EnzoMeertens

[1.7.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.4.7) 2018-04-26

Recommended Posts

Would it be possible to control the rate of loss and total amount of a resource lost depending on what the resource is or much damage has been done to the container? For example I can understand loosing LOX from a slight hole overtime, but would a crate of rocket parts or food "leak" out over time? I think a more logical type of loss for the resource would be to impacts, from them being knocked loose and crushed. Also a half crushed container holding less also would be fitting from what I saw "playing" in conex yards. A Humvee can do a surprising amount of damage on to one those things....

Edited by DigitalProeliator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this looks amazing! 2 questions:

1. Does this make launch clamps manditory or can rockets still support weight? I'm fine with either way but it could cause problems for early career games before launch clamps are unlocked.

2. Would you consider incorporating the engineer's repair ability into this, or is that beyond the scope of the mod?

Thanks!

Edited by The Yellow Dart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MK3424 said:

Your mod has really been noticed

Also...

I was wondering if you might implement a solar panel damage system with this? 

Right now they only snap off... 

It would be cool if they would be damaged the same way that Progress M-34 collided with MIR:

Wow! That's amazing! I didn't expect this to even get more than a handful of replies/downloads! 

I will definitely look into physicsless parts soon. Physicsless parts, like the landing gears, decouplers and solar panels behave differently when colliding with things (on collision KSP returns the part the physicsless part is attached to (solar panel attached to fuel tank: will always return the fuel tank as the colliding part)).

 

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Tried it, really love it except the landing wheels look very wonky when struck and tend to get damaged very easily. Other parts can stretch out to ridiculous proportions at times as well, I can provide some screenies if it would help you.

I've also seen parts go over 100% damaged, all the way up to 245% or something in one case. Is this intended or a bug?

Can't wait to see this mod grow and get ironed out more, I'm amazed something like this can be added to the game by a modder, keep up the fantastic work man! :D

The more-than-desired stretching is on my to-do list (now). The problem occurs especially when skidding over the surface and colliding at high speeds the entire time.

Parts going over 100% is intended (for now), as I don't like the idea of just blowing up a "working" part when it's damaged. In my opinion an engine damaged at 250% would be functional enough to at least give me a bit of a boost before exploding due to overheating.

Maybe "working" parts above 100% damage damage themselves when used, which cause more damage and therefore more overheating or some such. Much food for thought!

 

1 hour ago, DigitalProeliator said:

Would it be possible to control the rate of loss and total amount of a resource lost depending on what the resource is or much damage has been done to the container? For example I can understand loosing LOX from a slight hole overtime, but would a crate of rocket parts or food "leak" out over time? I think a more logical type of loss for the resource would be to impacts, from them being knocked loose and crushed. Also a half crushed container holding less also would be fitting from what I saw "playing" in conex yards. A Humvee can do a surprising amount of damage on to one those things....

The configuration files of parts certainly for allow differentiation in such a way. Putting it on my to-do list! 

 

Quote

Wow this looks amazing! 2 questions:

1. Does this make launch clamps mandatory or can rockets still support weight? I'm fine with either way but it could cause problems for early career games before launch clamps are unlocked.

2. Would you consider incorporating the engineer's repair ability into this, or is that beyond the scope of the mod?

Thanks!

 

1. Everything can still support weight, just like vanilla. The only difference is impact velocity. :3

2. Repairing is definitely on the agenda. 

 

The only problem right now is a lack of free time to work on my mods! 

Edited by EnzoMeertens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mod is really great, but it has rendered spaceplanes completely unable to be launched.

The landing gear, even with OP's suggested fix in the cfg, damages whatever component it is attached to, often times fuel tanks or engines that completely disable the craft during liftoff.

Probably an easy fix, but super frustrating and I have to remove the mod until this gets changed.

Additionally, as Rocket in my Pocket said, there are some interesting cases of aesthetic damage that get really wonky, and I have seen damage go over 1,000%.

I'm not using any other mods that would conflict, and my runway is paved. It seems that the damage is directly tied to the distance traveled by the landing gear, not necessarily speed of craft.

I think this is an awesome mod with huge potential and I'm really excited to see where it goes as the creator finds time to fix some wonky bugs. I'm sure it's tough for one person to fix these issues, hopefully you find some time OP. Loving this mod otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mod is unbelievably awesome and well overdue! Shame on you for taking so long to make this! :P (you are great)

  • Any chance of emitting puffs of gas from damaged fuel tanks to further emphasis leaking?
  • Maybe shifting the thrust slightly off center for damaged engines?
  • Maybe a damaged unfired SRB could explode on ignition?
  • damaged command pods/probe cores could loose there reaction wheels and or lights or electric charge?

again great work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaping up to become an SBS (Should-be-Stock) mod.

I'll send out some pigeon messages and get the Inner Circle ready to commit for the next alignment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder of this would let me have holes appear in my wings when they get shot up in BD eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks amazing, very promising.

From a career POV, damage should severely impact recovery value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so great. Poorly planned Mun landings were never so fun!

I'm curious if there's any way to incorporate atmospheric damage for antennae and solar panels? I'm not sure if it's stock or just with RemoteTech, but some antennae break if they are extended while flying at speed through atmosphere. It'd be cool if there was a chance to get bent out of shape instead.

Re Solar panels, I know you can break the panels off another craft by crashing into it, sending glittery shattered panel goodness all across the cosmos. Would it be possible to grab that shattering event and instead turn that into a damaged but still functional panel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is amazing, great work OP! 

14 hours ago, Capt Snuggler said:

Maybe a damaged unfired SRB could explode on ignition?

This is Delta II all over again..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a few tests and it work really well for me apart from one detail

Only the fuel tanks, pods and engines using stock modules work for deformation, the rest (modded or not) don't, even the other crewed part that are not command pods don't deform, it's a bit bothering when you do a nice belly landing with a plane and that only the fuselage get damaged

 

Maybe I missed something in the description since nobody reported that on here yet, or there is a problem with my install which is heavily modded

I'm gonna try asap with a stock install to see if it work well, I also tried to change the .cfg to make the "ModuleKerbalKrashContainer" apply to all other parts which didn't changed anything nor did the ":final" 

 

Apart from that, it's a wonderful mod which I hope to become stock one day

last but not least, I crashed a huge 747 (I tried to do a belly landing in fact) and didn't had any more lag than without a mod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, zachstronaut said:

This mod is really great, but it has rendered spaceplanes completely unable to be launched.

The landing gear, even with OP's suggested fix in the cfg, damages whatever component it is attached to, often times fuel tanks or engines that completely disable the craft during liftoff.

Probably an easy fix, but super frustrating and I have to remove the mod until this gets changed.

Additionally, as Rocket in my Pocket said, there are some interesting cases of aesthetic damage that get really wonky, and I have seen damage go over 1,000%.

I'm not using any other mods that would conflict, and my runway is paved. It seems that the damage is directly tied to the distance traveled by the landing gear, not necessarily speed of craft.

I think this is an awesome mod with huge potential and I'm really excited to see where it goes as the creator finds time to fix some wonky bugs. I'm sure it's tough for one person to fix these issues, hopefully you find some time OP. Loving this mod otherwise.

I'm working on the landing gears right now. It's now the first on the list.  (Quick fixed).

Thank you for your feedback :3

 

22 hours ago, Capt Snuggler said:

This mod is unbelievably awesome and well overdue! Shame on you for taking so long to make this! :P (you are great)

  • Any chance of emitting puffs of gas from damaged fuel tanks to further emphasis leaking?
  • Maybe shifting the thrust slightly off center for damaged engines?
  • Maybe a damaged unfired SRB could explode on ignition?
  • damaged command pods/probe cores could loose there reaction wheels and or lights or electric charge?

again great work.

12 hours ago, colmo said:

This looks amazing, very promising.

From a career POV, damage should severely impact recovery value.

There will be a "mod" for that.

I'll explain in more detail in days to come.

Let's call these "mods" "KKS-mods". My idea is that KKS-mods use data from KKS to trigger certain gameplay events based on damage, e.g. damaged unfired SRB exploding on ignition.
These KKS-mods will be included in the KKS download and can be removed/modified by the user if so desired.

 

21 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Shaping up to become an SBS (Should-be-Stock) mod.

I'll send out some pigeon messages and get the Inner Circle ready to commit for the next alignment...

7 hours ago, viktor19 said:

This is amazing, great work OP! 

This is Delta II all over again..

Thank you! 

 

13 hours ago, Rath said:

I wonder of this would let me have holes appear in my wings when they get shot up in BD eventually.

Sounds hard. 

 

8 hours ago, FatherLawrence said:

This is so great. Poorly planned Mun landings were never so fun!

I'm curious if there's any way to incorporate atmospheric damage for antennae and solar panels? I'm not sure if it's stock or just with RemoteTech, but some antennae break if they are extended while flying at speed through atmosphere. It'd be cool if there was a chance to get bent out of shape instead.

Re Solar panels, I know you can break the panels off another craft by crashing into it, sending glittery shattered panel goodness all across the cosmos. Would it be possible to grab that shattering event and instead turn that into a damaged but still functional panel?

I think stock solar panels already break when exposed to too much friction. Bending is different from crumpling, but it's definitely worth future investigation (be my guest)! 

 

5 hours ago, supersonicflyingdutchman said:

Would be nice if you could use different KIS tools for different kinds of damage. For example a hammer to remove most of the crumpling, and a (pipe) wrench for fixing fuel leaks.

Duct tape. :rolleyes:

 

3 hours ago, Falco01 said:

I did a few tests and it work really well for me apart from one detail

Only the fuel tanks, pods and engines using stock modules work for deformation, the rest (modded or not) don't, even the other crewed part that are not command pods don't deform, it's a bit bothering when you do a nice belly landing with a plane and that only the fuselage get damaged

 

Maybe I missed something in the description since nobody reported that on here yet, or there is a problem with my install which is heavily modded

I'm gonna try asap with a stock install to see if it work well, I also tried to change the .cfg to make the "ModuleKerbalKrashContainer" apply to all other parts which didn't changed anything nor did the ":final" 

 

Apart from that, it's a wonderful mod which I hope to become stock one day

last but not least, I crashed a huge 747 (I tried to do a belly landing in fact) and didn't had any more lag than without a mod

Thank you for reporting this problem, fixed it.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EnzoMeertens said:

Thank you for reporting this problem

No problem, glad to help, keep up the good work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will this be compatible with FAR?like, will the aerodynamic shape of a vessel change with how its dented and such?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 123nick said:

will this be compatible with FAR?like, will the aerodynamic shape of a vessel change with how its dented and such?

I don't know how FAR works. I doubt it (at least for the near future).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 123nick said:

will this be compatible with FAR?like, will the aerodynamic shape of a vessel change with how its dented and such?

 

2 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

I don't know how FAR works. I doubt it (at least for the near future).

@ferram4 will answer better, but AFAIK for that to work you just have to deform the colliders along with the graphical geometry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, monstah said:

 

@ferram4 will answer better, but AFAIK for that to work you just have to deform the colliders along with the graphical geometry

ahh, so the colliders dont deform? oh well i think it would work with FAR then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 123nick said:

ahh, so the colliders dont deform? oh well i think it would work with FAR then.

I don't know if this mod currently deforms them or not, I'm just saying that, if it does, it'll affect FAR aerodynamics as expected :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, KyleKidd said:

Hey EnzoMeertens, I've just finished a mod spotlight of the Kerbal Krash System.  Check It Out On YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROc_SERBHs

WOOP1! Nice video! 

Thank you so much! :3

 

In other news:

Worked on the deformations today, looks a lot better and a lot less spikey now.

Worked on repairing, seems to work properly... Mostly. (Some dents are too big and are not easily recalculated to their repaired state, I'll fix that soon).

Working on KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) integration as we speak.

 

1 "Woop": An expression designed to express approval, happiness, joy, and/or excitement.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some issues:

maybe update Module Manager to ...2.6.17 in Gamedata folder?

and in 0.0.17 you forgot about /KerbalKrashSystem/ folder

Edited by *MajorTom*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, *MajorTom* said:

some issues:

maybe update Module Manager to ...2.6.17 in Gamedata folder?

and in 0.0.17 you forgot about /KerbalKrashSystem/ folder

Done and fixed!

Uploaded a new version (0.022) which adds smoother deformations (less random) and repairing (no KIS, yet).

 

Repairs can now be done all the way to 0% damage. This will change in the future, although I am not sure in what way. 

Repairs don't work PERFECTLY, right now. Sometimes damage is applied in such a way vertices move beyond my preset maximum range. If this happens, the undo-function will skip these vertices which doesn't undo the visual damage.

 

This latest version also kind of displays what I want to do with KKS-mods. KerbalKrashSystem_Repair.dll is a mod that uses the damage data and functions in KKS to repair the part damage.

Edited by EnzoMeertens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i test 0.17, maybe it issues (&maybe it is solved in 0.021, soory I dont have time to test it again today in 0.021):

test3 times= fall from same altitude-different angles

1. science parts explodes (and lab 2)

2. mk2 parts (except crew pod) and "panter" engine undamaged (then it falls from same altitude like other parts)

43a82e51a940.png

and ..in 0.021

2line of damage in "spark" engine

11521ab55dda.png

Edited by *MajorTom*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! This looks awesome! definitely gonna have to try this out.

just from reading through the thread and peeking at the download, i have a couple thoughts:

make impact tolerance scaling and severity of damage (%dmg per kN of impact, or however its calculated) tweakable via cfg. (this is important, IMHO)

lower impact tolerance and max temp dynamically, as a function of damage. thus, the likelihood of explosions and Rapid-Unplanned-Disassembly increase the more you abuse your vehicle.

as for integration with BD armory:

BDA's damage is represented as heat, so bullet-riddled wings doesn't seem likely. bullets might also produce force (i can't remember), so there may be hope. BDA adds considerable force to explosions, sending parts flying, and colliding. so, even without any explicit cooperation between these mods, i bet they'll be pretty darn cool together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.