Random mod parts don't load

I have been trying to figure out what is causing this issue for days. Sometimes, when I load my career save, I get a bunch of craft loading errors saying that various mod parts are missing. I can go into sandbox and sure enough they're gone. The thing is, it doesn't do it every time, so I can't figure out what to do to even start troubleshooting this. I thought it was running out of memory at first, but really haven't had any failure to load problems or crashes. Every now and then it will crash after a few hours of playing but memory usage usually stays around 1.6 to 2 Gb, which should be well under the limit. The thing is, it's parts that I have on ships already that there was no problem with the last time I opened KSP, hence the craft loading errors on opening a savegame. This is driving me absolutely insane because it doesn't do it reliably and I have no idea where to even start troubleshooting.

I have tried, without success:

- Deleting and reinstalling whichever mod it decides not to load parts from. This worked once, but only made different parts not show up in the future.

- Verifying steam cache: This did nothing despite replacing one file.

- Deleting and reinstalling all of my mods: Didn't seem to do any good.

-forcing openGL: was doing this before, no change. Tried forcing DX11, it loaded faster but the exact same parts were missing.

I'm running 1.0.5 build 1028

It most frequently happens with Universal Storage cores, some DERP parts from USI Survival pack, and one of the SXT tanks. But it's happened with other parts as well, seemingly without any rhyme or reason.

Modlist:

Spoiler

Community tech tree

Cryoengines

Dmagic Orbital Science

Distant object enhancement

Environmental Visual enhacement with Better Atmospheres

KAS

KIS

Kerbal joint reinforcement

mechjeb

hotrockets

Near Future construction, electrical, propulsion, solar, spacecraft

Outer planets mod plus kopernicus, and opmclouds

Planetshine

RSS (plugin only)

RLA Stockalike

SCANsat

ShipManifest

Station Science

Surface Lights

SXT

Texturereplacer (better atmospheres)

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Universal Storage

Modulemanager 2.6.13

Edited by oniontrain

2 suggestions

1. make sure all mods are up to date <you probably already did this, but, never hurts to suggest it anyway :) >

2. something may be borked in the game install, so you may want to delete the game and start with a fresh install <save your persistent save elsewhere ofc> and install the mods 1 at a time until something breaks.

all i really got in terms of suggestions. good luck, hope these help<ed>

Yup, I'm getting this often as well...

I suspect some odd rogue MM patch somewhere botching things during load, but I have, so far, unable to identify it...

I've attempted to reinstall the whole thing from scratch.. fresh KSP, fresh mods (making sure every one of them were up to date), but it doesn't matter, every now and then I get the same issue...

Another issue I am having is that, sometimes during load, the load process will stop and get stuck on a random modpart that, previously, was working without a hitch..

Whenever this second issue happens, any changes in the GameData folder will "fix" the issue.. that includes INSTALLING more mods...

While attempting to fix these issues (which may or may not be related to each other), I found something that's helping a lot:

Deleting the PartDatabase.cfg from the main KSP folder.

When one of the two issues appear to me, I delete that file and fire up the game again. KSP will then rebuild that file and load the game and any saves without issues.

4 hours ago, Thiagobs said:

While attempting to fix these issues (which may or may not be related to each other), I found something that's helping a lot:

Deleting the PartDatabase.cfg from the main KSP folder.

When one of the two issues appear to me, I delete that file and fire up the game again. KSP will then rebuild that file and load the game and any saves without issues.

Cool, it's not doing it now, but I'll try this next time and report back

4 hours ago, Randazzo said:

Do you by any chance have more than one ModuleManager.dll installed?

No, just one, 2.6.13.

All mods are currently up to date, and KSP is installed from a fresh install with mods put back one at a time. I do this every time the game updates, so that's what I started from.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this. It just did it again after several weeks of running normally. Deleting the partdatabase.cfg didn't change anything, but deleting modulemanager.ConfigCache seems to have worked. This may not actually be what got everything to load, will test further next time it happens.