Arpoky

Curse Client/Steam Workshop?

56 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

But not for even more others.

A very large portion of KSP players do not use Steam. (Personally I won't even touch Steam with a 10 foot pole.) Those people will not have access to those mods. Currently everybody has access to all mods. So ... NO!

What's wrong with Steam? Also, I beg to differ on the "A very large portion of KSP players do not use Steam." part.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

What's wrong with Steam? Also, I beg to differ on the "A very large portion of KSP players do not use Steam." part.

I use steam for most of my other games, but not KSP. I got KSP long before it was on steam and because of running multiple installs, keeping past versions etc steam just isn't the tool for me and KSP.  The portion of players who don't use steam may not be the majority (I don't actually know the figures) but it's still plenty, enough that doing something to force a dependency on steam would cause an issue.

@Julian to make your modding life easier, have a look at CKAN. And for craft...cough...check the link in my sig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Julian. said:

This Uses The Steam Workshop. Reason? So I Can Get The Mods Easily. Same For A Lot Of Others.

Careful here... what might make things less work for you could result in a lot more work for others. Installing mods is fairly easy, laborious at best. Proposing something that likely will involve plenty of work from mod developers to save you some time and effort will not go over will with those mod developers.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, katateochi said:

I use steam for most of my other games, but not KSP. I got KSP long before it was on steam and because of running multiple installs, keeping past versions etc steam just isn't the tool for me and KSP.  The portion of players who don't use steam may not be the majority (I don't actually know the figures) but it's still plenty, enough that doing something to force a dependency on steam would cause an issue.

@Julian to make your modding life easier, have a look at CKAN. And for craft...cough...check the link in my sig.

I'm not saying that it is fair to give us workshop when store users will never have it. It should never happen. Also, CKAN is kinda Steam Workshop but everyone can have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steam. KSP. Mods. Choose two.

When KSP is upgraded, mod authors take a rather long time to update. Sometimes you need to jump through hoops to get an older mod working with KSP. Sometimes you'll lose your save.

And Steam upgrades KSP without looking at anything like that. It will break your save without blinking.

I'm using Steam as a downloader for KSP. Currently still playing 1.2.1 because some of my mods didn't update to 1.2.2 yet. I'd be starting a new career, with the old one broken had I allowed Steam to update my KSP without making a copy first.

So - no, thanks.

And yeppers, KerbalX is THE site for craft exchange.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sharpy said:

Steam. KSP. Mods. Choose two.

When KSP is upgraded, mod authors take a rather long time to update. Sometimes you need to jump through hoops to get an older mod working with KSP. Sometimes you'll lose your save.

And Steam upgrades KSP without looking at anything like that. It will break your save without blinking.

I'm using Steam as a downloader for KSP. Currently still playing 1.2.1 because some of my mods didn't update to 1.2.2 yet. I'd be starting a new career, with the old one broken had I allowed Steam to update my KSP without making a copy first.

So - no, thanks.

And yeppers, KerbalX is THE site for craft exchange.

You can turn off automatic downloads in Steam Settings :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Edited by regex
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, regex said:

.

Regex speechless!? This can't be good!

 

On topic- I use Steam for a lot of games, but I enjoy KSP from its store. I feel that by purchasing directly from Squad I supported them more, and I will stay that way. This also means that TAC-SD will not be on the Steam workshop.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

You can turn off automatic downloads in Steam Settings :)

This. Baffles me how so many people worry about updates on steam but don't use this feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dman979 said:

Regex speechless!? This can't be good!

Madposted about people madposting about Steam autoupdating instead of showing others how to copy this DRM-free game out of the Steam directory to prevent autoupdating a modded install before reading.

It's one of my few pet peeves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Its For Those That Use Steam. For Me I Cant Get The Mods Installed And Gotten To The Required Folder Because I Cant Find The Correct Folder Due To The Location. I Use Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Julian., your suggestion has been merged into the master thread for this oft-posted suggestion. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Julian. said:

But Its For Those That Use Steam. For Me I Cant Get The Mods Installed And Gotten To The Required Folder Because I Cant Find The Correct Folder Due To The Location. I Use Windows 10.

Welcome aboard, @Julian.! I should have put that in my first post here, sorry. :blush:

 

I'm sure that there's a tutorial here somewhere on how to do that. If you ask in the Gameplay Help subforum someone will know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Julian. said:

But Its For Those That Use Steam. For Me I Cant Get The Mods Installed And Gotten To The Required Folder Because I Cant Find The Correct Folder Due To The Location. I Use Windows 10.

@Julian. Right click on the KSP desktop icon, then click Open File Location. Or, since you're using Steam, right click on KSP in your library, click Properties, then go to the Local Files tab and click Browse Local Files.

You'll get something like this:

Phg5Rb3.png

Put the mods in the folder labeled "GameData," and they'll run when you next start up KSP.

I hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

You can turn off automatic downloads in Steam Settings :)

It'll still update automatically if you try running the game through Steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

It'll still update automatically if you try running the game through Steam.

You can always downgrade after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2016 at 5:31 PM, HoloYolo said:

 Also, CKAN is kinda Steam Workshop but everyone can have it.

 Console players too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, klesh said:

 Console players too?

Everyone on PC that is. Hopefully you'll get something like it, but it's a long shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think CKAN is a good way to stand up to date with your mods, you can add/auto update mods but you can't find all mods the I think the best are on...:wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2016 at 7:02 PM, Thiagobs said:

Once more and more new modders publish their mods exclusively on Steam Workshop, the community gets fragmented

 

 

Community gets fragmented?  2 of the 4 ways to play KSP don't even support mods at all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, klesh said:

Community gets fragmented?  2 of the 4 ways to play KSP don't even support mods at all! 

That's like saying there's a 50% chance of winning the lottery, because there's two options: you win, or you don't win.

If 50% of the players had no access to mods it would be different, but for now that argument has no value. And it's 2 out of 5, not 2 out of 4.

Edited by Kerbart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

That's like saying there's a 50% chance of winning the lottery, because there's two options: you win, or you don't win.

If 50% of the players had no access to mods it would be different, but for now that argument has no value. And it's 2 out of 5, not 2 out of 4.

 

 

 

No, its like saying "the community is already fragmented, so there is no point in debating the subtle nuances of PC mod acquisition, when not every can even access mods (yet).

 

1) Steam

2) KSP Store

3) PS4 Store

4) XBox store

 

Whats the 5th?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, klesh said:

No, its like saying "the community is already fragmented, so there is no point in debating the subtle nuances of PC mod acquisition, when not every can even access mods (yet).

1) Steam
2) KSP Store
3) PS4 Store
4) XBox store

Whats the 5th?

  1. PS4
  2. XBox
  3. Windows
  4. Mac
  5. Linux

Out of those 5 platforms, only 2 (and a very small percentage of the users) have no access to mods. I don't regard the retail channel "a way to play KSP". And if I were, the non-mod "ways to play" would be severely outnumbered:

  • PS4 Store
  • XBox Store
  • KSP Website
  • Steam
  • GOG
  • Humble Bundle
  • G2Play
  • Kinguin
  • Etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's long been known that consoles have never been mod-friendly, and buying any game on a console you are basically agreeing you don't care for modded experiences. Now, to be fair the last few generations of consoles, have permitted mouse/keyboard combinations, so ranting at the manufacturers of said consoles may eventually lead to them enabling PC style modding capability. However coming to the game creator's is not the way to get console mods possible, because it's the hardwired side that's stopping you. So the KSP's, Fallouts, Skyrims Mass Effects, and all the other super modded games of PC, have always been, and shall for the forseeable future remain "mod-less" on console.

 

So the only real discussion for modding, can only apply to the platforms where modding is possible, PC & mac. Linux is merely a PC that isn't operating off a Windows OS. So the mod fragmentation is being applied by whether you bought the game from KSP directly, Steam, or one of the licensed retailers such as GOG (or any of the similars). After accounting for where you bought the game, it's actually the mod developers, if they choose not to host to Steam then it doesn't matter how loudly you demand the ability to have Workshop because that mod would still require manual installation.

 

I'm not sure about whether Steam demands exclusive rights to certain mods, if they do that's a big reason to not make it happen. The current system may not be perfect, but it is however fair towards all the KSP's that can be modded in the first place by allowing manual installation after downloading with no mod host demanding exclusivity as a pre-requisite for their mod handling software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are just four options:

  1. You choose not to use mods.
  2. You are forced not to use mods. (console)
  3. You use CKAN.
  4. If you actually know what you're doing you do not use CKAN.

Yes. It is that simple! Now quit whining about it.

Edited by Tex_NL
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.