Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

As of now we have probably landed on all planets and moons of all sizes and shapes due to jebediah. but we still have 2 gas giants to go and some planets and the asteroid belt to go. What Color, shape, Size, Or moons Should it have, should we have an earth sized planet with tons of moons or what. What do you all think? post all of your ideas.

Personally I'd rather see further development of the planets and moons we already have instead of just adding more. Right now they're really just different colored spheres of varying sizes.

The one thing I would really like to see is a Titan analogue. Low gravity and lots of atmosphere. Also a volcanic one, IIRC there will possibly be a superhot hell-world as the first planet of the system even closer to the sun than Moho eventually.

I do agree that the current planets and moons could use more detail to them but AFAIK that's on the agenda for the devs, so there's no need to panic. So they'll get around to it, Nova said that he wants to add cryvolcanos/geysers on Eeloo for example. There are also rings (the second gas giant is supposed to have rings), clouds, asteroid belts and other bits that fall into the "hopefully one day" category.

Another oxygen planet!

That's also difficult to land on!

Due to the fact it has 17 moons CAUSING GRAVITY ASSISTS!

So basically Duna with 17 Ikes? (I swear every time I try to go to Duna "Ike encounter")

I'd actually like to find a Titan-esque planet as well though, actually.

Adding all kind of volcanisms would be great for me, but I'd LOVE to get some sort of geological prospection thingy. You know, all the kind of stuff like "go to the top of that hill and take a substrata sample" or even carring with yourself some real rocks on the back of the rover. Maybe that could become an issue for the scattering rocks, but hey, wondering is free!

The one thing I would really like to see is a Titan analogue. Low gravity and lots of atmosphere. Also a volcanic one, IIRC there will possibly be a superhot hell-world as the first planet of the system even closer to the sun than Moho eventually.

I do agree that the current planets and moons could use more detail to them but AFAIK that's on the agenda for the devs, so there's no need to panic. So they'll get around to it, Nova said that he wants to add cryvolcanos/geysers on Eeloo for example. There are also rings (the second gas giant is supposed to have rings), clouds, asteroid belts and other bits that fall into the "hopefully one day" category.

With terrain and planetary bodies being loaded only if they're needed to be in 0.20, it may be possible to mod in high resolution heightmaps or textures for planets that would improve the appearance big time, for no more than the cost of how much RAM KSP sucks up now

A planet, either Mun or Tylo sized, that shows signs of a huge impact. The main surface feature would be a giant crater that takes a large part out of the planet. Spreading out from it, there would be rifts that stretch for hundreds of kilometers. If it was closer to Kerbol, the impact area could still be molten; alternatively, the impact is very recent and the deeper cracks have magma at their lower depths (I prefer this second one).

Edited by TheDarkStar

With terrain and planetary bodies being loaded only if they're needed to be in 0.20, it may be possible to mod in high resolution heightmaps or textures for planets that would improve the appearance big time, for no more than the cost of how much RAM KSP sucks up now

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I remember reading that the fact everything was loaded into RAM was a major barrier to adding more new planets. The exact post and topic where I read that probably got lost when the kraken gobbled up the last six months of posts. Anyway the terrain on Kerbin is getting normal mapping in 0.20 which is probably a sign that Squad is indeed using the fact that memory constraints are no longer a barrier to making terrain prettier to do something about it.

A second gas giant called Grotesque, radius 5400 km and orbital distance between 91 and 107 million km, inclination 2,7 degrees. Color is blue and atmosphere extends to 177 km.

Largest moon is called Musa, radius 500 km and orbital distance between 35.000 and 38.000 km, inclination 0,4 degrees. Gravity 6,95 m/s and atmospheric pressure 0,49 ATM. Kinda dark world with some volcanic activity and polar ice-caps.

Second moon is Eeloo, radius 210 km and orbital distance between 89.000 and 114.000 km, inclination 6,6 degrees. Gravity 1,69 m/s, no atmosphere. Has some cryovolcanic phenomena.

Indeed, the new loading system is probably going to solve memory issues associated with more planets.

Personally, I'd be very interested in seeing a smallish ringed planet, where you'd have to more or less do a polar insert lest you get smashed on debris and penetrated by dust.

Personally I'd rather see further development of the planets and moons we already have instead of just adding more. Right now they're really just different colored spheres of varying sizes.

Dynamic surface features would be nice, such as Ice Jets firing out of the cracks on Eeloo, that could propel you upwards, or lava flows on Moho that would weaken the joints between parts.

If im correct star systems will be implemented Way Way WAY down the road if not even no star system, mostly because squad is still building coding, and improving the game and its realism one update at a time. also they are yet to have career mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.