Issues using the main menu on a Linux machine (Ubuntu 14.10)

I'm running Ubuntu 14.10, 64 bit. I've installed Linux compatible Steam, as well as the Linux compatible version of Kerbal Space Program. I've ran into a very interesting glitch. When I launch the game, it's full screen by default, but the resolution is off. I'm on a 4:3, and it's scaled to 16:9. Now, that's fine, whatever. It loads all the parts just fine. The main issue is when I get to the main menu. None of the buttons are currently functioning. The courser rapidly flickers as well. I've tried alt-tabbing around to see if maybe something pulled me out of the game and was causing issues, but that wasn't the case. After a restart, the problem is persisting. I've also tried going to my install folder under steam, and changing the resolution through the windows (I believe it's windows, I had to use Wine) launcher, but that didn't seem to effect my actual game in any way, the odd resolution persisted, as did the unusable menu. 

If any one else has ran into this and has a solution I'd be very grateful. If anyone could provide any solutions at all it would be greatly appreciated. I'm able to give any information you need in fixing my issue. Thank you so much in advance for any help. 

Hi there, I just recently switched to Ubuntu myself (I assume it's the same version). Have not yet installed steam but maybe try starting through "KSP.x86-64" directly in your steamlibrary/ksp - folder..

But I have no clue about linux yet and it could just be a configuration problem.. in that case I would try to change the resolution to 4:3 wich you can do in the config file located in the same Location, if you can't access through menu.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Emma Ann Priest said:

It's full screen by default, but the resolution is off

You might try setting it manually in settings.cfg - the entries are obvious.

As @Nightshift83 mentioned, you'll want to be running the 64bit client - IIRC steam starts the 32bit version by default. Either launch it directly with KSP.x86_64 or change steam's launch options - instructions for this and  a bunch of other useful stuff here. (note links are a mite broken in this thread ATM, you'll have to scroll a bit to find the section you're after).

If this doesn't sort it, it's probably worth posting some logs etc, as described here.

9 hours ago, Emma Ann Priest said:

I believe it's windows, I had to use Wine

I don't know where you're getting this windows stuff from, the GNU/Linux KSP download contains no windows launcher. It's 'Launcher.x86_64', and it's a native binary, though it's also pretty useless.

Edited by steve_v
Horrid editor.

Its your graphics driver. Chances are, you are either using Nvidia graphics chip and have not installed proprietary driver, so libgl1 is provided by nouveau driver (opensource nvidia driver) - which is "russian roulette" when it comes to performance. It could also be that your hardware is very new and you are using relatively old software stack. In this case use newer kernel+open stack if you use AMD or Intel; or upgrade your proprietary driver if you use Nvidia.

HD5850 with Debian Stable here (Liquorix kernel + mesa, libgl, libdrm from backport repository). No issues.

Edit: I just read that Ema uses Wine to run a Windows version of KSP. I am using native Linux version on Debian Stable.

Edited by Kerbal101

Hi @Emma Ann Priest, can you please delete the settings.cfg in the game folder, this will reset KSP to the default settings, then start KSP directly with either the KSP.x86 or KSP.x86_64 file.

If you are still unable to operate the menu after this, please upload the Player.log from /home/yourUserName/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/ to a file share site and post the link here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.