[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

1 hour ago, LaytheDragon said:

There are too many seams. Needs some work.

Are there still explosions with this mod?

I hope I can fix the seams with coherent randomness instead of "true" randomness.

Yes, there are still explosions. Tolerances are scaled by a (yet unbalanced) factor. If impact speeds are above original crash tolerance multiplied by scaling explosions still occur. 

Explosions also occur during overheating and in some cases ("other" parts like batteries, solar panels, etc.) due to a maximum damage being reached.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

For everyone worried about performance impact of this mod, I just tried it in my heavy modded install (32 bit) and I didn't noticed any drops at all. The mod works just during collisions and it seems that for KSP is faster to calculate collisions in this way than with explosions...

This is beautiful. Now plane crashes aren't just 'directed by Micheal Bay now horrah the plane's vanished in explosions'!

Just a one thing to suggest.

Can we have an option to disable damage on anything that has 'landing' or 'gear' in it's name? 

1 hour ago, EnzoMeertens said:

I hope I can fix the seams with coherent randomness instead of "true" randomness.

Yes, there are still explosions. Tolerances are scaled by a (yet unbalanced) factor. If impact speeds are above original crash tolerance multiplied by scaling explosions still occur. 

Explosions also occur during overheating and in some cases ("other" parts like batteries, solar panels, etc.) due to a maximum damage being reached.

It's good to know that the only issue with this mod that makes me itch with discomfort just at it's sight is in the process of being fixed. Huge potential is definitely present in this mod. :cool:

4 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

I've gotten to work but it needs some work. First of all, the mod doesn't come prepackaged with ModuleManager (which it needs). Second, if you follow the installation instructions you get quite a mess (as you recommend extracting it into the Kerbal Space Program folder). The more user friendly way would be to package the mod thusly:

Folder: GameData (to indicate that it belongs where all the other mods are put) containing:

ModuleManager.dll and folder KerbalKrashSystem (to make the entire mod easily deletable)

Within KKS folder a separate folder for the plugin and the configs.

I really don't see why every mod has to have ModuleManager.dll in the folder thats just something, I have to delete as if your running just about any mod you have it and don't need more then one

One thing you should try is grouping vertexes in close proximity to each-other so that the seams would dissapear. Vertexes are duplicated for each face in models (a cube would have 24 vertexes for example) to solve normal mapping issues.

2 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

I do have one question.  Is it still possible to have the parts blow up?  As very cool as this is I still like explosions too.

The mod author confirmed that explosions still do happen at high enough speeds, as well as when a part overheats.

14 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

I've pushed the new zip containing your suggestions to KerbalStuff.

Thank you! 

are you sure you did this? the kerbalstuff one is still a bunch of loose files with no module manager dll for me, but the curse download has it in it's own gamedata older, kerbalkrashsystem folder and module manager file

awesome mod btw

also, how does this mod base it's destruction on the original files? All of the 80 crash tolerance parts I have seem really resistant to damage, getting only small dents after smashing them into the ground at relatively high speeds while everything around them explodes. would going into their cfg files and bringing down their crash tolerance make them more squishy?

Edited by Tripod27

I feel the displacement should scale with the parts it's applied to. It looks totally awesome on 'regular' sized things like most engines and fuel-tanks, but small parts (wheels, batteries, etc) become quite messy. Those seem to -gain- much volume when distorted.

Enjoying your mod greatly, just added my two cents.

Also: I love fule-leaks. A hairy takeoff for a plane and I find myself in a hurry to land ASAP while I still can. Lovely. ^_^

4 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Submitted a pull request to improve crumpling. Won't have any odd voids and should be faster.

This looks very nice. How do I apply that? I'm a total noob in modding - I don't even see the two changed files in the KKS mod folder.

Edited by Evanitis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.