How do you find your mods?

How do you find your mods?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find MOST of your mods?

• Forum
    • Curse
    • Kerbal Stuff
    • GitHub
    • CKAN
    • Other (please post)

I use whatever link provided by the Original topic of whatever mod I want (please Please PLEASE update your Original post with proper version support and files modders... I hate going to page 179 to find the "updated, good working file")
Given the choice, I will always pick Kerbal Stuff just because I find the layout pleasing and easy to use.

I generally find mods from the forum - even if I start with Google, I come to the forum to learn more before downloading. I do occasionally cruise Curse Forge, and Kerbal Stuff (less often because I don't care for the layout), I like downloading from github if the forum sends me there but honestly I don't know how to find stuff there without a link.

27 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

I use whatever link provided by the Original topic of whatever mod I want (please Please PLEASE update your Original post with proper version support and files modders... I hate going to page 179 to find the "updated, good working file")

This, because I trust the author to point me to the current version every time and not all authors use the same distribution source.

Over the years there's been a few good blogs suggesting "the best" KSP mods and it was one of those that got me using some of the early mods like NovaP, Damned Robotics, ErkleWarpClamp (a moment of silence for that one please).

I've discovered other mods by seeing people post cool looking craft on here and asking them what mods they're using or seeing the mod lists with interesting looking craft on KerbalX (yeah, bit biased towards that). KerbalStuff is also a great way for seeing what new mods have appeared, popular mods and also being able to see all the mods from a particular modder (not always easily done on the forums).
I actively avoid curse. 

As far as managing mods go, time is not something I have much of so I use CKAN to install and update them but I don't find CKAN is a good way of discovering new mods.    

I wrote a simple bash script to grep CKAN's console output for mods that are newly added since last time, so that works for me. I appreciate how it limits itself to things that are mature/stable enough to be packaged properly, so I don't have to worry as much about fiddling with files manually. And I love that with CKAN, installing a mod amounts to subscribing to notifications when updates are available; even limiting myself to stock mechanics and parts (as I do in one install but not another), there are just too many that I rely on at this point to monitor web sites or forum threads actively.

On the other hand, I did hear about Transfer Window Planner, Trajectories, Kerbal Flight Indicators, and NavHud all at once from Scott Manley's review of them (and I still have all of them installed). I'll be grateful for that video for quite some time to come.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.