[1.3.1] Prakasa Aeroworks

Hey, guys,

After a long period of silence on my part, LinuxGuruGamer has done me the tremendous favor of taking over the maintenance of this project.  As the last poster stated, LinuxGuruGamer's adoption thread can be found here

I'll probably see you guys around one day or another, and almost certainly in KSP2, but for now, direct all comments and inquiries to his new thread. I'm requesting this one be locked to prevent confusion.

Cheers,

Balto 

D2YCtxJ.png

V0.8.0

(Southern Cross Plays Softly in the Distance)

Welcome to the Prakasa Aeroworks development thread, which is now actually for development. Release thread over hereStick around to post suggestions/see work in progress images. 

gfyTnPH.png

Image Album:

http://imgur.com/a/lrUdq

(Can't get it to embed for some reason)

License:

This work is Licensed under a Creative Commons

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

tIvLkKH.png

Edited by Balto-the-Wolf-Dog
Release 6, release thread.

6 hours ago, Neutrinovore said:

Umm, okay, you came out of nowhere with some pretty darn nice looking parts, my friend!  :D  I'm looking forward to having some new command pods to play with, thank you!

6 hours ago, Rho-Mu 34 said:

While textures could use some more polishing, command pods still look very impressive! This mod is definitely off to a great start.

Thanks for the feedback guys, nice to know I've got a solid start. As it so happens these two are very related. I've been modeling in some capacity for years, but finally (and miraculously, after years of occasional passionate attempts) figured out UV. As such when it comes to textures I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. The only thing I really got down to a science was the window exteriors. Right now I'm doing everything at 1080x1080 with a mix of photoshop-derived and heavily edited stock textures, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

4 hours ago, musdancat said:

AWESOME!!!! I love that you made IVAs too :) A light one pilot Mk1 like the pre1.0.5 would be nice (small and light) ....

I'm all about IVA's. Anticipate basically everything crewed  having an IVA, particularly the command pods, as I won't fly without it.

Here's some early work on a new pod in 2m, 1.25m, and mk2 sizes. (1.25 lacks the floorboard between the upper and lower deck, just has increased vis). Mk2 version somewhat pending my finding a way to import something else already mk2 so I have a reference for the actual dimensions and shape. If anyone can give me a way to do that (or an alternate way to match the profile) I'd be indebted. Adapting to it from what I have should be easy from there.

M1cL9Jh.jpg

This looks nice! I love what you did on the exterior, the textures look awesome :D. But the IVA textures need some work in my opinion, especially that one of the hypersonic pod. The models also look really nice and futuristic, keep up the good work!

Edited by ZentroCatson
typo

Status update: considerable progress on a third pod. I know I said I was focusing on not mk3, but ehhh. I've had this sitting around a long time (or rather the vessel I designed ages ago that it was adapted from) and wanted to bring it to life.

ghrDLJW.png

lnQaRWD.png

9uGlBPl.png

i8U7VKz.png

Update: Getting better with textures. A little, at least. New pod will probably be added to the download in the next few days; it doesn't agree with FAR much (none of them do, really. Going to look into that.) and it doesn't have a crew exit trigger yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Posting again for new release, since I don't think KSP forums notifies of edits. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Added 10 kerbal Mk3 Dekhana pod and 3 Kerbal 1.25m Asima pod, both with IVA. More images in the OP post whenever imgur figures out they're there.

4eXFOqR.pngo5OzqHM.png

Hello all.  :)  @Balto-the-Wolf-Dog, good to see new parts, keep up the very nice work!  One comment, if I may:  I think that the new Asima pod is your best looking part yet!  However, I think that from the look of it and just the general proportions, it would work much better as a 2.5 meter pod instead of the 1.25 meter size it is now.  Just my opinion.  Anyway, I rescaled it in the config file, and it works just fine.  I'm sure that the IVA doesn't work very well now, but since I don't really use the IVA views when I play, it's not really a big problem for me.  Although, if you did want to do a 2.5 meter version of this cockpit with a corresponding IVA, I'm sure that would be pretty cool too.  ;)  Also, at the larger size, I think that I'll add some crew capacity as well, I'm sure that it would carry at least 6 Kerbals now.

Anyway, fwiw.  :D

9 hours ago, Neutrinovore said:

Hello all.  :)  @Balto-the-Wolf-Dog, good to see new parts, keep up the very nice work!  One comment, if I may:  I think that the new Asima pod is your best looking part yet!  However, I think that from the look of it and just the general proportions, it would work much better as a 2.5 meter pod instead of the 1.25 meter size it is now.  Just my opinion.  Anyway, I rescaled it in the config file, and it works just fine.  I'm sure that the IVA doesn't work very well now, but since I don't really use the IVA views when I play, it's not really a big problem for me.  Although, if you did want to do a 2.5 meter version of this cockpit with a corresponding IVA, I'm sure that would be pretty cool too.  ;)  Also, at the larger size, I think that I'll add some crew capacity as well, I'm sure that it would carry at least 6 Kerbals now.

Anyway, fwiw.  :D

I agree, I think I'm starting to hit my stride with respect to style and aesthetic; I'm very happy with Asima. As it happens I had a similar pod planned in the 2.5m formfactor. Fixed it up real quick for comparison. Pod on the right is a 2.5m Asima, left is the new one. Bear in mind the sketchup scale guy seems to be a little taller than a Kerbal.

The scaled up Asima makes for some absolutely towering windows, which makes for a cool IVA but seems a little disproportionate. The newer design is much bulkier and has a sleeker neck and general taper, generally making a little more sense at the 2.5 scale. Aesthetically though, I think I may still prefer the 2.5m Asima. It makes a little less sense from a realism standpoint but has a much more interesting shape. That's convenient seeing as it saves me another round of exterior UV work (and a texture file worth of RAM, which isn't negligible after the five-odd file monstrosity Dekhana).

I am very happy with the Asima pod at 1.25 so I won't be switching it, but I might make a duplicate 2.5 version with a redone IVA to match. The more I look at it the more I like it that way. Let me know which you guys prefer for the 2.5m version; it strikes me a little redundant to do both. I'd love to see what you're building with these things, particularly given my own building styles are very well (and fairly narrowly) defined.

ECdWdWC.pngh1jIYXV.png

Additionally I've been working on a 1.25m SCRAMjet to haul these things to orbit, as it seems a bit of a waste to me to design something futuristic that's always out of fuel by the time it gets to Mun. It's not overwhelmingly powerful and flames out at low altitudes/subsonic speeds, but will maintain reasonable thrust at sufficient speeds and altitudes to push you nearly into orbit if you're careful and patient with it. I'll probably make a quick 2.5 version too, though propulsion isn't my focus at the moment. Still fiddling with balance as it is; my reference for performance is the old the XR-2 Ravenstar SCRAM from Orbiter.

Is there any way to re-size images in this editor Facepunch style? I hate flooding the thread with these wallpaper sized reference images.

• 2 weeks later...

Kerbalstuff just bit the dust. I'll switch to github on the next release (which will include the 2.5m Asima version and 1.25m SCRAMjet, as well as a patch to Asima giving it togglable overhead lighting in IVA), unless anyone is aching for the current version in the mean time. 

Progress on IVA for the rescaled Asima, indoor flying bridge edition:

for all your forward viability needs

6SBCCdJ.pngQAxAFSP.png

I still have to skin the balcony supports, but that ought to be quick when I get around to it. Standard unity setup and tuning after that. The SCRAMjet is good to go. Expect an upload in the next few days provided I don't get sidetracked. College, so no promises. Let me know if you want the 0.2 download in the interim.

Edit:

Though it won't make it into 0.3, I'm going to rework the IVA textures (and possibly the external textures) on Sadhak now that I've worked out ways of mitigating the aliasing imperfections that plagued surfaces on the first version, as well as ways of adding texture and dimension/generally sucking less. So far I'm happiest with the Asima and Dekhana IVA textures; as such when I go back over Sadhak I may change the aesthetic somewhat. Asima is a much darker environment than my previous pods and I'm torn as to whether I want to give Sadhak a similar treatment. Most likely I'll give it the darker blue-gray of Dekhana's interior, but if there are any other opinions or recommendations I'd like to hear them. Initially I planned it with a modern airliner cabin aesthetic, but I'm not sure I have the resolution for the fine detail to not look flat white, even at 2048x2048. 

Edit #2:

View from the primary con in unity

dV1lSq2.png

Edit 3: It's done, but Curse isn't cooperating. Expect a Github download tomorrow.

On 2/1/2016 at 4:15 PM, Neutrinovore said:

if you did want to do a 2.5 meter version of this cockpit with a corresponding IVA, I'm sure that would be pretty cool too.  ;) 

Good news everyone!

Spoiler

yDmkpKP.pngdvBTv68.png

Another update post. 

0.3 Released (Asima S2, SCRAMjet, patches to Asima S1), new download on Curse. Github when I get around to it, SpaceDock when it exists. OP has been updated with the new link(s), a few new pictures, changelog, etc.

Edit:

Spoiler

ojLCKhs.png

YsWbZJO.png

Kav4azF.png

Can't stop making 2.5m pods...

Though this one is also filling out to be a promising 1.25m. May wind up another dual version

Edit March 7th: Progress on crew cabin & The shape of things to come

Spoiler

y41eKnx.png

1mctW1l.png.

orFYfdr.png

Edit March 25th:

Spoiler

0WDb73c.png

x7e42Fj.png

nvTxPsg.png

• 1 month later...

I basically haven't done any balancing at all aside from the engines, and to some extent intakes to match. The fuel volumes were just generalized as reasonable. SCRAM performance was balanced in a non-FAR environment though I use FAR personally; the lacking drag with properly sleek designs makes the SCRAMs pretty unbeatable, so I might release FAR/non-FAR configs for them. If you want to take stab at balancing them how you feel appropriate I'd love to see it, or even just adopt it. I'm mostly in it for the modelling. 

Fresh from a few sessions of bored modelling and texturing, I bring you Ankhen: Pushing the visibility envelope even further.

Spoiler

VVv0UUH.png

1K4erQ5.png

The I learned how to normal map! edition

bg4mFHA.png

18 hours ago, theonegalen said:

You make beautiful, crazy-looking, things.

I come bearing further crazy

MNiD7cT.png

Electrodynamic thrusters for 2.5 and 1.25m profiles (left and right). The 1.25 is still 2.5 at the moment because I derived them from the same framing and figured it would be better for displaying them both.

I'm not entirely sure how I want them to behave yet. Part of me wants to let them use intake air as propellant to some extent (in a VASIMR-esque sort of manner), making them low-thrust all-rounders. I don't mean to incur on Interstellar's territory though (and really don't care to develop my own reactor system) so more likely they'll take the more stock-electrics plausible route of being space-only hall or magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters. Out of frame is a simple fuselage-sized RTG/reactor kind of thing to help power these things. Expect thrust somewhat higher than dawns tweaked to the same scale, though higher mass as well. I may cave and let them run on liquid fuel (ostensibly hydrogen) and save myself/the part count new xenon tanks.

If anyone has any suggestions to any of those ends I'd like to hear them. I'm fairly ambivalent myself.

W3vBTMs.png

EEFOSFU.png

Ladies and gentlemen: Introducing the Non-Lazytm telescope

It's not quite as poly-heavy as it looks. Probably still irresponsible, but pretty.

Update 4/7: Progress on the interior of the new cockpit.

i5Fvis5.png

Some plans for .5: Electrostatic thrusters, At least the one new pod, possibly more, 2.5m Fuselage RTG/Radiator thing to help with the Electrostats, some kind of a 2.5m fuselage observatory with science lab function, probably a pure fuel tank.

Update 4/8: In Unity

VIlk831.png

Update Later 4/8: In KSP

0g7MI4a.png

CW4iqIh.png

M3hVOI9.png

N389Owo.png

Edit 4/11: 2.5m Ion engine ingame with custom effects

1HugPRE.png

SR6EFA9.png

• 2 weeks later...