Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

I feel that if a moon were that close to the planet, it would be far too chaotic for life or a hospitable atmosphere.

The point in it is to have a planet with beautiful landscape and a beautiful horizon, with a large gas giant occupying it. Maybe it would not be realistic... But who said it has to be? And I just described what I would like to see. Even if it's impossible :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Come on squad. The solar system is too small. Gas giant 2 should be a greater priority than what you are working on right now.

After moving to Unity 5 and ironing out the bugs in the current system just stop and give us more planets!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't normally reply to these threads, but if we ever get any more planets added one of them should be named 'Alternis' in honour of the great mod that NovaSilisko once created.

Alternis. The God of change.

Edited by Veeltch

• 4 weeks later...

A planet that was 99% violent water with only steep volcano's pushing out. Very hard to land on.

A binary planet system like Pluto/Charon, perhaps the gravity calculations would be too much to do, I don't know.

A Uranus planet called Bung.

Whatever you guys do, we will love it. Best game ever, best education I have ever gotten about space and orbital mechanics. Thanks so very much.

- - - Updated - - -

A new planet or moon should have an easter egg that is a tribute to Apollo 12! perhaps a 12 written in stones inside a crater somewhere.

That is an unofficial list boxley, there were official plans for new planets in 1.0

Stuff is on that list and the WNTS list because they are asked repeatedly, and endlessly by everyone and others get fed up with it ;)

As this looks like yet another planets request thread I'm merging it with one of the many others.

• 1 month later...

Other than 2 new gas planets and their moons sqaud should add a new feature.

Normally if you would dive into a gas planet you would see nothing except surface and atmosphere later you will see a black hole and at -250 meters your spacecraft will explode.

So in the new feature you will see gas giant's atmosphere clouds and lighting then at -5000,0 you will splashdown at liquid hydrogen sea.

On 4.12.2015, 16:57:51, Curiosity7907 said:

Other than 2 new gas planets and their moons sqaud should add a new feature.

Normally if you would dive into a gas planet you would see nothing except surface and atmosphere later you will see a black hole and at -250 meters your spacecraft will explode.

So in the new feature you will see gas giant's atmosphere clouds and lighting then at -5000,0 you will splashdown at liquid hydrogen sea.

But that would be, although fun, horribly inaccurate. That's not how gas giants work.

4 hours ago, Tacitus said:

But that would be, although fun, horribly inaccurate. That's not how gas giants work.

No watch this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YVb0EmpgcU.

1.1 Is said to be release at 2016 by then Juno should reach and discover whats inside jupiter and what interior of jupiter juno discovers that should be in ksp.

I mean realy if you are adding gas giants so you should be abble to find something cool inside gas giant.

Any way now I will talk about planet shapes,colors,sizes and names.

Hmmmmm... If you go here http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/7/71/GasPlanet2.png you can get a peak at how will GP2 look like...

The names should come from the come from the same principal or myths form which Moho Eve Kerbin Duna Dres Jool and Eloo came from because.

Spoiler

I am very very very very bad at naming things.

• 4 weeks later...

I want an planet called Tev orbiting just at the edge of a star's habitable zone, with temperatures ariund freezing. On around 50% of the planets surface, if more than about 1 ton of weight is put on it, you it breaks and you fall into a cave. Maybe have liquid water deeper in the planet?

5 hours ago, I_love_Jeb said:

I want an planet called Tev orbiting just at the edge of a star's habitable zone, with temperatures ariund freezing. On around 50% of the planets surface, if more than about 1 ton of weight is put on it, you it breaks and you fall into a cave. Maybe have liquid water deeper in the planet?

Now that's just evil :D.

I see a challenge... Sink through the ice, circumnavigate under the ice skin and get back out through the same hole (if it's not frozen over by the time you get there).

At this point, having sampled Outer Planet Mods, seen new star systems in multiple YouTube videos, and having ideas of my own, I'd be happy to suggest that the OPM mod be incorporated into the stock game when 1.1 is out and stable. I was amazed how fast the mod's creator and helpers were able to churn out content and fixes to come where we are now.  I've been out of the loop for a while but there where talk of making sure that the Pluto analog "Plock" receives an update pending New Horizons' releases of content (boy am I still waiting for an updated TV show with all the goodies.

If I forego the OPM mod, then I would want the outer system to be an analog of ours (so Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto), maybe with Saturn having 7 moons. 
7 moons is a lot, but it would make for a good challenge of a Saturn-7... Don't forget the Titan analogue (now you guys see why I wanted the OPM mod stock, in many aspect it really is what I want).
Saturn/Uranus with rings, Uranus with an odd rotation/axis (if possible) and so on.   I'd really want one of the Moons of Uranus to orbit close so that when looking at the sky, a shot like this would be reality if you had a base there :

huQCq5s.jpg

One very important addition that I really want, is Halley's Comet (Hakkal's Komet?) with a very similar inclination and orbital period/eccentricity, I would want that Comet to be of the largest grade "E" asteroid (perhaps a bit bigger), but never run out of resources like the current planets. Make it have a tail and with the volumetric clouds installed some haze similar to current Minmus'.  The advantages of this comet are multiple.  Upon starting the simulation, it should be at it's farthest from it's sun orbit, but as you progress in-game and do missions it slowly comes closer and closer.  So you can take the challenge of going early, or wait for it being closer (possibly easier) later.   I would personally love to build a Base on it, and watch as it races thru inside Moho's orbit all the way past Neidon's (Neptune) Orbit.  It would make for interesting transfer windows if prepared long term.

halleys-comet-1986.jpg

These ideas put aside, I find myself wanting a Gliese 581 system analog (the 6 planet version), maybe if KSP ever moves out of the Solar System mode and onto a multi-star system version.  I personally lack the skill/patience/friends to put togetter a mod like this myself, but it's something I've been wanting for quite some time

Gliese_581_-_2010.jpg

Edited by Francois424

42 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

I've been out of the loop for a while but there where talk of making sure that the Pluto analog "Plock" receives an update pending New Horizons' releases of content (boy am I still waiting for an updated TV show with all the goodies.

If you are plugging the Plock-Karen system into the game, then I suggest that SigmaBinary (which adds a barycenter) addition gets added for that system too.

We need a system of like 10 equally sized planetoids orbiting each other, with a ring system that goes all over the place because gravity. That planetoid system will be orbiting a stupendously huge gas giant, orbiting yet another flabbergastingly collosal ice giant, orbiting Kerbol.

Seems easy.

What can possibly go wrong?

Right?...

A desert planet called Muadib

References, yo!

Also, Ameda: a puke green sedna analog, for those hard core players (Scott Manley).

Edited by Andem

KSP really needs a Uranus analogue. Saturn and Neptune analogues are just too mainstream:cool:

It should have characteristics of both Uranus and Neptune; a cloud-free atmosphere and rings (Uranus), along with an ocean-blue color (Neptune). Its name should be Kibiru (a play on Nibiru) and have four moons. One could be a smooth, Potato-shaped moon named Platato (cross between Plato and Potato). Another moon could be more of a Titan analogue. And a third could be a Pan analogue and have a huge equatorial ridge. Kibiru should have a radius of 3,000 km and a gravity of 0.77g.

On 7/22/2013 at 5:43 AM, Tw1 said:

One planet idea I'd love to see, which I've posted about a time before, is a planet that shares Kerbin's orbit, but is 180 degrees ahead.

I once made a planet called Rea (Pronounced REE-AH) that is a Kerbin analogue that orbits on the other side of Kerbol. It was going to be part of a BINARY EARTH system with 3 captured asteroids orbiting the binary planets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.