[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

7 hours ago, FungusForge said:

If its too small to read the damage percentage is nearly forty thousand percent on the poor AES pod. How Jeb survived is beyond me.

Interesting point: this mod does create the possibility of some but not all of the kerbals in a pod being killed.

1 hour ago, damerell said:

Interesting point: this mod does create the possibility of some but not all of the kerbals in a pod being killed.

I like this idea, would make command pod damage more of a danger!

Perhaps in addition to possibly being killed a Kerbal could be "Injured" and thus unable to perform EVA's due ton a broken leg/arm/whatever.

A pilot could even lose his ability to use SAS and other advanced pilot abilities due to a concussion! (Basically reverting him to level 1 until you return him to Kerbin for medical treatment.)

On 13-1-2016 at 8:10 PM, mysteriosmind said:

By reading through the last posts I take it that repairing parts only takes some tool to be equiped and happens instantly. How do you feel about needing some ressource (spare parts?) for repairs as well that an engineer could salvage from other parts by breaking them (besides it coming in containers) and repairs (and salvaging) taking time? Together with some other mods (live support) this could turn a crash landing into an interesting fight for survival with decisions like "do I first fix the oxygen leak or the fuel leak?" or "do I try to get back in time with a broken air scrubber or do I salvage spare part from the engine to repair it?"

I like this idea a lot. Making hard decisions in space sounds amazing. 

On 13-1-2016 at 10:48 PM, Errol said:

I think that damaged engine bells should also be given a slightly off-center thrust vector.

14 hours ago, jojojona said:

For damaged reaction wheels, you could lower the torque they produce, as well as for wheels, so they get less powerful.

(If possible, Kerbal Foundries support would awesome for that, somewhere in the distant future...)

8 hours ago, damerell said:

7 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I like this idea, would make command pod damage more of a danger!

Perhaps in addition to possibly being killed a Kerbal could be "Injured" and thus unable to perform EVA's due ton a broken leg/arm/whatever.

A pilot could even lose his ability to use SAS and other advanced pilot abilities due to a concussion! (Basically reverting him to level 1 until you return him to Kerbin for medical treatment.)

3 hours ago, FungusForge said:

Or Scientists could double as medical officers, using the science lab or something as a field hospital.

Very awesome ideas! I bet there'll be a mod for that! 

I'm working on the tutorial now. This will hopefully add a lot of clarity to KKS and KKS-mods and open up all your ideas to a wider audience (of modders).

Latest version is up:

1. Loosely coupled KIS-support (using wrenches/screwdrivers to repair damage in EVA),
  2. Disable repair from non-EVA.
  3. Refactored some parts of my code to allow for easier KKS-mods.
Edited by EnzoMeertens

This is phenominal.

A suggestion regarding injured Kerbals, though: Let them EVA, even if they can't do anything else.

Some days you'll be needing to rescue Kerbals from stricken vessels, after all, and there's no other way to move them at present. :)

1 hour ago, Reiver said:

This is phenominal.

A suggestion regarding injured Kerbals, though: Let them EVA, even if they can't do anything else.

Some days you'll be needing to rescue Kerbals from stricken vessels, after all, and there's no other way to move them at present. :)

Clicking on the hatches still works, doesn't it?

for a repair resource, i suggest either Recyclables or SpecializedParts, as they already have definitions in the community resource pack and they're already used by MKS.

a couple ideas for damaged parts:

Decouplers/StackSeparators fire with a different force than configured, or fail to fire altogether. Fuel Flow could be Enabled/Disabled.

Docking Ports could come undone upon collision, fail to berth if undocked, or enable/disable fuel flow.

Drills/ISRU could overheat and explode like engines.

This should provide the best deformations yet: https://github.com/rbray89/KerbalKrashSystem/blob/master/Source/KerbalKrashSystem/KerbalKrashGlobal.cs
It should be a lot faster (transforms contact points and distances rather than vertex) and uses distance from contact point to determine how much to deform, so it looks a lot better too. I gave up on grouping the vertices. The procedural deformations made the grouping pretty much irrelevant. 

18 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

This should provide the best deformations yet: https://github.com/rbray89/KerbalKrashSystem/blob/master/Source/KerbalKrashSystem/KerbalKrashGlobal.cs
It should be a lot faster (transforms contact points and distances rather than vertex) and uses distance from contact point to determine how much to deform, so it looks a lot better too. I gave up on grouping the vertices. The procedural deformations made the grouping pretty much irrelevant. 

I'll try it right now! :3

I've uploaded a tutorial on how to create your own KKS-mods. This should hopefully relieve me of some feature requests! :lol:

KKS-mods will allow others to use Damage to influence gameplay (e.g. Command pod doors getting stuck).

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

Very satisfying. I will add this to the next update.

Ran into a really odd and slightly amusing bug while testing the newest version of this mod out.

Every time I EVA a Kerbal and then re-enter the command pod it leaves a duplicate Kerbal holding onto the outside of the pod despite the original one being inside it now, this can be repeated over and over to make dozens of Kerbal clones, not only that but they can be controlled be switching to them! Has anyone else experienced this while using KKS? Would someone mind trying to reproduce it?

Can't be 100% sure what's causing it as I use other mods, but it started directly after installing KKS and stopped after removing it so I suspect it's playing a part. Could be a conflict between mods, not sure...I can provide a list of mods I'm using if that'll help?

If you are still thinking about making an effect for leaking tanks might I suggest that you use an effect similar to the cool rockets ice effect at launch, but with more particles? Also, as for crew pod damage, maybe if you have a life support mod you could have it leak oxygen and water?

52 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Ran into a really odd and slightly amusing bug while testing the newest version of this mod out.

Every time I EVA a Kerbal and then re-enter the command pod it leaves a duplicate Kerbal holding onto the outside of the pod despite the original one being inside it now, this can be repeated over and over to make dozens of Kerbal clones, not only that but they can be controlled be switching to them! Has anyone else experienced this while using KKS? Would someone mind trying to reproduce it?

Can't be 100% sure what's causing it as I use other mods, but it started directly after installing KKS and stopped after removing it so I suspect it's playing a part. Could be a conflict between mods, not sure...I can provide a list of mods I'm using if that'll help?

That's really strange! 

I tried it just now, and I am unable to reproduce this effect. A list of all your mods could prove useful.

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I have had this bug a lot in the past, long before before KKS was a thing. I can't remember which mod was causing it, but I suspect it was USI-LS.

As a workaround, when it happens: First, quicksave. I am writing from memory, and might be completely wrong. In particular, I may have gotten wrong which Kerbal has the science and inventory.

Exit the original Kerbal from the pod. The original should have all the KIS items, transfer those to the pod (or the clone that's now hanging out beside you) or you'll lose them. Enter the pod with the original; it will then disappear, leaving only the clone outside. Now enter the pod with the clone and get your items back; the game will pretend nothing ever happened.

(if you're not playing with KIS and losing the inventory is not an issue, you can just fiddle around with them until one disappears. I'm not sure if science is safe, so just store that in the pod anyway)

Edited by monstah

3 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

That's really strange! 

I tried it just now, and I am unable to reproduce this effect. A list of all your mods could prove useful.

2 hours ago, monstah said:

I have had this bug a lot in the past, long before before KKS was a thing. I can't remember which mod was causing it, but I suspect it was USI-LS.

As a workaround, when it happens: First, quicksave. I am writing from memory, and might be completely wrong. In particular, I may have gotten wrong which Kerbal has the science and inventory.

Exit the original Kerbal from the pod. The original should have all the KIS items, transfer those to the pod (or the clone that's now hanging out beside you) or you'll lose them. Enter the pod with the original; it will then disappear, leaving only the clone outside. Now enter the pod with the clone and get your items back; the game will pretend nothing ever happened.

(if you're not playing with KIS and losing the inventory is not an issue, you can just fiddle around with them until one disappears. I'm not sure if science is safe, so just store that in the pod anyway)

I don't have USI-LS or KIS, but I do have Snacks! which is similar to USI-LS I suppose? (They are both life support mods.)

Never saw this bug before using KKS but I'm certainly not ruling out any of my other mods lol.

Full list of mods in spoiler:

Spoiler
  • Chatterer
  • HullCameraVDS
  • RasterPropMonitor
  • VesselView
  • KER
  • MechJeb
  • PartCommander
  • RCSBuildAid
  • ScienceAlert
  • SlingShotter
  • Snacks/SnacksParts
  • ClawsStockBugFixes
  • StockClamshellFairings
  • TakeCommand
  • AlternateResourcePanel
  • WASDEditorCamera
  • WaypointManager

Most of them are UI mods so I'm pretty sure it's got to be either the Raster Prop Monitors or Snacks Life Support that is either causing the bug or conflicting with KKS and causing the bug. I'll try to reproduce the bug by adding KKS back in and seeing what happens.

Update:

I can confirm that the bug reliably appears/disappears when adding/removing KKS from my "gamedata" folder. I'm thinking it might have something to do with Raster Prop Monitors since they change all the command pod IVA's?

Picture under spoiler...be warned, it's a little...creepy lol.

Spoiler

M4U8JzR.png

One of us...

One of us...

One of us...

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket
Updated info.

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I don't have USI-LS or KIS, but I do have Snacks! which is similar to USI-LS I suppose? (They are both life support mods.)

Never saw this bug before using KKS but I'm certainly not ruling out any of my other mods lol.

Full list of mods in spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Chatterer
  • HullCameraVDS
  • RasterPropMonitor
  • VesselView
  • KER
  • MechJeb
  • PartCommander
  • RCSBuildAid
  • ScienceAlert
  • SlingShotter
  • Snacks/SnacksParts
  • ClawsStockBugFixes
  • StockClamshellFairings
  • TakeCommand
  • AlternateResourcePanel
  • WASDEditorCamera
  • WaypointManager

Most of them are UI mods so I'm pretty sure it's got to be either the Raster Prop Monitors or Snacks Life Support that is either causing the bug or conflicting with KKS and causing the bug. I'll try to reproduce the bug by adding KKS back in and seeing what happens.

Update:

I can confirm that the bug reliably appears/disappears when adding/removing KKS from my "gamedata" folder. I'm thinking it might have something to do with Raster Prop Monitors since they change all the command pod IVA's?

Picture under spoiler...be warned, it's a little...creepy lol.

Reveal hidden contents

M4U8JzR.png

One of us...

One of us...

One of us...

I've tried both KKS + Snacks and KKS + Snacks and Raster Prop Monitors, but I am unable to reproduce the described result.

I'll try to find the conflicting mod tomorrow.

1 hour ago, EnzoMeertens said:

I've tried both KKS + Snacks and KKS + Snacks and Raster Prop Monitors, but I am unable to reproduce the described result.

I'll try to find the conflicting mod tomorrow.

Don't lose any sleep over it, doesn't seem to be affecting anyone but me lol!

Even with this bug I still like your mod, the cloned Kerbals seem harmless enough really, they tend to disappear when loading another vessel/recovering the craft/reverting.

I gotta admit though...I do get this pang of guilt every time I watch one float off into the void... 

Fantastic mod.  You modders are making my hard drive very cranky... but I love it.

Don't know if mentioned; but when I EVA on Mun or Minmus, I can't jump or use the suit thrusters.  Also when I EVA in space, I spin uncontrollably.  This was the only mod I installed in a week.

*update:  Removed the mod and now everything works.  Now Bill won't have a crater named after him!

Edited by Fr8monkey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.