Curse Client/Steam Workshop?

Are there any plans to get KSP supported by the Curse Client or (preferably) Steam Workshop? I've tried using community-developed mod managers, but they haven't worked out for me. Now the game goes Challenger whenever I try to launch it.

What I need is a simple mod manager. I'd like to be able to add, remove, enable, and disable mods on the fly, much like games using the Steam Workshop.

In the past the devs said they specifically didn't want to use Workshop because it fragments the community. In my opinion this is rather shortsighted and akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face. I hope they reconsider.

That being said, can anyone with the knowledge explain how difficult/easy it is to integrate Workshop support into the base game?

10 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

In the past the devs said they specifically didn't want to use Workshop because it fragments the community. In my opinion this is rather shortsighted and akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face. I hope they reconsider.

That being said, can anyone with the knowledge explain how difficult/easy it is to integrate Workshop support into the base game?

Problem is, there are a lot of players who bought the game through KSP's website and not on Steam. Adopting the Workshop means that these players cannot access mods published there.

Once more and more new modders publish their mods exclusively on Steam Workshop, the community gets fragmented

6 minutes ago, Thiagobs said:

Problem is, there are a lot of players who bought the game through KSP's website and not on Steam. Adopting the Workshop means that these players cannot access mods published there.

Once more and more new modders publish their mods exclusively on Steam Workshop, the community gets fragmented

That's the modder's choice to make is it not?

1 hour ago, Thiagobs said:

Just because games use the Steam Workshop for modding doesn't mean mods can only be added via Workshop. In fact, many games that use Workshop can be modded with files downloaded from other websites. Two good examples are Garry's Mod and the Source Filmmaker. Both programs have a lively modding community that does not put their content on the Steam Workshop.

19 minutes ago, Arpoky said:

Just because games use the Steam Workshop for modding doesn't mean mods can only be added via Workshop. In fact, many games that use Workshop can be modded with files downloaded from other websites. Two good examples are Garry's Mod and the Source Filmmaker. Both programs have a lively modding community that does not put their content on the Steam Workshop.

Garry's Mod is a Steam exclusive, as is the Source Filmmaker. If you ain't got Steam, you're out of luck, regardless of where the mods are hosted.

Personally I like that you need to know what a zip file is and how to extract it to KSP/GameData. It's not exactly a hard step, but if you can't overcome that, then you're going to have real fun when you start randomly bunging mods together and KSP starts behaving like.. well.. a heavily modded KSP.

1 hour ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

It's probably not a matter of technical difficulty at all, but rather what steam permits Squad to do. and my guess (and it is only a guess) is that steam would then want mods to be exclusively released via workshop.

11 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

Personally I like that you need to know what a zip file is and how to extract it to KSP/GameData. It's not exactly a hard step, but if you can't overcome that, then you're going to have real fun when you start randomly bunging mods together and KSP starts behaving like.. well.. a heavily modded KSP

Exactly. It's so easy. Why muck about with anything else? IMHO, you need a certain basic computer skill, so when something screws up, you can troubleshoot.

12 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

Personally I like that you need to know what a zip file is and how to extract it to KSP/GameData. It's not exactly a hard step, but if you can't overcome that, then you're going to have real fun when you start randomly bunging mods together and KSP starts behaving like.. well.. a heavily modded KSP.

It's not about the trivial difficulty of unzipping files into the right location, but rather the extremely convenient and always-updated management the workshop interface provides

7 minutes ago, katateochi said:

It's probably not a matter of technical difficulty at all, but rather what steam permits Squad to do. and my guess (and it is only a guess) is that steam would then want mods to be exclusively released via workshop.

That can't be true, since there are many workshop mods also available through Nexus

On the topic of the Curse Client, a while back the Curse people were talking about the next version of their client, which would support KSP.  I haven't heard anything about that version of the Curse Client since then.

Most mods are already hosted in multiple locations.  Whether that be Curse, Github, Kerbal Stuff, or CKAN.  Saying that adding Steam Workshop would, somehow, fragment the community seems somewhat silly to me.  It's just one more way to supply players with your mod.

Edited by klgraham1013

I'm not in principle against Steam Workshop, but if that then means that the services it provides, either now or in the future, are not then going to be available to those not on steam then no definitely not.

Ultimately I think the best solution is a squad 'official' system that is available to all. The other unofficial systems could, I suppose, still be used by those who want to if that is practical.

Curse is, well, appropriately named. I hate it when mod is only available there, and wont touch their "client" with a long stick. Steam workshop is useless for people who bought game via other channels. KSP have great community and no for-profit entity can match that.

I'm going to add this to the Common Suggestions list, all future Steam workshop request posts can go in here :)

There's no plans for Steam workshop, mostly due to the fact that KSP isn't exclusive to Steam, but there's other reasons such as the potential for malicious plugins, as Steam workshop has no addon moderation, if there's a malicious mod on Steam workshop it can take far too long for Valve to respond to it.

• 1 month later...

[MOD - Merged new discussion with existing topic]

@Vegatoxi, see the following post as to why Steam Workshop support is highly unlikely:

On 14/01/2016 at 10:37 AM, sal_vager said:

I'm going to add this to the Common Suggestions list, all future Steam workshop request posts can go in here :)

There's no plans for Steam workshop, mostly due to the fact that KSP isn't exclusive to Steam, but there's other reasons such as the potential for malicious plugins, as Steam workshop has no addon moderation, if there's a malicious mod on Steam workshop it can take far too long for Valve to respond to it.

• 10 months later...

But not for even more others.

A very large portion of KSP players do not use Steam. (Personally I won't even touch Steam with a 10 foot pole.) Those people will not have access to those mods. Currently everybody has access to all mods. So ... NO!

Edited by Tex_NL