Devnote Tuesday: Where did we leave the bugspray?

SQUAD

14 hours ago, John FX said:

I like the idea of achievements if they can be done like final frontier where each kerbal has a personal set of firsts and there are also global ones.  Then you can see where each kerbal has been as well as where your program has reached.

^^ this. I also support a "logbook" idea, similar to the plaques, where you can type in some notes about a mission, and save them into your archives. I would save where and when you  made the note. That way you can relive and remember iconic missions in your career. :) 

14 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@kemde to reinforce one more time, the indicator is only in those tutorials. It's there because we have great pilots who fly the ascent with the craft to record the pitch at a given speed, and the altitude at a given speed, and then I can construct the indicator pitch curves from that. It is not a "give it a vessel, hit a button, go to orbit" autopilot, it's a "follow me" tutorial helper.

Would it be possible to open this type of indicator to Modders? I get the sense that it could be incredibly useful for certain applications.

14 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@kemde to reinforce one more time, the indicator is only in those tutorials. It's there because we have great pilots who fly the ascent with the craft to record the pitch at a given speed, and the altitude at a given speed, and then I can construct the indicator pitch curves from that. It is not a "give it a vessel, hit a button, go to orbit" autopilot, it's a "follow me" tutorial helper.

Whoops, misread. Hmm. Now I have to think of something to say.. Umm.. Oh yes, you should indicate to the player that your ascent is dependent on TWR at any given height more than anything else. The rocket stability is second most.

Edited by Majorjim

3 hours ago, Padishar said:

You could just have Werner (or whoever) read it to the user.  Slight break of immersion for a Kerbal to be speaking English (or any other human language it gets translated to) but this is a rather special case...

Or maybe - I dont know, crazy thought - parents or older siblings might ... you know ...

17 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Would it be possible to open this type of indicator to Modders? I get the sense that it could be incredibly useful for certain applications.

Hope i got that right: the indicator is for the tutorial vessel flying to tutorial orbit and was constructed just for the tutorial from the experience of players, not from calculation. There is probably no such API ...

24 minutes ago, kemde said:

Hope i got that right: the indicator is for the tutorial vessel flying to tutorial orbit and was constructed just for the tutorial from the experience of players, not from calculation. There is probably no such API ...

Okay, but they still have code that draws the marker, and gets its data from somewhere else.

If one could re-plug the data source, the drawing code could be useful. Or not. I don't know things. It was just an idea.

I'm pretty sure somebody could pull the code that MechJeb uses for ascent guidance and turn it into a standalone mod that only enables the "show navball ascent guidance" option. It would be identical to the tutorial but it would adapt to your vessel to an extent.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining
Makes more sense now

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

Okay, but they still have code that draws the marker, and gets its data from somewhere else.

If one could re-plug the data source, the drawing code could be useful. Or not. I don't know things. It was just an idea.

As NathanKell explained in the 4th post of the thread that code comes from a mod. So yeah, modder can use it since they made it...

12 minutes ago, MrFancyPL said:

I got 2 questions

1. What is +/- realase date of 1.1 ? It will be next week, nest month or next year :D 

2. Will be in 1.1 version support for multi-core processing ?

1. "Thou shalt not ask release dates"

I'm pretty sure this is because they could predict a release date, cause hype, and then find a game-breaking bug that needs a week to fix. I think the KSP community is mature enough to accept any unforeseen delays, better safe than sorry though.

2. Yes, sort of. You'd have to ask a real computer nerd for a full answer because I've heard it's not that simple.

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

As NathanKell explained in the 4th post of the thread that code comes from a mod. So yeah, modder can use it since they made it...

It's actually a bit easier, since I put the elevation/azimuth->vector code right into DirectionTarget, so now you can just call Update with a pitch and heading (and degrees = true or false).

18 hours ago, sibrit said:

Would it just be an indicator on the NavBall (that either SAS can follow or you can manually adjust the trajectory of the rocket?), or are you intending to have some sort of "fly through the rings" type thing, which now that I mention it would probably be a bit crazy given the multitude of viewing options... Would it be based on the 3/4 throttle setting that is default for a launch? Does it take into account cutting back on the throttle to avoid terminal velocity shock? Is the throttle even part of the "follow me"?

OK. I really want to see how it would work now, because I've never considered putting a craft into LKO as simple as keeping it pointed in the right direction...

Yes, it's just an indicator. No, it is based on full throttle throughout the launch. If you have to throttle back you brought too much engine.And if you have problems with terminal velocity...well, first check you're actually exceeding it (spoiler: you probably aren't, aero FX doesn't mean that at all), and if you are...you really brought too much engine.

3 minutes ago, Padishar said:

You could just have Werner (or whoever) read it to the user.  Slight break of immersion for a Kerbal to be speaking English (or any other human language it gets translated to) but this is a rather special case...

Thats another angle as well yeah. Different people learn in different ways, reading, listening, watching, doing, interpretive dance... alright maybe not so much the last one so the current Tute system doesnt suit everyone

On 1/13/2016 at 6:11 AM, sarbian said:

I totaly see the "8GB crash" beeing the new "32bit memory crash".

"But I only added 60 part pack mods !?"

I don't think that will happen... The difference between 32 bit and 64 bit is not a doubling, as implied if a 64-bit game could only handle 8G of RAM, but rather a squaring:

So instead of 4 Gigabytes, a 64-bit machine or program should handle up to 16 Exabytes.  Obviously, we'll run out of money before we'll run out of memory... :)

Danny

43 minutes ago, CrashTestDanny said:

I don't think that will happen... The difference between 32 bit and 64 bit is not a doubling, as implied if a 64-bit game could only handle 8G of RAM, but rather a squaring:

So instead of 4 Gigabytes, a 64-bit machine or program should handle up to 16 Exabytes.  Obviously, we'll run out of money before we'll run out of memory... :)

To add to this, even if you don't have enough memory for all your mods (i.e. you would be over 8GB), you still won't get out of memory errors, it will just start paging less-used stuff out to disk. So there'll be a performance hit but no crash.

The 32-bit limit isn't about RAM, it's about address space. Modern operating systems are well equipped to deal with applications using more memory than there is physical RAM available, but they can't change the amount of address space available to an application (that's determined by the bitness of the app).

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

...it is based on full throttle throughout the launch. If you have to throttle back you brought too much engine.And if you have problems with terminal velocity...well, first check you're actually exceeding it (spoiler: you probably aren't, aero FX doesn't mean that at all), and if you are...you really brought too much engine.

I hope the tutorial also tells the user to throttle up. Before every single launch. Forever. Because the game won't do it automatically even though it's the obviously optimal thing in almost every situation.

(unless you edit a config file. Which the tutorial could also mention)

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

-snip- If you have to throttle back you brought too much engine.And if you have problems with terminal velocity...-snip-...you really brought too much engine.

Too. Much. Engine?

Guards! Seize him!! 

Edited by Tourist

8 hours ago, NathanKell said:

It's actually a bit easier, since I put the elevation/azimuth->vector code right into DirectionTarget, so now you can just call Update with a pitch and heading (and degrees = true or false).

Yes, it's just an indicator. No, it is based on full throttle throughout the launch. If you have to throttle back you brought too much engine.And if you have problems with terminal velocity...well, first check you're actually exceeding it (spoiler: you probably aren't, aero FX doesn't mean that at all), and if you are...you really brought too much engine.

Oh dear, how i practiced gravity turns. All in vain ? Just fire red hot glowing through the air .... :-)

I'm not a chaser of steam like achievements but I've no problem at all with them being added to the game.

In game achievements would be awesome!  I would prefer them to be at the start a new game level, so families who play multiple KSP games on a single PC and install can have their own achievements.  Final frontier is a good example of what I would like.  We already have achievements in career mode in the form of auto contracts for getting into orbit, breaking speed records ect.  I'd love to see per kerbal achievements as well, so you could track where each kerbal has been and what they've done.

Perhaps add a 'world firsts' button to the Mission control building which would list all the world firsts you have achieved this game.

Clicking on a world first to get the ship name and crew-list would be a nice bonus.

Perhaps even a tab added to the top level(Available/active/archives), or added under archives(all.completed/failed/cancelled).

Something like:

On <date/time> the <vessel name(s)> crewed by <crew list> completed the first <achievement> at <body name>.

To celebrate this world first, your community gathered together to give you <rewards>

And if any kerbals died during the 30 seconds before/after the completion, add a line like: <names> will be remembered always 

Might even add in a line like 'we look forward to seeing you <next first on the list, completed or not>' so that we can always know at least one world first that we have not yet completed(by looking at that line on the last completed world first).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.