[1.3.1] Prakasa Aeroworks

45 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

im sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a problem that needs to be addressed in the form of this unhandled exception that occurs when I try to install this mod via ckan 

Cutout

what do I do? can I do anything?

You might start by going to the release thread and read first page

EDIT: I've heard that downloading via CKAN can result in receiving the 0.2 version, which was the last one released on *. Since * is dead I'm not sure how to get to it to fix it. Barring that, the direct downloads from curse and spacedock are fine. 

and what @Lisias said

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

To everyone that running this on KSP 1.4, there's a forgotten ModuleManager dll in the package that needs to be deleted:

Missing method UnityEngine.Texture2D::LoadImage(byte[]) in assembly /Users/lisias/Applications/Games/KSP/Exodus/KSP.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll, referenced in assembly /Users/lisias/Applications/Games/KSP/Exodus/GameData/PrakasaAeroworks/parts/Mk2Thruster/ModuleManager.2.6.8.dll

It now and then floods my KSP.log with this message, and today KSP found it was a good idea to just CTD on me after logging this on output.log from Unity. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for being absent for so long. 2018 turned into a rollercoaster year for me, and it happens that part of that rollercoaster was getting a real job in 3d art. As much as I love my job, I have to admit that working in 3ds max all day does somewhat dampen my enthusiasm to open it back up when I get done. That said, I'm not here to say I won't be maintaining this project. I've finally gotten settled in a new house and discovered there's a new project to mod VR support into KSP, so I'm poised to dive/be dragged back in. I'm afraid I can't promise that I'll ever be as fast as I once was (at the time I had literally nothing else to do), but hopefully I can get this cleaned up and maybe knock out a new cockpit every once and awhile.  Looking forward to not being dead; it's cool to know people still use this pack after I've failed to update it for a year. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure everything should be hunky dory as far as compatibility goes. I haven't actually tested it though, so correct me if I'm wrong. 

On 10/11/2018 at 10:21 PM, Lisias said:

Hi.

To everyone that running this on KSP 1.4, there's a forgotten ModuleManager dll in the package that needs to be deleted:

Missing method UnityEngine.Texture2D::LoadImage(byte[]) in assembly /Users/lisias/Applications/Games/KSP/Exodus/KSP.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll, referenced in assembly /Users/lisias/Applications/Games/KSP/Exodus/GameData/PrakasaAeroworks/parts/Mk2Thruster/ModuleManager.2.6.8.dll

It now and then floods my KSP.log with this message, and today KSP found it was a good idea to just CTD on me after logging this on output.log from Unity. :)

I'll make sure I ax that when I update. Could have sworn I got rid of it, but I must have never actually pushed that update. I don't have any better excuse for that than "college". It's probably more accurate to say I'm lazy and forgot.

2 hours ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

I'll make sure I ax that when I update. Could have sworn I got rid of it, but I must have never actually pushed that update. I don't have any better excuse for that than "college". It's probably more accurate to say I'm lazy and forgot.

Look on the bright side: this add-on is so gorgeous, that I took the time to "fix it" instead of deleting it. No way I would ditch this. One os the best looking parts on the game! :) 

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Look on the bright side: this add-on is so gorgeous, that I took the time to "fix it" instead of deleting it. No way I would ditch this. One os the best looking parts on the game! :) 

That's really cool to hear, particularly given the pretty-shoddy-in-retrospect craftsmanship on everything before Jalakag or so, when I hadn't quite figured topology out. I'd like to say I'm going to rebuild all the old stuff from the ground up, but so far attempts to that end have resulted more in spiritual successors than in faithful overhauls (hence the last 2.5 pod not being a real Kalpana replacement), so for now I'm just going to forge ahead. Any particular profile/style requests? It might be a little while given I have to rebuild my unity environment from scratch, but I'm pretty sure I mostly remember how to do it. 

12 minutes ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

Any particular profile/style requests? 

Just food for though, take everything with a huge grain of salt. :)

Im playing a lot with Blimps (heisemberg) and ground vehicles (buffalo, grounded, et all) and would be nice to have something this style "compatible" with them. There're also Mark 3 and Mark 4 vessels that sometimes I would like to have this available.

I know I would have a very good use for them.

About wings, engines et all, perhaps would be a good idea to "choose" a third-party addon as a provider, and adapt to it. This would save you some duplicated work and would allow you to focus on where you want. If style became a problem (probably will, your design is very luxurious and futuristic), perhaps a bed where one would attach the engine inside would be a better cost/benefit solution.

I'm a heavy user of Mark4 Parts, and when the maintainer decided to "rip off" engines and lifting/control surfaces to other mods (I think he created "Near Future Aeronautics" with some of them), I initially didn't liked it too much, but now I have to agree that that was a wise decision.

Welcome back!!

I look forward to seeing what happens here. I love this mod very much..unfortunately i dont play with it as much as i would like to..as the file size is a bit large..but im a big fan of the xenon thrusters and aero/nuclear? jet engines. Probably my all-time favorite design in the game!

Edited by Jesusthebird

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

k0SXgKG.png

3DixbCA.png

94NaMuB.png

IuHgcxx.png

Hello again for the first time in a long time. I know I said I'd un-dead myself four months ago, but better late than never. Finals are (mostly) over, and the bug finally bit today. On a related note, I've been learning substance painter for work, and in the process discovered that I actually really enjoy working with it. Texture work was formerly my least favorite part of the process, so it's a very welcome change, especially given how much better a job I can do with it. The Asima pod has always been a favorite of mine and is one of the very few SketchUp-Era pods I actually still use in my own builds, so this spiritual successor will be the first part in Prakasa to be textured in Substance.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:50 PM, Brainpop14 said:

Is this mod seriously dead again? I certainly hope not, because this is some awesome work and I'd love to keep using it!

The rumours about this Add'on's demise have been greatly exaggerated. :) 

14 hours ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

k0SXgKG.png

[cut by me]

The Asima pod has always been a favorite of mine and is one of the very few SketchUp-Era pods I actually still use in my own builds, so this spiritual successor will be the first part in Prakasa to be textured in Substance.

Impressive. Most impressive. Had you ever considered a position on the Dark Side? We have a excellent health insurance!! :D 

• 1 month later...

glad to see your still alive, this is probably my favorite mod and i never play without it for long. If you are looking for requests or ideas then i would ask for an inline mk2 cockpit similar to the jaklag. Though there are a few mk2 cockpit mods out there, i don't know of any besides B9 who have made an IVA for an inline mk2 cockpit, with or without a unique fuselage. 

while i'm here i have often wondered if the atmospheric prakasa engines were ever updated with respect to the more complex behavior of vanilla atmospheric engines in modern ksp. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few announcements: 

• Due to the horrifically bad habits I was in when I started developing this mod (and because I lost some of the old source files) I intend to split Prakasa into a current and legacy part download, with the Jalakag as the cutoff point. A few legacy pods will be updated into relative currency (probably Asima, Dhyana, and Naga) and added to the main file. Others will not generally be supported going forward. Given that they're parts, however, they should work fine regardless of version. 
    • If anyone would like to mess with any of the legacy parts themselves, I'm more than happy to provide whatever source files I can dig up. 
  • RPM discontinuation overhaul: When I ran away making 9001 cockpits I wasn't counting on RPM being discontinued. Bringing the mod up to date now requires every single IVA panel (or full IVA depending on the presence of source files) to be completely rebuilt. As big as Prakasa is, that makes for a very long and arduous process.
    • I intend to perform it on all non-legacy pods, but won't promise it on the legacies. I'm not sure how involved it will ultimately be, but given parttools has updated several times since a few of these parts and most of their unity projects are lost to history, I suspect I'll have to completely re-compile most everything being brought up to date both interior and exterior 
    • Again, if anyone would like to build IVAs for either supported or legacy cockpits, I would gladly provide source files / generally be much obliged. 
  • I may split the supported parts into separately packaged individual downloads so people who don't want every part aren't burdened with Prakasa's irresponsible size. Engines and utilities will be kept together, but cockpits will be separate from that package and from each other.  
    • I'm not married to this idea. Let me know if you'd rather I keep everything together. 
  • Obsolete components
    • I don't consider Prakasa's fuel tanks to be necessary any longer since the stock parts were overhauled, with the notable exception of xenon-bearing varieties. As such I don't plan to support them.
  • Paint
    • Access to substance painter has proven both incredibly useful and dangerously addictive. Supported parts will probably be repainted and may gain livery swap support. 
    • I have yet to come up with substance painter smart materials that are as stockalike as I'd prefer. If anyone has any they don't mind sharing, I'd really appreciate them.

Thanks guys. 

Edited by Balto-the-Wolf-Dog

14 hours ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

RPM discontinuation overhaul: When I ran away making 9001 cockpits I wasn't counting on RPM being discontinued. Bringing the mod up to date now requires every single IVA panel (or full IVA depending on the presence of source files) to be completely rebuilt. As big as Prakasa is, that makes for a very long and arduous process.

Given that MoarDV had licensed RPM under the GPLv3., is feasible that it can be maintained by some interested party. I don't think that phasing out RPM is so critical as it appears. And since a lot of Add'ons currently rely on RPM, I think it's pretty unlikely that this Add'On would be just forgotten in time. 

On 7/26/2019 at 7:10 AM, Lisias said:

Given that MoarDV had licensed RPM under the GPLv3., is feasible that it can be maintained by some interested party. I don't think that phasing out RPM is so critical as it appears. And since a lot of Add'ons currently rely on RPM, I think it's pretty unlikely that this Add'On would be just forgotten in time. 

I won't panic too much about it, then. For now, everything going forward will be using the new one. I've found myself in need of a 1.875 airplane cockpit because frankly it's the first reasonable fuselage size we've had, so that's the next project

Good news! Today I bring not only WIP images, but actual in-engine WIP images. I've finally gotten around to setting unity back up and remembering how to prep models for export.

XBJXLXS.png

jxpKaUL.png

yCsjQ36.png

vFeNWec.png

Karaneva, Prakasa's first 1.875 pod. Props aren't cooperating just yet because I haven't quite worked out how to use MAS.

Karaneva aside, Asima's spiritual successor (a few posts above) is already textured inside and out, and I've heavily rebuilt Asima herself to bring her more in line with modern standards. It certainly feels good to be writing .mu's again; it's been a hot minute.

tOYvz9g.png

dRDTwKe.png

Edited by Balto-the-Wolf-Dog

Glad you haven't given up on this mod. I've used it a few times in the past and was always impressed with the level of detail you put into the IVA's. The exterior's are unique and pleasing as well.

Keep up the great work! 

Update: Panel spec map fixed to be more consistent (and not blow out reflections on the text inlayed in the panels, as only the wood inlay was supposed to be chromed). Learning to get substance painter spec exports to play nice with KSP shaders has been an adventure, but with a lot of experimentation I was able to hack them mostly into working today. The process still involves photoshop trial-and-error postprocessing though, so if anyone knows better export settings, please tell me. 

Also, the Asima successor from earlier in the thread has made it in game:

uJtTpYi.png

P5MeW6n.png

VmLRyWE.png

Since I'm also restoring Asima, Vahak will essentially be her upmarket sister.

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Brainpop14 said:

Does anyone know if this works in 1.8.1 yet? I certainly hope it's not dead now

*Should* work... just make sure you have any updated dependencies... such as RPM Adopted, and *not* the old RPM

• 1 year later...