[1.11.x???] STM's Final Frontier Expedition/Rank Ribbon Packs (updated 09/11/20 - one! (AH-AH-AH) New expedition)

SmarterThanMe

56 minutes ago, SmarterThanMe said:

@MisterFister I think that this might be related to my goof earlier when I included everything when I updated the zip file for one of my packs.

In which case, delete the whole STMRibbons folder and try again?

If I'm wrong than... Umm. Let me know and I'll think about it a little more.

Um.  Hmm.

Well, after posting my bug report, I know that I noticed that I was not filtering CKAN properly against my KSP version.  I noticed that before noticing that the specific mod I reported to you was also mismatched.

So, by scraping all of that out and starting over, I know that I've simply prevented this issue from cropping up again.  Sorry.

Second, however, is that I am of the impression that it's a filenaming error within a zipfile.  This was saying that a file downloaded and installed by one CKAN-mod was attempting to overwrite an identical filename provided by a second.  I can re-download the zipfiles through CKAN and manually inspect them to verify my speculation, if you think that'd help.

And to be clear, I'm reasonably convinced that manually deleting "whole" GameData subfolders isn't the best troubleshooting method for CKAN-managed mods, though if I'm misunderstanding either your suggestion here, or if as the mod developer asking me to intentionally do it anyway to report symptoms, then of course I can happily proceed.

Edited by MisterFister

Just a comment - I'm surprised that your enlisted ranks are based on the Army/Marines. Almost any SCI-FI series you read or see has a rank structure based on Naval traditions. In fact, you rank symbols are very close to USN rank symbology as well. Why, then, since that was quite obviously the inspiration, did you not use USN Enlisted rank names instead? I'm an E6 in the USN myself... maybe that's what it was so obvious to me... but really, I'm just curious.

For ready reference:

E1 - Seaman Recruit (normally has no bar, but can be represented by one)

E2 - Seaman Apprentice

E3 - Seaman (Three bars, but seems to have been skipped in your version)

E4 - Petty Officer 3rd

E5 - Petty Officer 2nd

E6 - Petty Officer 1st

E7 - Chief Petty Officer

E8 - Senior Chief Petty Officer (Single Star on the Rocker)

E9 - Master Chief Petty Officer (Two Stars centered above the rocker)

Edited by Shadriss
Rank structure inserted.

On 2/5/2016 at 7:02 AM, Shadriss said:

Just a comment - I'm surprised that your enlisted ranks are based on the Army/Marines. Almost any SCI-FI series you read or see has a rank structure based on Naval traditions. In fact, you rank symbols are very close to USN rank symbology as well. Why, then, since that was quite obviously the inspiration, did you not use USN Enlisted rank names instead? I'm an E6 in the USN myself... maybe that's what it was so obvious to me... but really, I'm just curious.

Actually, I based the ranks off of the Australian armed services ranks and insignia, with a couple of variations along the way as well (as great an artist as I am, *ahem*, can't do a crown or a fancy baton to save my life). Being that I'm Australian, and I consider the Australian (and Commonwealth) ranks to be more universal) this seemed to be the way to go. :)

You're right, however, that Sci-Fi tends to use naval ranks and insignia. However, IIRC, most astronauts and cosmonauts tended to come from the air forces. Hmmm...

I have been thinking of expanding the Enlisted ranks out to include all 3 branches. The list of ranks that I have is a bit shorter than your's (I have 8, you have 9)... What would you suggest from your list as the Naval equivalent to the ones I have (based, nominally, on RAN ranks and what you wrote)? Like below?

Recruit - Seaman Recruit

Private - Seaman

Lance Corporal - Able Seaman

Corporal - Leading Seaman

Sergeant - Petty Officer

Staff Sergeant - Chief Petty Officer

Master Sergeant  Senior Chief Petty Officer

Chief Master Sergeant - Master Chief Petty Officer

I'll have to think about the insignia also... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input!

43 minutes ago, SmarterThanMe said:

Recruit - Seaman Recruit

Private - Seaman

Lance Corporal - Able Seaman

Corporal - Leading Seaman

Sergeant - Petty Officer

Staff Sergeant - Chief Petty Officer

Master Sergeant  Senior Chief Petty Officer

Chief Master Sergeant - Master Chief Petty Officer

I'll have to think about the insignia also... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input!

Here to support. I recognize the RAN input - I serve alongside some Canadians at my current post. It's very hard to say which ranks align with which, but my rough understanding would be: Seaman Recruit, Seaman, Able Seaman, Leading Seaman, Master Seaman, PO2, PO1, Chief PO. LS is roughly the equivalent of a USN E5 (PO2). As I said, hard to say for certain.

I'm working on a pack based on your files to address my rank structures. I have the emblems for the USN Enlisted and the US Officer Ranks (which are universal across all our Armed Forces), and plan to do enlisted ranks for the other three branchs as well (already have these emblems made, just need to do the CFGs and the actual ribbons. Pending Neried's reply over in the main FF thread, that may be real quick, or a pain in the butt, since I definitely want to have the cloth look to the backgrounds with the ranks looking like attached devices, as they should be.

With all that in mind, there isn't any specific reason you'd need to change yours at all - we're just referencing different material, and choice is never a bad thing. I'm still not sure why we'd put a grunt (USMC or USArmy) in a cockpit, but I'll make those as well for those who wish... diversity.

28 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

With all that in mind, there isn't any specific reason you'd need to change yours at all

I'm actually just happy for the input!

I'm still not sure why we'd put a grunt (USMC or USArmy) in a cockpit, but I'll make those as well for those who wish... diversity.

Anne McClain and Andrew Morgan are Army, I think? Although, officers.

Edited by SmarterThanMe

10 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Honestly, this is fairly simple - I'm just glad I don't have to work out how to get the ribbons awarded automatically. Coding is generally far beyond my normal skillset.

I am still looking for someone to help me do that, actually... Otherwise, I'll have to try myself. Heh.

30 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Actually, is there a way to remove a ribbon once awarded? It's the only thing that's off about using these for rank.

There is a config option that allow you to revoke ribbons

Forgive the Hijack, STM, but since you were interested, here's what I came up with:

The blue background is the USAF, green is USArmy, Tan is USMC, dark blue is USN, and the grey is Officers. Fortunately, the rank symbols for the last are constant through all branches, although the USN does use different names. I'll get a full release thread up for it later on, but I'd like your opinion before I put polish on the CFG files. Thanks for the help you've given - it's really appreciated.

And they have been released. Thread is over here. Thanks for the assistance and inspiration, SMT. If I haven't said it enough yet, appreciate the assistance and willingness to share.

On a side note, if you are looking for help in making additional rank packs or what not, I do some graphic design work myself from time to time. More than willing to assist if you need it.

Also, you never sent that blank. :)

1 hour ago, Shadriss said:

On a side note, if you are looking for help in making additional rank packs or what not, I do some graphic design work myself from time to time. More than willing to assist if you need it.

Clearly. :) I'm still umm-ing and ahh-ing about separating mine out for 3 branches, and how I'll achieve that, but yeah. I'll definitely keep you in mind for this stuff.

1 hour ago, Shadriss said:

Also, you never sent that blank. :)

Ah, yeah. Sorry about that. Heh. Turns out you didn't need it though. :)

Would still like it - I was forced to use pre-existing assets, which meant I was limited on colors and bar placements. I get the blank, and the only limit is how big a ribbon rack the Base Exchange sells.

2 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Would still like it - I was forced to use pre-existing assets, which meant I was limited on colors and bar placements. I get the blank, and the only limit is how big a ribbon rack the Base Exchange sells.

Oh, sure. I've just sent you a PM on another issue. If you reply to it, I'll get to it tonight when I get home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.