Why do you "Like" things?

GarrisonChisholm

Why do you Like things?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What single event Most often earns your 'Like' in the forums?

• You agree with someone's post
    • Someone impresses you
    • Someone accomplishes a "first"
    • Cool pictures are presented
    • You are Entertained
    • Your rationale is capricious and beyond mortal comprehension

45 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I honestly don't understand how this got so heated and complicated!  Push a button if you like something, leave it if you don't.... so what if people know or don't know who pushed it.... why does that matter???  If you end up with.... what did you say... bandwagons, so what?  I have a fan club.  Judging by how people responded to my fiction piece, I had one anyway.  So again, what's the big deal, other than now I know people liked what I wrote.  Which is what I wanted... people to enjoy reading it.... maybe get a laugh or two.
Are you upset my reputation gained a few hundred points because of it?   Then write a fiction piece of your own!   I put a lot of work into that, and I know some of the other fan-fiction authors are putting a lot of work into their stuff.  They deserve all the likes and rep they get!!!

In the end, it's just KSP.... it's just a game....not facebook, or twitter... or some matter of national security.... just us bunch of KSP-O-Holics having fun.

What does it really matter??? 

I don't 'like' that this emphasizes leaving a "like" over leaving a comment. I detest "likes". "Likes" don't tell me anything. As an artist, for instance. I can't tell if a "like" was because somebody liked my precision in linework, or if someone appreciates the detail I put into a design, or they like something about an artistic choice I made in drawing something, or if I just happened to be drawing something about their favorite series/character (which is further muddied by crossovers), or if I somehow stumbled upon their weird fetish. "Likes" are useless, featureless blips, clumped into an indistinguishable blob on a radar screen that, to continue the metaphor, used to show the details every appearing blip, at least half the time.

You're probably going to say that the same can be done with a post, or a PM - but then the user has to do two actions! Leave a like, and post something! And a post can be seen by everyone (not a good idea if the subject post was a long time ago), and a PM may seem like an invitation to talk, which I know a lot of people just won't want to bother with. They will leave a like and be done with it. The old system was neat and tidy, it bundled the reputation bump with a short message that prompted no reply, and was candid and effective. What we've been given with this forum "upgrade" is just the social media standardization virus doing its best to ruin what little bits of uniqueness the various interesting sites around the web still have left.

5 minutes ago, Sean Mirrsen said:

I don't 'like' that this emphasizes leaving a "like" over leaving a comment. I detest "likes". "Likes" don't tell me anything. As an artist, for instance. I can't tell if a "like" was because somebody liked my precision in linework, or if someone appreciates the detail I put into a design, or they like something about an artistic choice I made in drawing something, or if I just happened to be drawing something about their favorite series/character (which is further muddied by crossovers), or if I somehow stumbled upon their weird fetish. "Likes" are useless, featureless blips, clumped into an indistinguishable blob on a radar screen that, to continue the metaphor, used to show the details every appearing blip, at least half the time.

You're probably going to say that the same can be done with a post, or a PM - but then the user has to do two actions! Leave a like, and post something! And a post can be seen by everyone (not a good idea if the subject post was a long time ago), and a PM may seem like an invitation to talk, which I know a lot of people just won't want to bother with. They will leave a like and be done with it. The old system was neat and tidy, it bundled the reputation bump with a short message that prompted no reply, and was candid and effective. What we've been given with this forum "upgrade" is just the social media standardization virus doing its best to ruin what little bits of uniqueness the various interesting sites around the web still have left.

So you don't want a like... you want a review?  For everything you do?  Isn't that asking a bit much?

What about people that don't have a specific reason?  I know plenty that would say "I like that."
And when you ask why, they say, "I don't know... I just like it..."

I just don't get what your saying..... and I think I'm going to respectfully agree to disagree and leave this arguement.

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, Sean Mirrsen said:

Please recall how the old system worked. Now look at how the "like system" works. Can you please identify for me the ways in which the "like system" is "the same thing as before", besides the fact that you need to click a button to use it?

Hint: there is only one, which is that it also results in a user having their rep count increased.

The user gets no message to go with the reputation, and everyone can see not only when a post was liked, but also who it was liked by, creating bandwagons.

I already proposed how it could be improved at one point - by keeping the 'like system' in the one function it deserves to have (a counter for people who agree with the post, for impromptu polls, suggestions, and valid answers in the support sections), and reinstating the old reputation system in full.

Ok, I was wrong there. Leaving a message is a plus for the old. I honestly doubt bandwagons will be created. When I like something I don't base it off of what other people thought. I either liked it or I didn't. I don't understand the fuss with it. It's just a damn button that adds to rep. Any negatives are minuscule a best and the system works just as good as the old. It sounds like you're just being overly aggressive because you can.

Am I the only one who actually disliked the messages in the old rep system? I thought they were a nice idea in principle, but in practice I actually gave out rep quite a bit less often because of them. I'd click the little star, the message window would pop up, I'd draw a blank on what to say for a couple minutes and end up giving the whole thing up. And when I did put something in, no matter how long I spent agonizing over it, it usually ended up being something pretty pointless, like "cool ship!" or "well said!" or some such that wasn't much use to anyone. Only rarely did I actually have something useful to say--and those were often the times when I would just reply to the post, making the rep comment redundant and again leaving me without anything useful to say in it. And going the other way, receiving rep, I found that when someone left a nice comment, I always felt a bit rude for not responding somehow. I wasn't, of course, there was no way to respond in that system, but I'm just so used to the idea of saying "thanks" whenever someone gives me a compliment that not being able to do so felt wrong.

The new system, I think, is much more low-stress. I just click "like" if I like a thing and have done with it, and never mind the exact reason why I liked it. If I have something useful to say beyond "nice post!" I'll reply to the post in addition to "liking" it. And I kind of like that it's displayed publicly, too, although I totally see why some people don't. For me, keeping track of who likes what is interesting and helps me get to know people in a different way than reading their posts. I also enjoy noticing what kinds of posts of my own get lots of likes, what kinds consistently get one or two, and what kinds rarely get any at all. It doesn't really affect what I'm likely to post, but it's an interesting, if imprecise, measure of how interesting and/or useful a post has been. As to the "bandwagon" effect, I'm not bothered by it. I find myself liking posts with no prior likes about as often as posts with a dozen.

The one thing I really miss from the old rep system, silly as it sounds, was the little descriptions you saw if you moused-over somebody's rep bars. So and so "owns a roll of duct tape" or whatever. I think I was up to "has assisted many engineers in trouble" by the time of the forum switch, and I was actually looking forward to graduating up to whatever the next one was. It was fun, in a silly, pointless way like leveling up in an RPG, but still fun. I wouldn't mind having those back.

7 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

[...] I thought they were a nice idea in principle, but in practice I actually gave out rep quite a bit less often because of them. I'd click the little star, the message window would pop up, I'd draw a blank on what to say for a couple minutes and end up giving the whole thing up. [...]

You know, that reminds me that back when we had that system I'd have the same problem.  Often I would just leave no message at all.

The liker knows what he likes at all times. He knows this because he knows what he doesn't. By subtracting what he likes from what he doesn't, or what he doesn't from what he does (whichever is greater), he obtains a difference, or deviation. The poster uses deviations to generate posts to change the liker from a post which he doesn't like to a post where he likes, and arriving at a post where he didn't, he now does.

Consequently, the post that he likes, is now the post that he didn't like before, and it follows that the post that he did, is now the post that he didn't. In the event that the post that he is liking is not the post that he didn't like, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between what the liker likes, and what he doesn't.

If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the liker. However, the liker must also know what he liked. The liker's "Like this" button scenario works as follows: because a variation has modified some of the likes the liker has given, he is not sure about what he liked. 

However, he is sure what he didn't like, within reason, and he knows what he liked. He now subtracts what he should like from what he doesn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of what he shouldn't like, and what he liked, he is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called "Like this".

Edited by Guest
Ach, my head hurts now.

4 hours ago, Hotaru said:

I thought they were a nice idea in principle, but in practice I actually gave out rep quite a bit less often because of them.

And because of that, you only repped-up those posts which were actually of outstanding quality, those that impressed you significantly enough that you would not be deterred by some simple thing like a message prompt.

Right now you can get rep for arguing on the forums. I detest every single point of reputation I "earned" since the forum move, because I know that, objectively, I did not deserve any of them - I only got them because giving out "rep" is now so easy it can be done without a thought.

6 minutes ago, Sean Mirrsen said:

And because of that, you only repped-up those posts which were actually of outstanding quality, those that impressed you significantly enough that you would not be deterred by some simple thing like a message prompt.

Not really. In practice, there wasn't much correlation between the quality of the posts and whether I could think of anything intelligent to say about them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.