Heinkel 219 Uhu, stock

Azimech

8 hours ago, 073198681 said:

Ah. Hmm. Almost forgot. I see there is a lid to the engine. Let me check, then you're good.

Here ya go: http://kerbalx.com/Azimech/Ural-4320---movie-version

And the normal version: http://kerbalx.com/Azimech/Ural-4320

Also happening, a quick & dirty experiment with camo decals. If a mod doesn't exist yet, I might create one for it.

TrFEeRv.png

• 1 year later...

Updated to version 2.0!

Changelog version 2.0:

• Replaced the static propellers with spinning ones. They don’t deliver thrust. I didn’t want elevons because they’d distort the dimensions of the plane. With gratitude to KerbalX user quitessa for his most excellent RCS ball bearing, the best non-wheeled bearing in existence!

• Replaced the 4 Juno engines with 4 Wheesley’s. Now the top speed is very close to the original (616 km/h).

• Made the airframe stiffer.

• Gave the exhaust stacks a nice smoke effect. Tuning these took a lot of time. I hope you like the result. Best result: 10 - 15% thrust for some nice intermittent smoke somewhat resembling a real engine.

• Changed wheel grip values, changed the authority of the control surfaces.

Instructions for flight:

• Engine start:
  1. Trim with ALT+Q all the way. No SAS!

2. Set throttle to 10 - 15%.

3. Start the left engine, action group 1.

4. Start the right engine, action group 2.

5. Set trim to neutral, ALT-x!

6. Enable main engines, action group 3.

7. Take off.

Regular flight:

• To prevent warping of the propeller above 80m/s, you can do the following:
  1. Switch focus to the left engine, press 6 and then activate SAS. This will slow down the propeller just enough.

2. Repeat for the right engine but press 7.

Landing:

• To prevent the propellers from stopping when going slower than 80m/s, do the following (assuming you used the instructions for regular flight).
  1. Change focus to the left engine, press 6 to disable the extra reaction wheel, then switch off SAS.

2. Repeat for the right engine, press 7.

Extra info:

• Toggle flaps with action group 4. You probably won’t need them.

• Engine cowlings can be toggled with action groups 9 & 10.

Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.3.0.

Well, now that I'm done hyperventilating from excitement, how do you think those RCS-on-RCS bearings compare to more traditional RCS-thermometer bearings in terms of withstanding high RPM and stability under warp / when loading the plane after detaching the prop assembly from the plane? Those bearings looks really elegant and clean, but due to RCS ports having relatively small hitboxes I'm kinda worried about their durability, especially if they were to be used with some heavier propellers.

21 minutes ago, EvenFlow said:

Well, now that I'm done hyperventilating from excitement, how do you think those RCS-on-RCS bearings compare to more traditional RCS-thermometer bearings in terms of withstanding high RPM and stability under warp / when loading the plane after detaching the prop assembly from the plane? Those bearings looks really elegant and clean, but due to RCS ports having relatively small hitboxes I'm kinda worried about their durability, especially if they were to be used with some heavier propellers.

Apparently the RCS balls have a sphere collider instead of a box collider. They seem a lot smoother. Stability under warp? I've never seen any stock bearing being stable under warp. Loading ... haven't tried yet. I get good results with wheeled bearings though, as long as the shaft isn't rotating when saving.
Right now I'm developing it for use with my Apache helicopter. It should work but I've found some weird bug in KSP I need to solve first: the turbine wheel and rotor blades explode, the log says they hit the baseplate, which is ludicrous.

5 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Apparently the RCS balls have a sphere collider instead of a box collider. They seem a lot smoother. Stability under warp? I've never seen any stock bearing being stable under warp. Loading ... haven't tried yet. I get good results with wheeled bearings though, as long as the shaft isn't rotating when saving.
Right now I'm developing it for use with my Apache helicopter. It should work but I've found some weird bug in KSP I need to solve first: the turbine wheel and rotor blades explode, the log says they hit the baseplate, which is ludicrous.

About the unplanned explosions, I don't know whether that is the issue, but ever since 1.2.2 I've been getting some odd behavior with clipped parts which did not happen before. I've also been doing some limited research on using generously clipped SAS rotors for creating high-performance compact helicopter rotors, and I've encountered similar behavior with the assembly suddenly becoming unstable and falling apart, just as if the parts suddenly decided they refused being clipped in any way shape or form. In my case, autostrutting the assembly to the grandparent part and strutting the blades to the shaft helped alot, although I haven't mounted the rotor on anything practical yet so it's hard to say how effective this fix will be. KSP definitely seems to apply stricter clipping rules now though, at least from my experience.

@Azimech that bug with the rotor-turbine assembly colliding with the baseplate on your Apache sounds very similar to a bug I experienced when building my E-24 helicopter. I had the same thing happen except my "baseplate" was one of the I-beams that made up the spine of the helicopter.

The only way I found to fix it was to completely rip out the spine (in your case the baseplate) and rebuild the helicopter around a new one. I think it might be the result of the part getting bugged in the craft file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.