: Why was the button for the rover status window removed in flight/map view?  I found it a real time saver...)

I have no clue about you colliding issue. However, I do think I made the change for when the window button in the stock toolbar shows up. Since it's not integrated to Blizzy's toolbar, I modified it so that it is only present in spacecenter + tracking station. This is more to my liking, but we are all different :)

I can upload the source if you want to change that back yourself.

Not actually set up to compile the source...  Though I like the idea.

I understand the 'it's cleaner' idea of only showing it in the 'overall' views - but that's two minute+ long context switches on my machine, whereas switching between vessels in map view usually can be done in 10-30 seconds.  Basically, to me, that means it's not worth trying to use the rover status - It's easier and faster to switch to a vessel out of physics range, go to map view, and hover my mouse over the rover that I want to watch.

20 hours ago, DStaal said:

Not actually set up to compile the source...  Though I like the idea.

I understand the 'it's cleaner' idea of only showing it in the 'overall' views - but that's two minute+ long context switches on my machine, whereas switching between vessels in map view usually can be done in 10-30 seconds.  Basically, to me, that means it's not worth trying to use the rover status - It's easier and faster to switch to a vessel out of physics range, go to map view, and hover my mouse over the rover that I want to watch.

OK.... 2 minutes+ is a long long long time...... The mod has some cfg configuration capabilities.... Maybe I will look into adding this as a configuration based on the settings in the cfg... I just need to have the time, which I have very little of these days :(

There are still issues in this mod I wish to solve as well.... So I have for a while wanted to take a crack at that.... I'll post it here if I do add stuff to autoRove...

Have not been online for a loooooooooong time. Just logged in to say thank you @Warezcrawler for reviving this mod. Now all we need is a thing to add RTS like base building and more automated stuffs like automatic supply routes via space. But this is a great start! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.