[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

9 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

That's awesome! I didn't know that would work! It's good to know it works on "everything", so far!

I sketched out some ideas of how KKS would work on Kerbals a few pages back.

It has excellent potential for things like contracts (I tipped off @inigma and he agreed).

Edited by colmo

13 hours ago, Wetapunga said:

So does this mod play nicely with BD armory? It would be quite cool too have canon rounds denting up vehicles, explosions buckling wings, crashing planes leaving crumpled wrecks

As far as my testing goes, yes, it have pretty funny results but is it due to the impact itself or the fall after the explosion, I have no idea, all I know is that there were...things that are still unidentified today also I managed to stuck a control surface in the wall on a building of the R&D XD

20 hours ago, sardia said:

Can someone provide the version history? It shows it going from .25 to .10 on Curse, so I'm confused.

From new to old:

Version 0.2.1:

Added sparking for leaking batteries (not working on physicsless batteries, yet).
Scaled water damage down by PhysicsGlobals.BuoyancyCrashToleranceMult.

Version 0.2:

Water damage,

Bugfixes:
    Returning to VAC after a krash would result in null-reference regarding leaking effects,
    Damage scaled down a bit and made more reliable,
    Removed KerbalKrashSystem modules from physicsless parts,
    Big parts now deform more visibly,
    Removed damage from wheels (ModuleWheels).
    DamageDivider variable accessible via config files. 

Version 0.04:

(Basic) leaking effects,
CKAN support (depends on Pull-Request),
Science Jr. gets ruined when damaged reaches >100%. Needs Engineer AND Scientist to restore to full functionality.

Version 0.027:

Bug fixes (Added KIS support and such),
Configurable variables (malleability, toleranceScaling, overheatScaling, flowScaling (leak), damageScaling),
Fix for Science Jr. deforming in an odd way, 
Added inability to retrieve science from damaged science modules,
Added message to broken command pods (no action, yet).

Version 0.026:

Loosely coupled KIS-support (using wrenches/screwdrivers to repair damage in EVA),
Disable repair from non-EVA.
Refactored some parts of my code to allow for easier KKS-mods.

Version 0.022:

Removed KIS support for now.

Version 0.021:

Moved files to correct folder,
Updated Module Manager.

Version 0.02:

Added repair mod,
Removed random damage.

Version 0.017:

Temporary fix for landing gears passing on damage to parent part,
Fixed KerbalKrashOther.cfg.

Version 0.015:

Fixed damage miscalculation, 
Made damage less random.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

On 20.02.2016 at 3:32 PM, EnzoMeertens said:

New version (0.2.1) is up!

Changelog:

Added sparking for leaking batteries (not working on physicsless batteries, yet).

Scaled water damage down by PhysicsGlobals.BuoyancyCrashToleranceMult.

Bad news: water damage still buggy. I dont know what damage may plane (water, other parts, scatterer fake shader-ocean?) I recomend to turn it off for vertical+horisontal speed less than 20 m/s (72 km/h), and horizontal 45 m/s (162 km/h) because it normal landing speed for seaplanes.

Good news: batteries spark looks great!

ps: I have some ideas about batteries, but water bug looks like main problem to solve

55 minutes ago, *MajorTom* said:

Bad news: water damage still buggy. I dont know what damage may plane (water, other parts, scatterer fake shader-ocean?) I recomend to turn it off for vertical+horisontal speed less than 20 m/s (72 km/h), and horizontal 45 m/s (162 km/h) because it normal landing speed for seaplanes.

ps: I have some ideas about batteries, but water bug looks like main problem to solve

I will look into that, right now! 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, sardia said:

FYI, your curse upload has an (probably) unneeded nested zip folder in it.

16 minutes ago, *MajorTom* said:

AND GLOBAL BUG in 0.2.1 - duplicate kerbals then enter any ship!  (i cant see this in 0.2)

I think these two might be related, as I don't have any duplicating Kerbals.

Are you sure you deleted the old KKS version and added the new version correctly? 

I will upload a fixed zip today, including a new way of calculating water damage.

37 minutes ago, EnzoMeertens said:

I think these two might be related, as I don't have any duplicating Kerbals.

Are you sure you deleted the old KKS version and added the new version correctly? 

I will upload a fixed zip today, including a new way of calculating water damage.

Hm, i just deleted it and copy new one.

and my mistake - it bug also presented in 0.2 (or maybe it conflicted with other mods) (solved only if I delete folder KKS ver 0.2.1 or 0.2)

You mod changed something in save files?...

I update KIS mod today (to latest version KIS 1.2.5...) . I think it KIS screwdriver problem... (or maybe DeepFreez conflict I also install it today, but ..) http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kerbal-inventory-system-kis/files/2283248

61af2b8d003f.jpg

Edited by *MajorTom*

11 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

Hmm, water is damaging parts it's not directly touching... Sounds like splash damage.  ;)

41 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Hmm, water is damaging parts it's not directly touching... Sounds like splash damage.  ;)

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHH

This will be fixed in this version.

5 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

Hm, i just deleted it and copy new one.

and my mistake - it bug also presented in 0.2 (or maybe it conflicted with other mods) (solved only if I delete folder KKS ver 0.2.1 or 0.2)

You mod changed something in save files?...

I update KIS mod today (to latest version KIS 1.2.5...) . I think it KIS screwdriver problem... (or maybe DeepFreez conflict I also install it today, but ..) http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kerbal-inventory-system-kis/files/2283248

Yep. Looks like it's a problem with KIS. KKS targets KIS 1.2.3. Seems I have to update KKS (or at least KIS support) every time a new KIS version is released.

Hopefully I can find a better way.

Uploading new version right now.

Changelog version 0.2.5:

• Modified water damage calculation/detection,
  • Updated KIS support.
Edited by EnzoMeertens

Awesome mod, I'm loving the possibilities it adds to KSP versus the usual crash/fail explosions. I did end up having to modify the external command seat not to take damage, as it would become unusable when spawning in the chair from the start using the Take Command mod. I'm guessing its due to the way kerbal's physics are handled, I noticed if I jump underneath things like fuel tanks they will take damage and start leaking.

I'm currently trying to solve why my airplanes keep taking damage during takeoff, usually once they reach 30 m/s with the wheels down. (Currently taking off from the first upgraded runway, maybe it still has a couple of bumps that do it in at that speed). I was wondering if there was a way to set a threshold so it doesn't keep happening on takeoffs/wheels? I tried messing around with the _flowScaling setting but that so far seems to either speed up or slow down the leaking, versus leaking starting at a specific damage level. Ideally damage wouldn't happen on takeoffs regularly unless it would of exploded normally in KSP stock.

Nevertheless, great mod and thanks so much for developing it! I'm looking forward to seeing it progress :)
[EDIT] So I ended up putting a small hardpoint between the gas tank (the small-medium one that has a crash tolerance of 6 m/s) and the wheel, and it prevented the damage during takeoff! Ha now I don't know if it's a bug or "feature" ;)

Edited by Deathstick

EnzoMeertens, I've experienced the same effect the Deathstick is talking about while creating my own mod and was going to warn you of the issue but I couldn't figure out why my vessel doesn't receive any visual damage caused by the issue when using Kerbal Krash System. I've tried to visualize the things and ended up creating Hangar Grid mod :)

Here's what I've found on the subject: when on the runway (or on the ground) any little bounce of landing gear creates a collision on a part to which the landing gear is attached, even if the part does not have a direct contact with the ground. I've traced the colliding objects and yes, they have tags "Runway section"! Relative speed of the collision is approximately opposite to the surface speed and has approximately the same magnitude. So if you raise the front gear a few inches up and put it back on the ground while rolling at 45+ m/s, your cockpit part collides with magnitude exceeding its crash tolerance. The contact point is under the wheel :huh:, but the collision relates to cockpit. That's why I've seen no deformation: the deforming point was off the part's bounds. Seems like that's some kind of "derived" collision, and you can check for that by the method Part.CheckCollision(Collision c). Supposedly, it returns true if the part has indeed collided.

Not sure if that applies to landing gear only.

Edited by Ser

20 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

Uploading new version right now.

Changelog version 0.2.5:

• Modified water damage calculation/detection,
  • Updated KIS support.

Great Job! test 0.2.5... and found only good news right now - all bugs eliminated! (no water bug, no dupliсate kerbals bug)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some ideas for engines:
1. engine damage up to 10% - it works with random breaks
2. if the damage to 70 % (1+) with overheating
3. if the damage is above 70% (1,2+) random vector thrust in the realm of possibility

Some ideas for batteries
1. up to 20 % of the battery capacity is reduced by the percentage of damage
2. above 20% to 30% - (1+) no leaks, but can't be recharged
3. above a 30% (1,2+) leakage power and... battery discharge

haha.. and for RITEG... from the heat... and to a small nuclear explosion :) ASTA La Vista baby :)))) (c) terminator

Edited by *MajorTom*

18 hours ago, Deathstick said:

Awesome mod, I'm loving the possibilities it adds to KSP versus the usual crash/fail explosions. I did end up having to modify the external command seat not to take damage, as it would become unusable when spawning in the chair from the start using the Take Command mod. I'm guessing its due to the way kerbal's physics are handled, I noticed if I jump underneath things like fuel tanks they will take damage and start leaking.

I'm currently trying to solve why my airplanes keep taking damage during takeoff, usually once they reach 30 m/s with the wheels down. (Currently taking off from the first upgraded runway, maybe it still has a couple of bumps that do it in at that speed). I was wondering if there was a way to set a threshold so it doesn't keep happening on takeoffs/wheels? I tried messing around with the _flowScaling setting but that so far seems to either speed up or slow down the leaking, versus leaking starting at a specific damage level. Ideally damage wouldn't happen on takeoffs regularly unless it would of exploded normally in KSP stock.

Nevertheless, great mod and thanks so much for developing it! I'm looking forward to seeing it progress :)
[EDIT] So I ended up putting a small hardpoint between the gas tank (the small-medium one that has a crash tolerance of 6 m/s) and the wheel, and it prevented the damage during takeoff! Ha now I don't know if it's a bug or "feature" ;)

6 hours ago, Ser said:

EnzoMeertens, I've experienced the same effect the Deathstick is talking about while creating my own mod and was going to warn you of the issue but I couldn't figure out why my vessel doesn't receive any visual damage caused by the issue when using Kerbal Krash System. I've tried to visualize the things and ended up creating Hangar Grid mod :)

Here's what I've found on the subject: when on the runway (or on the ground) any little bounce of landing gear creates a collision on a part to which the landing gear is attached, even if the part does not have a direct contact with the ground. I've traced the colliding objects and yes, they have tags "Runway section"! Relative speed of the collision is approximately opposite to the surface speed and has approximately the same magnitude. So if you raise the front gear a few inches up and put it back on the ground while rolling at 45+ m/s, your cockpit part collides with magnitude exceeding its crash tolerance. The contact point is under the wheel :huh:, but the collision relates to cockpit. That's why I've seen no deformation: the deforming point was off the part's bounds. Seems like that's some kind of "derived" collision, and you can check for that by the method Part.CheckCollision(Collision c). Supposedly, it returns true if the part has indeed collided.

Not sure if that applies to landing gear only.

It seems I removed something I deemed unnecessary, the ignoring collisions when the collider is a "WheelCollider". I thought I had fixed this through the config files (excluding physicsless objects from KKS).

I will upload a fix tomorrow! My apologies for this inconvenience.

4 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

Great Job! test 0.2.5... and found only good news right now - all bugs eliminated! (no water bug, no dupliсate kerbals bug)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some ideas for engines:
1. engine damage up to 10% - it works with random breaks
2. if the damage to 70 % (1+) with overheating
3. if the damage is above 70% (1,2+) random vector thrust in the realm of possibility

Some ideas for batteries
1. up to 20 % of the battery capacity is reduced by the percentage of damage
2. above 20% to 30% - (1+) no leaks, but can't be recharged
3. above a 30% (1,2+) leakage power and... battery discharge

haha.. and for RITEG... from the heat... and to a small nuclear explosion :) ASTA La Vista baby :)))) (c) terminator

I am glad to hear that! :)

The actual damage effects on the different parts are something I'm working on slowly but steadily. I am working on the command pods, primarily. I really want Kerbal's to be stuck inside if the pod receives too much damage.

I like the idea for the batteries. 
Engine overheating effects probably need a bit more balancing. They seem to overheat quite quickly at even the slightest damage. Although that was by design in the first place, seeing as engines don't explode as easy as in vanilla, I didn't want the game to become too easy. Just landing on your engine willy-nilly. 

Glad to read that you changed the water damages system, using BDa and making a warship was impossible, the ship would take a huge amount of damages and be completely twisted as soon as it came into physic range (increased at 10000m with Bda) I hope that's fixed, I'll tests asap

Also, an idea for dented wings and airbreaks

the wings could loose lift by the % of damages they have (70% of damages would result in a 70% loss of lift) it would definitely make a wild landing interesting especially at high speed 

For the airbreaks, they could loose drag when deployed or even get jammed though idk if the latter is possible for you, ctrl surfaces would use the same system as the wings with even funnier effects

I wish you good luck for the development of this mod and be sure that's one that's gonna stick in my game for long, it's just so fun especially with the lag coming from Dark Multiplayer, making a formation flight or a docking is way more thrilling

11 hours ago, anxcon said:

EnzoMeertens had a thought today for a mod right up your line - KKS can handle dents, need a mod to sim cloth so chutes can tear :) and wave in the air helplessly as some cable drags it

That feels like out of the range of KSP physics, but if Enzo could do this, that would be amazing

1 hour ago, Falco01 said:

the wings could loose lift by the % of damages they have (70% of damages would result in a 70% loss of lift) it would definitely make a wild landing interesting especially at high speed 

For the airbreaks, they could loose drag when deployed or even get jammed though idk if the latter is possible for you, ctrl surfaces would use the same system as the wings with even funnier effects

I wish you good luck for the development of this mod and be sure that's one that's gonna stick in my game for long, it's just so fun especially with the lag coming from Dark Multiplayer, making a formation flight or a docking is way more thrilling

Seems like FAR already handles the shape of wings. I've experienced some weird aerodynamics after my wing touched the ground occasionally.

9 hours ago, Ser said:

Seems like FAR already handles the shape of wings. I've experienced some weird aerodynamics after my wing touched the ground occasionally.

That way you can h ave it without FAR, even though i like that mod, my pc don't like it with high part count planes

Re: having kerbals stuck inside when part too damaged - i had a nice chat in IRC other day about this, need to set a flag (view mk1 cockpit cfg) and need to rename colliders used for the hatch, though other mods that trigger eva can still work around it. CLS mod blocking passages through too damaged of parts was also brought up. If i canfind some damn time, going to tie KKS damage field into TestFlight, allowing KKS to trigger the large amount of existing failures/effects

on another note, how feasible is it to simulate/fake run the code, to apply a fake "collision" on demand? ie imagine micro meteorites, no real collision would exist, just something triggering the code manually

23 hours ago, Falco01 said:

Glad to read that you changed the water damages system, using BDa and making a warship was impossible, the ship would take a huge amount of damages and be completely twisted as soon as it came into physic range (increased at 10000m with Bda) I hope that's fixed, I'll tests asap

This sounds like an easy way to influence wings! I'll definitely look into it.

Dark Multiplayer is something I'd like to look into sometime as well. Would be awesome if collision effects synced.

On 24-2-2016 at 11:53 PM, anxcon said:

EnzoMeertens had a thought today for a mod right up your line - KKS can handle dents, need a mod to sim cloth so chutes can tear :) and wave in the air helplessly as some cable drags it

This sounds like a perfect gap for a KKS-mod! Replacing a parachute with a broken model and changing the drag accordingly!

Not something I plan on doing soon, though. (I suck at 3D modeling, don't have the patience (nor the skill)).

7 hours ago, anxcon said:

Re: having kerbals stuck inside when part too damaged - i had a nice chat in IRC other day about this, need to set a flag (view mk1 cockpit cfg) and need to rename colliders used for the hatch, though other mods that trigger eva can still work around it. CLS mod blocking passages through too damaged of parts was also brought up. If i canfind some damn time, going to tie KKS damage field into TestFlight, allowing KKS to trigger the large amount of existing failures/effects

on another note, how feasible is it to simulate/fake run the code, to apply a fake "collision" on demand? ie imagine micro meteorites, no real collision would exist, just something triggering the code manually

What would renaming the collider achieve? I looked into the mk1CrewCabin.cfg and it says "noAutoEVA = true", which is the only EVA related thing I can find. No idea what that means, though.

I always use Whack-A-Kerbal to "simulate" collisions.
Or do you mean adding such events to the game so your space station is suddenly entirely deformed because of a meteorite shower? It's pretty easy to create a new Krash and apply it, the biggest problem is finding the correct positions on the vessel you want to damage, which is barely a problem at all.

A Krash just consists of an impact location and impact velocity, both using the part's reference frame. Add it to the "Krashes" list and apply it (ApplyKrash(Krash krash)). Done!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.