Forum and website downtime Wednesday January 13th, 2016

KasperVld

Hi everyone!

Our webhost will be performing maintenance on their entire network which means that the KSP website, forum, wiki, bugtracker and other web-based services will be down for a short amount of time on Wednesday. This is not related to a forum update, which is also scheduled to take place somewhere in the coming two weeks which will cause another small amount of downtime for the forums but will not affect other services.

The maintenance is scheduled to take place in the following timeslot:

PST: 22:00-03:00 (starting Tuesday night!)
EST: 1:00-7:00
UTC: 6:00-11:00
CET: 7:00-12:00
ACST: 15:30-20:30

If you're looking for a place to discuss KSP at that time I feel comfortable pointing you to our IRC chat, the KSP Subreddit or our social media pages :)

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Will we have an 'unlike' button after the forum update (mainly to use on forum posts about forum downtimes...)? :D

I hope not. Unlike buttons turn communities into toxic cesspits and stifle discussion in favor of circlejerking. It's a large part of why Reddit is so infamous about having a hivemind.

Edited by Kenobi McCormick

It was not a serious request, and not making an argument for it, but uhm... having a Like but not a Don't Like seems like only allowing for half the opinions to be voiced, and a sure-fire way of deluding ourselves that at worst we can be mediocre, and on average, everything we post can only be liked.

If I had a choice, I prefer to hear the critics. It tells me what I may be able to improve. The likes I don't have much use for: all the voices in my head already think I'm awesome.

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

It was not a serious request, and not making an argument for it, but uhm... having a Like but not a Don't Like seems like only allowing for half the opinions to be voiced, and a sure-fire way of deluding ourselves that at worst we can be mediocre, and on average, everything we post can only be liked.

If I had a choice, I prefer to hear the critics. It tells me what I may be able to improve. The likes I don't have much use for: all the voices in my head already think I'm awesome.

The problem is that there has never been a forum or other social media site using a downvote system that hasn't been missused/abused in some way.

I see why downvotes would be nice, but at the same time I see it being misused, and turning the forums into a not quite as friendly place. We would see new players posting questions or looking for help, and even in this community people would downvote it because "this guy is stupid it's so simple." Or a forum vigilante (there seems to be a few running around here) would down vote posts in the wrong forum, or for whatever reason or rule they think has been broken, even if what was posted was brilliant but got there due to a misinterpretation of sub forums, or they are overly interpreting a rule. Been there, done that, got the mouse pad. 

If you want criticism you will get it, but not by an anonymous dislike. This helps in numerous ways such as allowing me to understand why you dislike something rather than just that you dislike it. And if you can't voice your disapproval in a post, then it's either because you don't care enough to make the statement, or can't be anonymous and probably shouldn't say what you are thinking in the first place. So I see why squad is reluctant to add it, and I support them in this. 

Keep kalm, 

Space on. 

Edited by DrMarlboro

10 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Will we have an 'unlike' button after the forum update (mainly to use on forum posts about forum downtimes...)? :D

There is an unlike button, you just have to like a post first :P

Starts at 4pm here... Oh well

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

HYPED FOR 1.1!

11 hours ago, DrMarlboro said:

The problem is that there has never been a forum or other social media site using a downvote system that hasn't been missused/abused in some way.

It works (kinda) on StackOverflow. But there a dislike costs you reputation. Every dislike costs the person being disliked 2 reputation points AND costs the person pressing the dislike button some points as well (I think 1, but might be 2).
So if you use it a lot your own reputation goes down the drain faster than that of the people you bombard with dislikes.

Also, a dislike will cost the victim less rep than a like would give him on a 5-1 ratio. So for every like you'd need to get someone 5 dislikes to get his rep down.

And it's still used to artificially lower peoples' reputation by making multiple accounts which you then have each account upvote all the others just so they get enough rep to get into voting wars with people who's opinions you don't like (rather than the actual merits of their posts, which is what it's intended for).

Are all these times in 24-hour?
I ask because I'm EST, and if it is, 1:00-7:00 am doesn't bother me a bit. 
I'm usually just crawling out of bed at 7:00, and that's only because I have 4 cats that refuse to let me sleep late... lol....

10 hours ago, jwenting said:

It works (kinda) on StackOverflow. But there a dislike costs you reputation. Every dislike costs the person being disliked 2 reputation points AND costs the person pressing the dislike button some points as well (I think 1, but might be 2).
So if you use it a lot your own reputation goes down the drain faster than that of the people you bombard with dislikes.

Also, a dislike will cost the victim less rep than a like would give him on a 5-1 ratio. So for every like you'd need to get someone 5 dislikes to get his rep down.

And it's still used to artificially lower peoples' reputation by making multiple accounts which you then have each account upvote all the others just so they get enough rep to get into voting wars with people who's opinions you don't like (rather than the actual merits of their posts, which is what it's intended for).

This doesn't even sound like it kinda works. it sounds like it could have, but as always people have found a work around. The simplest solution is always the best, and that solution is to just not have a dislike button.

11 minutes ago, DrMarlboro said:

This doesn't even sound like it kinda works. it sounds like it could have, but as always people have found a work around. The simplest solution is always the best, and that solution is to just not have a dislike button.

The voting system in StackOverflow (and all the rest of the StackExchange family) is complex and nothing short of awesome.  It is perhaps one of the best examples of a self moderating online community.  

Votes carry much more meaning than just meer rep; as you gain points you gain responsibility in the community and eventually gradually gain moderator powers bit by bit (and then there are periodical elections to select the high level moderators). But to start with you can't even vote up, you have to gain 15 rep first and you can only do that by making posts to start with and if you post rubbish it won't get voted up.  You'd need 15 fake accounts to bring 1 account up to be able to massage other accounts, and you need to get it up to 125 points before being able to vote down.  The amount of work required to attack another user with a downvote storm is probably too much effort for most.

4 hours ago, DrMarlboro said:

it works there, but it's a completely different community made up of mostly IT professionals. It's not 90% schoolkids with overblown senses of ego.

2 hours ago, jwenting said:

it works there, but it's a completely different community made up of mostly IT professionals. It's not 90% schoolkids with overblown senses of ego.

I have grown quite attached to my ego sir, and would advise you to refrain from insulting it! :D But anyway, i could see where in a community such as that the system in question could work, i just really don't think it could here. 

2 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Um, isn't the downtime supposed to have started by now?

The timeslots allotted for maintenance actions are frequently much longer than the actual time needed. This is to cover any need for troubleshooting, fixing and possibly rolling back the changes so in any case the users can come back to a working site at the given end time. Saves a lot of "they said they would be done by then and they were not" grief.

On 11/01/2016 at 10:33 PM, KasperVld said:

PST: 22:00-03:00 (starting Tuesday night!)
EST: 1:00-7:00
UTC: 6:00-11:00
CET: 7:00-12:00
ACST: 15:30-20:30

I realise this is over now (though I didn't actually notice it being down at any point) so it isn't going to make any difference but did anyone else notice that this downtime was an hour longer in EST than anywhere else...?

1 hour ago, Padishar said:

I realise this is over now (though I didn't actually notice it being down at any point) so it isn't going to make any difference but did anyone else notice that this downtime was an hour longer in EST than anywhere else...?

I assume that's a typo :)