Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

I think a good name for the second Gas Giant would be Salpur. I just think it fits, kinda like how Jool=Jupiter, Salpur=Saturn.

Also, I really think that focus should be on producing the asteroid belts, comets and meteors that litter the solar system, just like IRL.

WARNING You may lose your jaw

This guy has done it

He has also figured out how to make rings for planets

does anyone know when that'll be open to the public? I know the devs are working on other stuff, which i'm fine with, but I would really love something like this even if it was a mod.

does anyone know when that'll be open to the public? I know the devs are working on other stuff, which i'm fine with, but I would really love something like this even if it was a mod.

It probably won't be released for a really long time. In order to add planets, you have to break into the source code which ,as of now, is a big nono to the Devs and users.

Some general concepts for changes and addition that are drifting around my head (not to say this is the way they'll be though, we've all gotta generally agree what to implement and this is just my take! Plus discovery mechanics and hence the rest of the system won't happen for many updates)

Jool: Actually the second-smallest gas giant, with unusually large moons. All other gas giants would have objects smaller than or comparable to Moho.

- Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)

- Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.

- Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.

- More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations (ex. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

Gas planet 2: ~50% larger than Jool, with rings. Early version shown on a stream a while ago.

- Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)

- Daphy: Unusually smooth and round ball of fluff. An asteroid which has accumulated material from the rings, practically no gravity.

- Potatus: Small moon with relatively high inclination relative to GP2's equator. Composed of ices surrounding a highly dense core. Very rapid rotation (21 minutes) causes it to be stretched into an oblate spheroid (prototyped a while ago, the physics actually work and are really cool)

- Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)

- Tiny moons: Same case as Jool

Gas planet 3: Perhaps not an actual gas planet, could be a 2000km rocky planet with a thick atmosphere (have fun landing under 6g and 30 atmospheres of pressure)

- Moon with rings? Would have to be diffuse rings as well as recent, fully-formed rings wouldn't last long in that position.

Gas planet 4: Who knows.

Beyond: Who knows x2

Nova In case you dont know Ganymede a moon of jupiter has a thin Oxygen Atmosphere. I was thinking you could add a planet double as far out as Eeloo that has a thick Oxygen Atmosphere double that of Kerbin with Large Icy Rings and A Eeloo-Ish Surface And a Moon that is a Almost exact copy of its parent planet But only half as large With Cryo-Volcanos Made due to its Eliptical Orbit, and this moon has a Moon of its own. A tiny Asteroid Half the Size of Gilly with a Basic rocky surface.

With the biome system coming up, I'd like to see a tidal-locked planet (tidal locked to the sun, that is) where one side is completely melted, and the other side frozen.

Imagine the amazing landscapes in between and all the science we could do.

The planet Mesklin from "Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement.

Very massive and dense, very fast rotation so that it's spun out like a pancake. ~700g at the poles but only 3-4g at the equator.

VERY cool planet with lots and lots of weird effects because of the rotation, gravity and orbit.

Contact binary gas giants.

JUYLdhh.png

Made in 40 seconds in Paint.

Interesting, although realistically, I think it would look like this:

QzGDmdo.png

Yes, Can you feel the 4k-UHD-ness? made in 40 minutes on gimp.

Also, I am aware that the moon looks big. It is supposed to be a few times closer than the planets.

I am also aware that the smaller binary planet is stretched to an 11*14 ratio, this is intended, and is a realistic effect of tidal forces.

Crap... it looks like you can't feel the 4k-UHD-ness. Here is a link to where you can:

http://i.imgur.com/QzGDmdo.png

Edited by Pds314

What I would really like to see at this point is at least one other gas giant, preferably with a ring system and several moons. It should also be extremely far away, almost half Jool's distance from the Sun. It should be the final big destination, after you've visited everywhere else.

Aside from new planets, I'd really like to see improved terrain. Way more craters and tall mountains on Duna, maybe even a large valley somewhere on the planet. It's these things that make the real planets cool, it would be awesome to explore things like them in KSP. It would give a reason to build bigger and better rovers that can traverse complex terrain too.

A game mechanic I would love to see is things that can affect the duration of missions. For example, decay on RTGs, which could be realistic - when we time warp in KSP it is possible to skip forward quite a few years, some of my missions are up to 7 years or more. That's more than enough time for these power sources to become less efficient. Another thing I'd really love is dust and other elements on certain planets (such as Duna) that could effect solar panels. This could tie in with weather (which is also an important thing in my opinion), which could clean off the solar panels periodically, but not very often. If you didn't get a weather event for a while and your solar panels got too dusty, that would be the end of the mission. If you had kerbals nearby, or it was a manned mission, they could clean the solar panels too (much like you repack chutes).

I'm not expecting any of this in 0.22, or even 0.23, but I think some of it would really boost the realism and benefit the game. Especially things that can shorten the life of missions, thus providing reasons to build new ones every so often, and maintaining the ones you've got. That's a game mechanic that would be really nice in my opinion.

Edited by Snow Leopard

Interesting, although realistically, I think it would look like this:

QzGDmdo.png

Yes, Can you feel the 4k-UHD-ness? made in 40 minutes on gimp.

Also, I am aware that the moon looks big. It is supposed to be a few times closer than the planets.

I am also aware that the smaller binary planet is stretched to an 11*14 ratio, this is intended, and is a realistic effect of tidal forces.

Crap... it looks like you can't feel the 4k-UHD-ness. Here is a link to where you can:

http://i.imgur.com/QzGDmdo.png

A binary gas giant would be neat one problem barycenters maybe a small 1 meter celestial body would be the barycenter?

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but as far as I know nth body physics does not work in the game. Meaning you can not have two object orbit around each other(or a shared center of mass). If this is changing that would be amazing but I think it'd take a lot of work. If I'm leaving out something or am wrong please correct me.

the problem: Leythe is too warm for its location. It should be orbited around a red dwarf - in case Kerbol can be a binal system. I think somethig similar to the theoretical Nemesis - red dwarf of Earth. Or maybe there can be also something like the theoretical Vulcan...

Just a Reply to the Dev-Post on The Moons of GP-2 (OPINIONS)

-Eeloo: No complaints deserves to be where it's going

-Daphy: Unfortunately sounds like a Duck (Perhaps Daphny with an n would be better) Also sounds like Prometheus and Pandora, maybe should orbit within the rigs of GP-2 like a shepherd moon.

-Potatus: I know it's supposed to be like potato, and i wouldn't have any complaints if it looked like Bop or Gilly, but it's covered in ice so i'd think it would be less potato like. A great name for a small outer moon though.

-Fonso: Awesome, no complaints here

Also just an after thought but maybe GP-2 should be a gold planet considering it is one of the few colors not in the solar system color pallet, then with large silver rings, a gem in the reaches of deep space.

Some general concepts for changes and addition that are drifting around my head (not to say this is the way they'll be though, we've all gotta generally agree what to implement and this is just my take! Plus discovery mechanics and hence the rest of the system won't happen for many updates)

Jool: Actually the second-smallest gas giant, with unusually large moons. All other gas giants would have objects smaller than or comparable to Moho.

- Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)

- Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.

- Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.

- More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations (ex. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

Gas planet 2: ~50% larger than Jool, with rings. Early version shown on a stream a while ago.

- Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)

- Daphy: Unusually smooth and round ball of fluff. An asteroid which has accumulated material from the rings, practically no gravity.

- Potatus: Small moon with relatively high inclination relative to GP2's equator. Composed of ices surrounding a highly dense core. Very rapid rotation (21 minutes) causes it to be stretched into an oblate spheroid (prototyped a while ago, the physics actually work and are really cool)

- Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)

Gas planet 3: Perhaps not an actual gas planet, could be a 2000km rocky planet with a thick atmosphere (have fun landing under 6g and 30 atmospheres of pressure)

- Moon with rings? Would have to be diffuse rings as well as recent, fully-formed rings wouldn't last long in that position.

Yes, I'm quoting an old quote in and old thread, but i wonder if this is still what it's going to be...

The problem with non-spherical bodies (like long potatoes) is that KSP uses a point source for gravity, which means that every gravity well is perfectly spherical, and the edges of the potato would be huge slopes that you would fall down, and when you reach the equator, you'd fall back to them again.

The problem with non-spherical bodies (like long potatoes) is that KSP uses a point source for gravity, which means that every gravity well is perfectly spherical, and the edges of the potato would be huge slopes that you would fall down, and when you reach the equator, you'd fall back to them again.

Is this a problem, or is this simply a lot of fun?

And it is not that far off, in real life, walking over a long body would also feel like a rising slope as you get further away from the center.

May I ask when are new planets going to be implemented?

How about gas planet with flying continent?

Lets say that this flying continent was once moon of planet, its made of avatars unobtaniumm and planet has strong magnetic field.

Hallelujah-Mountains-1-avatar-19133725-1024-768.jpg

Woudlnt that be cool, chasing your landing site, because it constqantly moves inside atmosphere? I wonder if game woudl even allow something like that to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.