Returning from Minmus easier than returning from the Mun?

hunter558

Is it just me or is returning from a Minmus trip easier than returning from the Mun? For some reason i ive been able to land and return from Minmus without the slightest issue but Mun is seemingly much more challenging. Using the exact same rocket design i could return from Minmus with some fuel remaining even after landing on Kerbin again. However this rocket design cannot seem to get me to the Mun and back. I run out of fuel just after escaping the Mun\'s orbit and reaching Kerbin orbit again. I\'m sure i could manage with a specifically designed Mun rocket but its just odd to me. Want to know if anyone else has noticed this.

Agreed. You only need to go about 80-90 m/s faster t push your apoapsis out to Minmus\' distance from LKO than you do to push your apoapsis out to Munar distance. The Mun\'s higher gravity means that the slight saving in transfer delta-V is swallowed whole by the extra delta-V you need to pull off landings and returns.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.