Image of KSP running on a PS4

Majorjim!

Just now, Dfthu said:

Hm....  interesting. Looks cool though.

What do you think the three boxes are on the right? The staging ui?

I am VERY curious to see what has been done in terms of part counts on the consoles. Do you think there will be part count limits set?

Just now, ShawnPhillips said:

The HUD elements are way too big for my liking, Though I am used to playing the PC version on a 4K display so my HUD elements are tiny by comparison.

They may be adjustable on console. They need to be bigger as standard as you sit further from a TV.

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I am VERY curious to see what has been done in terms of part counts on the consoles. Do you think there will be part count limits set?

I definitely expect part count issues to be alleviated, as for the UI it looks cool to me. I don't think we see the staging UI at all though as it looks to be focused on an EVA'd Kerbal, though maybe it's the Fund/Rep/Contracts bit?

14 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I didn't see that before. Why would they Change the staging ui and put it there? (assuming that is the staging ui)

EDIT Maybe its like the fuel and contract boxes but they just made it vertical.

Edited by Dfthu

Just now, Glaran K'erman said:

Sure, not much to add though, just firmly expect the fact that a console is made for this type of work and I trust optimizations will be made to take advantage of that.

I agree that 1.1 will definitely run better than the current version. It is obvious that PCs have an advantage here and will allow for higher part counts. I know that console CPUs (PS4) are running at 1.6GHZ per core. Now we know unit 5 has support for multi-core physics but Squad have not changed the games code to use this properly.. Squad themselves confirmed this.

Edited by Majorjim

59 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I agree that 1.1 will definitely run better than the current version. It is obvious that PCs have an advantage here and will allow for higher part counts. I know that console CPUs (PS4) are running at 1.6GHZ per core. Now we know unit 5 has support for multi-core physics but Squad have not changed the games code to use this properly.. Squad themselves confirmed this.

That's fine, but if people starting lagging on a console game there will be epic riots across the world :). They HAVE to address the problem in some way. If what you say means what I think it does then they will be forced to limit part count game-wide. 

Just now, Glaran K'erman said:

That's fine, but if people starting lagging on a console game there will be epic riots across the world :). They HAVE to address the problem in some way. If what you say means what I think it does then they will be forced to limit part count game-wide. 

Exactly this. There is no way around it.. You cannot have that kind of lag on a console. There MUST be part count limits. Just look at fallout 4 crafting limits. Limits imposed by console architecture. I know that it will not negatively affect the PC version I am just very concerned about the performance issues for consoles.

1 hour ago, Glaran K'erman said:

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Exactly this. There is no way around it.. You cannot have that kind of lag on a console. There MUST be part count limits. Just look at fallout 4 crafting limits. Limits imposed by console architecture. I know that it will not negatively affect the PC version I am just very concerned about the performance issues for consoles.

I too suspect there will be artificial part count limits. I mean, theoretically, if some sort artificial part count limit didn't exist someone could eventually cause lag on the console by building a massive ship, no matter what improvements had been made optimization wise, right?

Edited by Bandus

I'm curious how physicsless parts (there are still physicsless parts, right?) would be accounted for by a part count limiter. They wouldn't produce lag, but people might find it confusing that some parts add to their part count while others don't.

Edited by Vaporo

9 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

Personally, one of the biggest problems I see is the building aspect, proformance seems to be something to solve later; How do you make a rocket with a controller with any sort of accuracy?

I'd imagine the little touchpad (I think that's what it is, I don't follow console stuff too closely) on the front of the controller could be of some use, especially when it comes to precision.

4 hours ago, Majorjim said:

It's already been stated in 1.1 the Toolbar will go vertical (all versions).  He's on a Kerbal in the screenshot so there is no Staging UI there.

32 minutes ago, ShmikeTP said:

I'd imagine the little touchpad (I think that's what it is, I don't follow console stuff too closely) on the front of the controller could be of some use, especially when it comes to precision.

That is a speaker.  Only the Wii U has a touchpad as far as I know.

Edited by Alshain

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

It's already been stated in 1.1 the Toolbar will go vertical (all versions).  He's on a Kerbal in the screenshot so there is no Staging UI there.

That is a speaker.  Only the Wii U has a touchpad as far as I know.

Actually, I looked it up, it appears the PS4 controller does have a touchpad.

"But when gamers start bringing home the PlayStation 4 on Nov. 15, the first thing they will notice about its DualShock 4 controller won’t be the new ridges on the analog stick tops. Or the deeper D-pad. Or even the trigger-shaped shoulder buttons. It will be the black slate sitting right in the middle where the word “Sony” used to be — the new touchpad."

2 minutes ago, ShmikeTP said:

Actually, I looked it up, it appears the PS4 controller does have a touchpad.

"But when gamers start bringing home the PlayStation 4 on Nov. 15, the first thing they will notice about its DualShock 4 controller won’t be the new ridges on the analog stick tops. Or the deeper D-pad. Or even the trigger-shaped shoulder buttons. It will be the black slate sitting right in the middle where the word “Sony” used to be — the new touchpad."

Hmm, interesting.  I wonder how many games actually make use of it, they sure haven't advertised it much (FYI, I don't own a PS4).

Edited by Alshain

51 minutes ago, Bandus said:

I too suspect there will be artificial part count limits. I mean, theoretically, if some sort artificial part count limit didn't exist someone could eventually cause lag on the console by building a massive ship, no matter what improvements had been made optimization wise, right?

Yes just keep adding parts till the game crashes.

45 minutes ago, Vaporo said:

I'm curious how physicsless parts (there are still physicsless parts, right?) would be accounted for by a part count limiter. They wouldn't produce lag, but people might find it confusing that some parts add to their part count while others don't.

Not any more. No parts is physic/massless.

I would bet on a part limit between 250-500 depending on the Unity 5 gains they are seeing.

The wii-u version will be limited the most, to keep a 30FPS result across all consoles.

20 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Not any more. No parts is physic/massless.

I would bet on a part limit between 250-500 depending on the Unity 5 gains they are seeing.

The wii-u version will be limited the most, to keep a 30FPS result across all consoles.

Depends on how you look at it.  Their properties are applied to the parent so they do not receive an independent calculation.

I don't think limitations are going to be as big of an issue as you guys are talking about.  Remember, your perspective is from that of Unity 4.  Unity 5 has multi-core support, so we don't even no how much part counts will affect us on the PC, let alone consoles.  One other thing to note is the Wii U CPU is not as far behind as people make it out to be.  Yes it is weaker than the competitors, no denying that, but it's still plenty capable and we don't know that KSP on Unity 5 will actually tax the extent of the XBox One or PS4.

Just now, Alshain said:

Depends on how you look at it.  Their properties are applied to the parent so they do not receive an independent calculation.

I don't think limitations are going to be as big of an issue as you guys are talking about.  Remember, your perspective is from that of Unity 4.  Unity 5 has multi-core support, so we don't even no how much part counts will affect us on the PC, let alone consoles.  One other thing to note is the Wii U CPU is not as far behind as people make it out to be.  Yes it is weaker than the competitors, no denying that, but it's still plenty capable and we don't know that KSP on Unity 5 will actually tax the extent of the XBox One or PS4.

Remember what I said above

On 01/13/2016 at 5:36 PM, Majorjim said:

Now we know unity 5 has support for multi-core physics but Squad have not changed the games code to use this properly.. Squad themselves confirmed this.

Squad have not changed the game code to take advantage of the unity 5 multi-core physics.. They confirmed this themselves.^ Squad are saying they have no idea how much of an improvement it will be. At present the fastest PC CPUs are struggling. the improvement will have to be Spectacular.  Personally I am worried by that Squad statement that they did not change the code to take advantage of unity 5 multi-core physics.. 

Edited by Majorjim

7 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Remember what I said above

Squad have not changed the game code to take advantage of the unity 5 multi-core physics.. They confirmed this themselves.^ Squad are saying they have no idea how much of an improvement it will be. At present the fastest PC CPUs are struggling. the improvement will have to be Spectacular.  Personally I am worried by that Squad statement that they did not change the code to take advantage of unity 5 multi-core physics.. 

Of course they didn't.  Physics code is handled by the Physics engine, not Squad.  If the 'fastest PC CPU's are struggling.' then 5 years ago when my CPU was made they must have decided to make CPU's slower from then on out... mine does just fine.

Also, if they are in QA, they know how much improvement there will be by now.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.