Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

Rhina.

A beautiful blue gas giant with a thin gray ring around it.

With three moons.

Lile - A small brown captured asteroid

Kuest - A Titanesque hazy brown moon with flat terrain and mountains.

Rovia - A Mun-sized Kerbin but a lot colder and snowier.

Well, if said asteroid is made up of some weird, exotic material like black Obsidian glass (LOL) then I would prefer the name "Wonderland" to "Alice" :D

I actually meant it to be the same type of name as Ike. Ike is a real name.

Rhina.

A beautiful blue gas giant with a thin gray ring around it.

With three moons.

Lile - A small brown captured asteroid

Kuest - A Titanesque hazy brown moon with flat terrain and mountains.

Rovia - A Mun-sized Kerbin but a lot colder and snowier.

Yes. Just yes.

That being said, I wish for a body made of that--some black, glassy substance, like Obsidian. To the resident (planetary) geology majors and professionals (and self-taught scholars) in the forum, yes, I'm aware that it would perhaps be physically impossible to have such a configuration, even if obsidian is volcanic in origin, but hell, unless Squad explains, in scientific terms, how Minmus was formed (and what it is made of), then I think there's no counter-argument for a large hunk of black glass floating in the Kerbol (or other) system. :D

Maybe it could be the moon of a volcanic planet? Low gravity, and without an atmosphere? Ejections may... I don't know... form a ring of molten material, eventually forming into a ball and a satellite?

Id like to see a titan like planet, maybe located inbetween kerbin and duna. Id also like to see another star system where there is a kerbin like planet.

I second this :D

A while back I was learning how to make planets with Photoshop (which I totally forgot how I did, BTW). Here's some that I came up with. Note that these images are HUGE. Users of terrible resolutions, be warned.

Terran Planet

Well, we already have one of these.

Savannah Planet

Swamp Planet

Paradise Planet

The three of these are hardly interesting without anything actually 'on' the planets, in terms of trees and the like. Laythe is a bit similar to the 'paradise planet' geologic concept, I suppose.

Oceanic Planet

Better bring a boat.

Mountainous Planet

Something we don't really have is a planet or a moon with extreme geography. Fractures miles long along cliffs thousands of kilometers tall. The highest peaks could perhaps even poke out over what tenuous atmosphere there is. An extreme challenge in surface navigation and landing.

Ice Planet

It's like the ocean planet. But with more cold.

Barren Planet

Basically the Mun. Nothing terribly interesting, but I liked my lighting :)

... and my two most favorite:

Volcanic Planet

Visually ideal for the tidally-locked half-molten concept! The crust itself is solidifying, cooling, and then being torn apart by the stresses of constant tectonic heat transfer.

Comet

I'd really like to see the comet one... imagine having almost no visibility as you approach, rocks and debris whirling around you as you come in closer and closer... geysers of gasses erupting potentially throwing your ship off-course...

Yes. We definitely need a comet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically, what I want:

1) A comet first and foremost. Highly elliptical orbit, greatly inclined, extremely difficult to get to.

2) Smaller asteroids to populate the system, including filling up more orbits around Jool.

3) Asteroid belt. Not the Star Wars style where it's asteroids smashing into each other, but a sparsely populated belt with maybe the odd close call. I imagine this would have to wait for procedural planets though which is waaaaaaay down the line.

4) Volcanic planet.

5) A ringed gas giant with several moons, including some captured moons at higher inclinations.

6) Trans-Joolian objects - some very small, poorly-developed planetoids that are waaay out there. Like WAY out there.

7) Another star to visit. I'd like to see a red giant, though something extreme like a white dwarf would be nice.

Oh, and at some point there needs to be a binary pair like Charon and Pluto that orbits a central point. Though without n-body orbital mechanics this doesn't seem feasible.

Edited by Frostiken

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought caves were impossible with the current planet rendering system? If not, everything should have caves. :D Going exploring in a cave-rover would be so cool. :D

I don't know why it would be impossible, just do it how other games in the past have done it - you cut a hole in the terrain that you can 'fall through', but you fill the hole with objects, like a floor, walls, and a ceiling. I can't imagine that the engine doesn't allow for making a piece of terrain non-collidable and non-visible. We already know it's possible to fall under the terrain, all you'd be doing is making a spot to deliberately do it.

Edited by Frostiken

A small planet with an inclination of about 90° and a super high eccentricity having a periapsis interior to Eve and an apoapsis going far beyond Eeloo. This would make for very interesting journeys, like ships in polar orbit around Kerbol waiting for the planet to come close and then burn for it. Or people keeping close to that one orbit and as soon as the planet comes close to its ascending or descending node in relation to Kerbol they make a burn for the planet exactly at the node, burning tons of fuel to match the planets speed.

What I think would be cool is a planet/moon that rotates faster than its orbital velocity. So if a Kerbal were to jump, he wouldn't come back down right? Now I know that such a think would fall apart in seconds, but I'm sure that KSP physics can hold it all together.

How 'bout a binary moon pair orbiting the next gas giant? Perhaps orbiting close enough to one another you could "jump" from one atmosphere into the other. Would force players to figure out how to geosynchronous orbit over either moon. Or risk crashing into is twin.

Another possibility is perhaps a moon with a 90 degree inclination to the galactic plane.

Edited by spyker92

What I think would be cool is a planet/moon that rotates faster than its orbital velocity. So if a Kerbal were to jump, he wouldn't come back down right? Now I know that such a think would fall apart in seconds, but I'm sure that KSP physics can hold it all together.

How the hell would you even land on such a thing? If your lander bounced on touchdown, you would be on an escape trajectory...

A small planet with an inclination of about 90° and a super high eccentricity having a periapsis interior to Eve and an apoapsis going far beyond Eeloo. This would make for very interesting journeys, like ships in polar orbit around Kerbol waiting for the planet to come close and then burn for it. Or people keeping close to that one orbit and as soon as the planet comes close to its ascending or descending node in relation to Kerbol they make a burn for the planet exactly at the node, burning tons of fuel to match the planets speed.

Pretty sure that's called a comet.

I just want something with a really thick atmosphere that almost blots out the sun, but still is relatively easy to take off/land on.. Something that would make a beautiful base planet...

I would like to travel other system and colony oxygen planet. send resource and crew to start their own factory from that planet to developed trade between them...

Also I would like to see something like this

article-0-0F6B50C700000578-624_634x250.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.