[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

2 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

i test 0.17, maybe it issues (&maybe it is solved in 0.021, soory I dont have time to test it again today in 0.021):

test3 times= fall from same altitude-different angles

1. science parts explodes (and lab 2)

2. mk2 parts (except crew pod) and "panter" engine undamaged (then it falls from same altitude like other parts)

and ..in 0.021

2line of damage in "spark" engine

Damage scales with crash tolerance, where impact velocity has to be greater than (crash tolerance / malleability). Maybe the MK2 parts are more crash tolerant? 

The two lines of damage is a familiar bug, I hope to get around to that tomorrow. This occurs when an engine has more than one "ModuleEngines" attached.

37 minutes ago, CaribouGone said:

Hey! This looks awesome! definitely gonna have to try this out.

just from reading through the thread and peeking at the download, i have a couple thoughts:

make impact tolerance scaling and severity of damage (%dmg per kN of impact, or however its calculated) tweakable via cfg. (this is important, IMHO)

lower impact tolerance and max temp dynamically, as a function of damage. thus, the likelihood of explosions and Rapid-Unplanned-Disassembly increase the more you abuse your vehicle.

as for integration with BD armory:

BDA's damage is represented as heat, so bullet-riddled wings doesn't seem likely. bullets might also produce force (i can't remember), so there may be hope. BDA adds considerable force to explosions, sending parts flying, and colliding. so, even without any explicit cooperation between these mods, i bet they'll be pretty darn cool together.

Tweakable damage is now on the list!

Damage already causes more heat production which causes your engines to overheat faster.

I'll look into BD Armory sometime. Force doesn't mean collision, unfortunately. But maybe BD Armory uses actual projectiles (rigidbodies) or particles (which would mean I could use data from the OnParticleCollision function.

30 minutes ago, Dragonbeater89 said:

It would be cool to add some sort of heat damage mod too,  if fuel tanks receive heat damage they may explode.

Sounds good! 

OMG, best mod ever.

I have so many ideas of what diffrent parts could do when damaged.

The commnad pods- I would suggest having monoprop leak ( if present), Maybe theres a certain amount of time delay to get out of the command pod after pressing EVA.

Wings- Not as effective, throws of center of lift based on where it got hit.

Solar panels- Not as effective.

Batteries - Makes it take longer to charge based on damage.

And more!

These are just my suggestions. Keep working on this blessed mod. This has a chance of becoming stock someday...

i know the engines overheat. i meant for all parts. that would make re-entry more difficult, damaged parts near engines will heat up sooner than expected, ect.

the repair option is available all the time, rather than accessible via eva, like tire patching. is this intentional?

i tried BD Armory a bit. there didn't seem to be much meaningful interaction. explosions didn't knock things around enough to produce good collisions.

i tried some sepratron-decoupler missiles, and those produced significant damage. this mod might finally make stock weaponry cool (for me, at least)!

I have a request: I would love to be able to edit a config file so I can adapt values for my own mod WW2 Warships. My mod uses extremely heavy and huge parts with a very high crash tolerance so it's compatible and damage scales with NAS turrets. I was thinking a few days before I saw this mod that I would like a damage texture and reduced efficiency for ModuleResourceConverter (the hack I use to prevent the ships from sinking). This is better but since the stats are so distant from stock parts, I can't really imagine it will produce favorable results. To be honest, I'm going to try now.

Here's an album with example skirmish:

Edited by Azimech
Stupid me, it's already on the list.

7 hours ago, ThaZeus said:

OMG, best mod ever.

I have so many ideas of what different parts could do when damaged.

The command pods- I would suggest having monoprop leak ( if present), Maybe there's a certain amount of time delay to get out of the command pod after pressing EVA.

Wings- Not as effective, throws of center of lift based on where it got hit.

Solar panels- Not as effective.

Batteries - Makes it take longer to charge based on damage.

And more!

These are just my suggestions. Keep working on this blessed mod. This has a chance of becoming stock someday...

Thank you! 

These are some excellent examples of what's possible in KKS-mods!

6 hours ago, CaribouGone said:

i know the engines overheat. i meant for all parts. that would make re-entry more difficult, damaged parts near engines will heat up sooner than expected, ect.

the repair option is available all the time, rather than accessible via eva, like tire patching. is this intentional?

i tried BD Armory a bit. there didn't seem to be much meaningful interaction. explosions didn't knock things around enough to produce good collisions.

i tried some sepratron-decoupler missiles, and those produced significant damage. this mod might finally make stock weaponry cool (for me, at least)!

The repair option being available all the time isn't intentional. I forgot to turn that option off before uploading it. I'll turn it off and upload a new version later today.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

I have a request: I would love to be able to edit a config file so I can adapt values for my own mod WW2 Warships. My mod uses extremely heavy and huge parts with a very high crash tolerance so it's compatible and damage scales with NAS turrets. I was thinking a few days before I saw this mod that I would like a damage texture and reduced efficiency for ModuleResourceConverter (the hack I use to prevent the ships from sinking). This is better but since the stats are so distant from stock parts, I can't really imagine it will produce favorable results. To be honest, I'm going to try now.

Here's an album with example skirmish:

Wow! Those look amazing. And that water looks amazing, too! 

I may upload a mod for you, sometime. I've made buoyancy/sink mod for a video I made once.

Sample of the mod: 

The orange tank fills up with water to counter-act the buoyancy of the airbags.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Yep, it seems KKS and my mod are not compatible yet. Well it runs AFAIK ... but there's no visible damage, just the usual explosions.

I'll have to take a look at how damage works in your mod. KKS only calculates deformations OnCollisionEnter. This function is not called when it's just particles or a force impacting the parts.

Tested the seaplane. Landing on water:
1. the speed of 30m/s horizontal, to -5m/s vertical no damage! great seaplanes work as normal!
2. speed 70+ horizontal vertical -60. The plane crashed and broke apart, but no damage. Oops this is a bug... it must be: damaged in%, deformed!

test "water" video: https://youtu.be/fAy_27ceusg

and example of damage in real life....: https://youtu.be/gt2hQj2btaA

https://youtu.be/LpRt9Yxdces

Edited by *MajorTom*

I was wondering, is the deformation related to the crash tolerance ?

'Cause I've been playing around a lot with it and ended writing a config that multiply all part's impact tol. by 3 and I have to hit a fuel tank at 500m/s with a plane to cause some significant visual damages

Maybe a cfg or a menu to tweak the mod's setting would be useful to solve that or for those who like to see their ships in peices

Last but not least, with this collision I managed to stuck a control surface in the side of a fuel tank, amazing mod really

First of all congrats for release this mod and already in Modding Monday! To be honest i've been missing/thinking this kind of part damage system almost as long i've been playing KSP and finally EnzoMeertens took this idea and made it possible!

I'm really curious to know do you have any further ideas how that dmg is going to affect command pods? Just my personal thoughts but it would be awesome if this could handle maybe rover wheels or solar panels dmg/repairs in future.

Anyways ! I'm really enjoying to play around with this mod right now and looking forward to see how this mod is going to grow and getting better... Long live KKS! :)

2 hours ago, MK3424 said:

Now you've made it to the headlines! 

Even Squad loves it!

That's awesome! I am speechless. To be mentioned by the creators of my favourite game of all time is absolutely amazing.

3 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

Tested the seaplane. Landing on water:
1. the speed of 30m/s horizontal, to -5m/s vertical no damage! great seaplanes work as normal!
2. speed 70+ horizontal vertical -60. The plane crashed and broke apart, but no damage. Oops this is a bug... it must be: damaged in%, deformed!

test "water" video: https://youtu.be/fAy_27ceusg

and example of damage in real life....: https://youtu.be/gt2hQj2btaA

https://youtu.be/LpRt9Yxdces

I'll add water to my to-do list! 

43 minutes ago, Falco01 said:

I was wondering, is the deformation related to the crash tolerance ?

'Cause I've been playing around a lot with it and ended writing a config that multiply all part's impact tol. by 3 and I have to hit a fuel tank at 500m/s with a plane to cause some significant visual damages

Maybe a cfg or a menu to tweak the mod's setting would be useful to solve that or for those who like to see their ships in peices

Last but not least, with this collision I managed to stuck a control surface in the side of a fuel tank, amazing mod really

Yes, I scale the crash tolerances of all parts depending on their type (command pods are already very crash tolerant, so I scale them by 2, engines are too weak, so I scaled them by 10, and such).

I'll add a config (added to my to-do list)!

16 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

mmh seems really cool :) do you plan for your fuel leaks to also generate a tiny amount of thrust ? (in the same direction as the leak FX is going):) 

That sounds like a really fun feature! I'll definitely add that!

"Point the leaking crack retrograde, captain!"

Edited by EnzoMeertens

This is the best thing ever. It's just... I'm speechless. 

Normally my vocabulary includes words like perfervid and vitriolic, possibly even capitulate and cozen. I can't actually find anything to say here. It's just too incredible. You just managed to blow my mind. 

Also, the only advantage Space Engineers had over KSP, its damage system, is rendered entirely moot by your surpassingly awesome mod. (Awesome is not a word I bandy with overconfidence.) 

Wow, i cant remember someone being featured by Squad within a few days of joining the forum. This mod looks very promising!

Suggestion: Damage on capsules (and other reentry resistant parts) should result in a lower heat tolerance, making reentry with a damaged part very risky.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

...in the presence of oxygen, of course :D

Of course.

Depending on exactly what is leaking that might be right there in the mix. Shouldn`t explode just liquid fuel anywhere except kerbin, duna and laythe though and no exploding mono or xenon anywhere..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.