sal_vager    5744
Hello Kerbals, this thread links to many of the most common suggestions!

Anyone playing KSP for long is bound to have one of those eureka moments, "Hey, this game would be even better if it had this feature!".

I know I have, and that many of you have :wink:

We all want KSP to be the best, and who knows, the next suggestion may be so good that Squad adds it to the game!

Kerbal cardigans?  brilliant!  We must add this!

However, many suggestions are pretty obvious, like suggesting multiplayer for a single player game, that they don't really need to be suggested.

Many suggestions have been suggested before, KSP has been around for a while now so there's a pretty good chance that the idea has come up and is either already planned or already in the game or has been implemented by the talented KSP modders.

People like new ideas, they like to mull over and discuss the unknown.  A new, unique idea or an old idea from a new angle is much preferred to suggestions for more of something already in the game, such as more parts (we have loads of parts now), some things just get suggested too many times.

And some suggestions just don't fit Squads vision for KSP, such as weapons and combat, while others are currently out of scope for the game, but luckily KSP's excellent modding community has you covered!

So this thread exists as a repository for subjects that are so common that there's no need for yet another thread on it, before you post your suggestion take a look here, there may already be a thread covering it and you can join in the discussion, or it may be better as an addon request.

Oh and if you forgot to check here and posted a common suggestion the helpful moderation team will be able to direct you to the main thread on the topic, or move your post for you :wink:

Don't forget, if you see something that should (or shouldn't) be on here let me know :D

Already Planned

Common Suggestions.

Suggestions Implemented by Modders.

Erm, No.

Old Already suggested thread, old WNTS thread.

Pthigrivi    834

Thanks for doing this Sal :) Should we expect a number of topics to be lumped together here in the future or would a few become broken off into their own threads?

sal_vager    5744

Depends how things go really, stuff that's not asked all that often will be removed from the list as it's not a bother to see it suggested, stuff that becomes repetitive will end up here.

To be honest things have not be that bad for ages, the biggest repeated topic was multiplayer but now it has been announced we hardly see it.

mattinoz    222

Great work but I do believe Delta V display should be in the Already Planned (ie Promised) section.

sal_vager    5744

I moved it up, it'd be nice to add a link to where it's said it's planned but I can't find it, any ideas?

smjjames    491

There are a few 2-kerbal pods out there in mods, Roverdudes UKS has a Soyuz style pod which is 2-kerbal, Nerteas Near Future Spacecraft has a 2-kerbal pod, I'm sure theres others like maybe the historical based parts mods.

sal_vager    5744

Yeah I'm sure I saw a really good one that looked like the Gemini capsule, but I can't remember the thread title.

smjjames    491
1 minute ago, sal_vager said:

Yeah I'm sure I saw a really good one that looked like the Gemini capsule, but I can't remember the thread title.

FASA maybe? I know what you're talking about as I've seen a Gemini-like caspule in a stream once.

smjjames    491

Actually, yeah, maybe the one I'm thinking of is FASA, not sure where NathanKells continuation thread is though.

Like I said, theres a couple mods out there with two man pods.

edit: Oh yeah, NovaPunch has a two-kerbal command pod, but it's a lander type pod rather than something more like Soyuz or Gemini.

Edited by smjjames

sal_vager    5744

Hmm, Angels is a 2.5m when you add the backseat, the Corvus is too old, so I'll add @jfjohnny5's pod to the list (even though I hate pinstripes).

John FX    1749

Isn`t multithreaded physics of a sort happening due to the U5 upgrade or have I misunderstood?

AFAIK multithreaded physics would not provide as much benefit as some would think anyway, including myself in the past.

Kerbart    2875
2 minutes ago, John FX said:

Isn`t multithreaded physics of a sort happening due to the U5 upgrade or have I misunderstood?

AFAIK multithreaded physics would not provide as much benefit as some would think anyway, including myself in the past.

Unless I'm wrong, physics calculations for a vessel are still single threaded, but if you have multiple vessels inside the physics bubble they'll each run in their own thread, or something along those lines.

I suspect that the biggest disappointment most players will have with 64 bit Unity 5 is that they'll now run out of real memory, instead of addressable memory.  :D

sal_vager    5744

Multithreading is kinda out of Squads hands though, it's a Unity5 thing, though Unity4 also does multithreading what Unity 4 doesn't do is put physics objects into tasks and divvy them up amongst your cores.

Unity5, or more accurately PhysX3, does that.

Exactly how it ends up is something we have to wait for 1.1 to see though, but benchmarks from other games and tests look promising.

Alshain    4726

Is Delta V already planned?  Maxmaps mentioned it once on his private twitter and it never materialized.  I'd say it's about as reliable information as Gas Planet 2 at this point.

Also, if you are going to do mod links at all they need to be more broad.  Improved Graphics for example links to PlanetShine only?  No EVE, no RealPlume, no EngineLight, no Texture Replacer, no CollisionFX?  Just to warn you as to what you are in for Sal, it's going to be a bear to keep mod lists updated, are you sure you want to do that?  It might be easier for you to simply reference the CMPL

Edited by Alshain

mattinoz    222

From my recall It was also mentioned in a couple of DevNotes (with the same sounds like Shmetla-dee reference) to say it was being worked on for a post 1.0 release. Been trying to find the exact DevNotes and normally Google turns it up very quickly when I've searched for it but today its being evasive. 

sal_vager    5744

I'm just giving examples, and EVE falls under clouds ;)

I'm not sure on delta V myself, we don't even know what form it might take, I'd not expect anything like KER.

r_rolo1    295

Well, about clouds, Maxmaps said with all the letters in one Squadcast ( about 2/3 months ago, maybe? ) that that the devs were planning to add clouds to the game ... eventually, and only after the Unity 5 port ( and probably some other mem leak patching ). Not sure if that makes clouds confirmed or not, though ... :D

sal_vager    5744

If someone could post a link to that tweet I'd appreciate it.

Also, adding Steam workshop due to requests via PM's.

Edit:

Red Iron Crown found it.

Alshain    4726
On 1/11/2016 at 1:32 PM, r_rolo1 said:

Well, about clouds, Maxmaps said with all the letters in one Squadcast ( about 2/3 months ago, maybe? ) that that the devs were planning to add clouds to the game ... eventually, and only after the Unity 5 port ( and probably some other mem leak patching ). Not sure if that makes clouds confirmed or not, though ... :D

He said they were planning a graphical overhaul sometime after 1.1 and referenced all the screenshots of modded versions.  I'm 100% positive that will include clouds, but I wouldn't call it confirmed.  There was no specific graphical effect mentioned.

Edited by Alshain