It's been 6 months since I asked about the stutter

On 7.3.2017 at 8:30 AM, sal_vager said:

Yes, it's old, Microsoft have actually bought Xamarin and have released Mono under the MIT license, so Unity are free to upgrade to the latest version and I hear this is happening.

So there is still hope in this? I have not benn playing since 0.23 that much really anymore. And it is becuse of this. I have over 400 hrs on record with this amazing game, but the micro freezes deter me from playing the game at all :(

Is there any time line on this appening by any chance?

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, kokospl said:

So it's 2019. Has this been fixed?

Necroing two year old thread, because starting a new one, to ask about the exact same thing. would be stupid.

it's almost as if this thread is stuttering.

As far as game stuttering, if I don't pay attention I don't notice it. If I do, I notice it's there but it doesn't bother me. It's worse with more mods.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

if I don't pay attention I don't notice it. If I do, I notice it's there but it doesn't bother me.

I'm sure it's nice for you that you don't notice it. I do.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

It's worse with more mods.

It's worse with more garbage-generating code running, mod or otherwise.
Stock 1.6 is actually worse wrt GC stutter than or 1.3.1 or 1.5.1, probably due to the new features.
Features which don't appear to be optimised for this at all... I'm looking at you stage DV gauges.

Stock KSP is right on the knife edge for causing intrusive GC pauses as shipped.
For a game advertised as being "mod friendly" this sure doesn't leave much room for mods before the pauses become properly obnoxious.

Edited by steve_v

Stock KSP without all of the dV code is pretty clean as far as garbage generation goes. I think Squad cleaned up most of the recurring (generated every, or almost every, frame) sources of garbage allocation when 1.2 came out.

But the stock dV is... not good at all. In a bad case it could, by itself, be generating more than 10X what KSP was generating each second without it. Both the dV calculations and all of the UI related to the dV values generate a lot of needless garbage. You can improve the situation a little by not opening the little dV info panels next to each stage icon. You could also try disabling the stock dV all together. Or just replace all of that garbage with Basic DeltaV.

Mods range from very good regarding garbage allocation to absolutely terrible. With a few good mods you could be generating just a few 100kB of garbage per second, or less, but with bad mods, you could be looking at 10s of MB per second, which will trigger GC pauses every few seconds.

3 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Mods range from very good regarding garbage allocation to absolutely terrible. With a few good mods you could be generating just a few 100kB of garbage per second, or less, but with bad mods, you could be looking at 10s of MB per second, which will trigger GC pauses every few seconds.

If notified of a specific mod with a memory issue, I'll work on fixing my code.  I'd also be willing to look at other mods if requested.  Sometimes an outside pair of eyes can be useful

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.