What Is the Greatest moment you have ever had?

Dr.K Kerbal

Best was undoubtably the first Mun-landing back in the day, only by trial and error.

But taking an overbuilt lander with 3.6k dV to orbit with the n-th iteration of a low-tech SSTO is a close second.

Edited by Evanitis

The moment my first functional assymetric-thrust space shuttle style vehicle with a practical payload made orbit. Shortly before that, a few knowledgeable types had opined that a shuttle-style launcher may eventually be possible to build in KSP, but would be too difficult to balance to ever be practical. Ha!Qq9wB5O.png

Mine was when I sent my Space Shuttle to my fuel station for a crew exchange.  The fuel station was a main fuselage of the crew cabin and fuel tanks, and then on the side were two fuel tanks with large docking ports for sending fuel pods up to the station to dock and refuel the station.  On the other two sides were girders with medium and small docking ports.  My plan was for the medium docking port on the dorsal section of the shuttle to dock with the medium docking port on the end of the girder.  There were, as I remembered, two small docking ports on each side of the girder.  Well turns out I was wrong.  It was two medium ports on the sides of the girder and one small one on the end.  So that left me with the large docking port in the bay of the shuttle.  My plan was to dock to the fuel "nacelles" on the side of the station, with the cargo bay hugging the sides around it.  It was a perfect fit with the shuttle bay, all until I realized...  The top of the crew cabin was up higher than the docking port in the cargo bay.  So the cabin hit the station before the docking port was aligned, and I was all sad that my genius Apollo 13 -esque solution ended in failure.. and I just EVA'ed the crew over instead.  Makes sense, you shouldn't be able to transfer crew through a fuel tank, but I still wanted my idea to work.  

It was pretty anticlimactic...

My proudest moment would have to be my Manned Duna mission that got Wehrcas Kerman to the surface of Duna and back to Kerbin safely.

DzwveJs.pngAnd also my Tylo probe comes in at a close second.

RjNoA6q.pngThe reason why the Tylo probe was so big to me is because Tylo was the only body i have not landed a probe on in my 6 months experience in the game. Now all i need to do is send Kerbals to and from every body. Mun,Minmas,Duna,Ike, and Gilly are already done.(I landed a kerbal on Dres but unfortunately his life was cut short due to a 5km/s aerobrake coming home :(

Colonizing Laythe with a surface outpost, a dockable rover, an orbital habitat and fuel depot, and a spaceplane that could go back and forth between them. All stock; all honestly launched. (Not that the spaceplane would work at all with modern aerodynamics--but it worked very well back in the day.)

BRO_base.png

BRO_rover.png

Elcano challenge first attempt with 4408.. She'd unexpectedly blown a generator set 1 of 2..

Reduced to half power thus less torque and speed.. 115km from home.. No give up nor surrender for this girl..

The powercar at the rear of the train designed to keep the lights lit when the loco was shutdown.. Powered by a lesser detriot bus engine was brought inline with the locos genset on the same throttle.. Not exactly 100% power.. But it helped

For more than 50km she powered on..not as a locomotive and train of tankers but as a single unit train whos operation depended on the whole train for survival

She defied the odds until D4001 finished her mainline trials and met up some time later...eventually help bank 4408 up a very steep grade and descend in full dynamic brake with nothing lost..

https://youtu.be/3SyA9LEizPw?t=160

One of my proudest moments

Sadly the two locomotives were lost in a system format not long after

Edited by Overland

My first Jool probe back in 0.23

I wasn't even planning to do it.  I asked a friend who was visiting and spending the night over to pick me a target.  He thought he was smart and said Jupiter.
( Obviously this was Jool ), so I whipped some kind of transfer stage in about 20min, and build an Ion probe on top and launch the whole thing with a gazillion boosters.
To note that at the time I had never went anywhere beside Mün and Minmus, but still had a lot of "Engineering time" in the VAB...

Well, I made it with D-V to spare, so I circularized on the same plane, between Laythe and Vall, and renamed my probe the 'Jool Fairy'
I only have 2 pictures that survived to this day...  This one is the transfer stage just after (before?) aerobreaking at Jool :

vXxY1w7.png

The Next one is a somewhat limited view of the 'Jool Fairy' with panels extended :

PKooo8F.png

I'd say my first Mun landing but I had done a ton of missions that "didn't exactly go as planned" to the Mun before that, so Mun missions had become routine enough for me, even although they had all been unsuccesful, for the first Mun landing to be that great, although I was still proud and happy when I did it,

My most triumphant moment was likely either when I succesfully flew a Spaceplane SSTO to orbit for the first time, or my first succesful docking, although a Kerbbed Duna mission (which I've been working on) will likely blow those two out of the water.

Edited by DolphinDude3

I can argue with myself on that. It's either the first time i docked, the moment the two ships interlocked and.. well, docked, or the moment I was able to be captured by Duna's orbit.. the first time I had ever successfully gone interplanetary. Ahhh..

I think that I got best feelings from my first manned Duna mission. Version was pure stock 18.something. I had to learn to do in practice many things, making and launching of large rockets, rendezvous, docking of wobbly and massive ships, landing on larger planet, using approximate Hohmann orbits. I had 2 launches, docking on Kerbin's orbit. I had separate lander and I visited on Duna and on Ike. Everything went near perfectly. My ships had enough margins but was not too overengineered. It took couple of days to, calculate, plan, make, test and execute everything.

I have visited on every body after that but have not got same feeling of success. My first Mun trip with overengineered craft was too easy to give such feelings. Maybe first Eve manned mission was near. It took even more time but most of it was relatively straightforward testing of crafts.

First instruments only, IVA docking using only RasterPropMonitor, and with the game's UI disabled.  The launch and rendezevous was done as per normal, but the final approach alignment, and docking done entirely from inside the lander-can.  Above anything else I've done in KSP, including my first orbit and landing, that was probably the most tense, and rewarding moment I've had in the game.

Wemb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.