[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

23 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Oh, I didn't mean that it doesn't appear on EVA (although I haven't checked yet). I meant that it didn't show up when I was flying a craft normally (i.e. with the kerbal inside a crew capsule. In previous versions I could access the repair function through the right-click menu without having to EVA, now I can't.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)  

EDIT: @AnonymousAerospace Is that happening to you too?

Oh right. That's by design! Don't want things to be too easy! 

Future update:

• Lower level engineers are able to repair once every few minutes/seconds,
  • Higher level engineers are able to repair more often.

Don't do this, I beg you.

There are other ways:

• Maybe engineers can only repair up to a certain threshold of damage corresponding to their skill or cannot repair at all if the part is beyond a certain level of disrepair higher than it.
  • Or implement a resource (like "SpareParts" used in some other mod) and make the skill level affect efficiency at which these are spent.

Cooldowns are the worst.

Also can't wait for the malfunctioning hatches — making kerbals "tourists" might be the simpliest solution. But a more deep model where at some point a kerbal cannot exit a vehicle and beyond that cannot even control it would be much appreciated as well.

Edited by Erquint

@EnzoMeertens in past failing hatches to block eva was mentioned, and i pointed you to flags to block it

just mentioning 1.2 added onAttemptEva gameevent you can use to cancel eva in a cleaner way :) 

On 11/20/2016 at 2:53 PM, Azimech said:

Not sure if feasible but ... imagine damage due to overheating. Not changing the shape of the part but just engines losing power, if possible modified breaking force & torque to simulate metal fatigue etc.

opinion, not to discourage, i view KKS as more of physical / denting damage
this seems like something to add to TestFlight :) which is more behind the cover style damage
though in the case of heat + enough aero force on wings = bending wings, definately sounds fitting

in any case suggest adding to TestFlight thread too :D

Edited by anxcon

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2016 at 1:58 PM, EnzoMeertens said:

Repairing resource is something I've been thinking about for a long time, but I am afraid this might change the gameplay too much.
The only limiting factor I want to introduce to the game is a timer. Allowing repairs to be done once every ten seconds (or so) will punish you quite a bit for crashing your vessel, but not make it a major game changer (I hope).

I will also look into the solar panel damage on Tuesday!

I would just like to field the opinion of the opposite point of view on this.

There is already a widely used and accepted resource that many players are already likely to have on board their crafts as included with CRP; spareparts.

Further I feel that punishing the player with "only time" in this way is actually far more sadistic. Because it requires clicks constantly, you are basically punishing the player with forced tedium. If it were resource based there could still be a small time factor, as in bigger repairs will take longer, but at least then you can walk away from the keyboard or just time warp or something. The real "cost" of repairs should be like every other cost in space, in payload mass delivered to orbit in the form of a repair resource. The tape, nuts and bolts, sheets of adhesive plastic etc. that kerbals would actually have to use to make the repair. 

Just my humble vote that I would rather see a resource based repair cost as the primary balancing tool vs limiting number of repairs that can be performed. 

I am in agreement with Errol. I too feel a timer is an inappropriate limiter and does more to punish the player rather then operate an an in game mechanic. Having a parts resources seems more functionally fitting and can be supplied with a sort of repair kit.

On 8-12-2016 at 8:44 PM, Colonel Cbplayer said:

Bewared of part clipping

This is probably because of the new update. I'll fix it when I'm back in the Netherlands.

I don't know about the resources yet. The main reason being I am unable to model things (lack of skill) like containers. Also depends on how much work it is to add things like resources.

Most command pods have a small amount of spareparts MM'd into them for that purpose by most mods that use them, as far as I'm aware. Check out CRP by roverdude et al. There are also generic containers available in other mods. No reason you couldn't include your own MM .cfg like the others, and then if players want more containers they can use another mod. You should also take a look at Dangit! Continued. It also uses spareparts.

Edited by Errol

@EnzoMeertens as said abovee, MM to add resources to pod etc is what id prefer, you can even have kerbals auto loot pod on eva, or simply pull from vessel during repair action

in either case, i would assume you would put the costs (be it time or resource) within the partmodule, and thus a config could easily set

1.2 also added custom game settings class, so you can have resource cost and time cost both a setting to mark on to use one or both, as well as multipliers to scale by difficulty

the lesson here is "why pick between fans and your dream? do both" :)

Edited by anxcon

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been returning to KKS after a long absence (loved the early mod, but the duplicate pilot mod was fairly game-breaking for EVA and other operations).

It's great to see that this has apparently been fixed. Can anyone attest to how this might affect your framerate? Presumably that's also related to the size of the ship (and perhaps the damaging you're inflicting on the ship). Since the formal support of 64-bit (a godsend) I've been getting much improved performance in-game (though not as well as I'd like it), so I've become more mindful of the fact. 

I read on the main page that:

Resilience of parts is a lot greater in KSP 1.1.

... so it it normal that a free fall from the orbit barely bends a bit the fuel tank? Planes crash into pieces but all parts are singularly intact. Is this what you all get at the moment? Or it might be a compatibility issue with other mods? (KIS? KAS?... I don't know...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ditto with the others, I played around a good bit with it on the current release and craft are much tougher than they used to be.  You have to really wipe out a vessel to get any mesh deformations and I was just bouncing off stuff alot of times.  Mod still works, just needs some tweaking.   I imagine someone will pick it up.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.01.2017 at 0:42 AM, EnzoMeertens said:

My apologies. 

Lately I am not getting any time to work on this mod.

The source is online. Maybe others can look at this for the time being?

seems to me much better to Squad take this mod and insert in game . It so great... but small size.. i think it must be in stock game

• 3 weeks later...

guys, idea;

what if the atmospheric pressure (or the deep ocean) start to bend the structure, just like the crash system of this mod?
i think it will be a great implementation!!
i don't know exactly hot to manage the .cfg file to make this possible, but i think it is: someone can help me to start this?

Could also set it so that Engineers can repair some effects that result from damage, depending on their level.  i.e. an engineer past a certain level can completely repair a leak. 

Additionally, if some damage completely disabled something (like a control surface's ability to act as a control surface, or the gimbal effect of an engine), a good enough engineer could potentially repair that part to partial effectiveness.

On 13-3-2017 at 3:38 PM, SartinMax said:

guys, idea;

what if the atmospheric pressure (or the deep ocean) start to bend the structure, just like the crash system of this mod?
i think it will be a great implementation!!
i don't know exactly hot to manage the .cfg file to make this possible, but i think it is: someone can help me to start this?

The .cfg file isn't enough to do this. You would need to create a new KKS mod.

There's a link on the first page on how to create your own KKS mods. Plus you can see examples of KKS mods, like the leaks and repairs, in the Github repository.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.