You Know You're A Nerd When:

cubinator

I did a really nerdy thing today.

Context: I'm working on a career game, I'm using KER. I got a contract to rescue a Kerbal, she's in a circular orbit out past the Mun. I made a ship to rescue her, launched it, and then realized I'd forgotten the KER part. My tracking station is only level 1, so I couldn't make a maneuver node to intercept her. I could either go back to vehicle assembly and stick the part on, or I could figure out how to calculate the phase angle for an intercept. Guess which one I chose.

I managed to find a good explanation for it, in a paper helpfully titled "Maneuvering in Space". After maybe an hour total of googling, figuring out equations, calculating, googling some more, and calculating some more, I got an answer for my phase angle. I did the burn, crossed my fingers, and timewarped. It was pretty close! I managed to get the two ships close enough that they were within physics range, but not very slowly. Fortunately Kerbal jetpacks pack a lot of delta-V, so she got to the rescue craft just fine.

So, now I know about calculating orbital rendezvous!

You know when you are a nerd when you order 50 mission stickers and are hyped when they arived

You know when you are a nerd when you decide to start remembering things about shuttle missions. 

You know you are a nerd when you can say that Sts -27 was flown by Atlantis carrying a DOD classified mission and was the most damaged shuttle to land.

I memorized the Minecraft item code list, rather than have a cheat sheet. I can recognize ~1,000 magic: the gathering cards on sight and quote text, plus prices for a good portion of them. I can recreate 75% of the periodic table from memory (names/numbers, plus the first ~25 atomic masses). I play dungeons and dragons on Friday evenings, and have translated the rulebook into German so I can play during German class. Come at me.

On 5/12/2016 at 7:44 PM, adsii1970 said:

When you look at old science fiction novel covers from the 1940s and 1950s for inspiration...

I swear you have cameras in my house...

When you acquire a pair of polarised sunglasses and keep rotating your head side to side at various things to try and detect optical effects, muttering "...hidden worlds...."