Re-texturing Monoliths?

Hello! This is my first forum post. I was wondering if it would be possible to re-texture the monoliths in Kerbal Space Program to remove the Squad logo? It was kind of an immersion killer when I found a monolith on the moon for my first time, and I saw that it had a monkey's face on it. I'm a huge fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey and I always felt like KSP was trying to connect back to that movie, so It'd be great if someone could point me in the right direction of the texture file for the monolith so I can edit it? I'm kind of a noobie at creating mods, but I've re-textured things before in Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Thanks in Advance!

David Bowie

6a4b8.jpg

Using the Unity assets explorer (v1.5), I found the monolith's texture (or more correctly, it's a normal map (the monolith seems to lack a dedicated texture otherwise)) that is inside sharedassets0, called monolith00.tex.

perhaps try deleting the logo portion of the normal map and then scaling the 'clear' portions to cover the image (if you have the tools to make and convert the normal maps then do what you want). Then use the asset explorer to import the modified map back into the sharedassets bundle.

On 19/01/2016 at 4:55 AM, NecroBones said:

This would be so much easier if KSP had an overrides folder. Something for the wishlist? ;)

TextureReplacer can be used to override any stock texture found in gameassets, not just Kerbal spacesuits.

On 1/21/2016 at 8:40 PM, sumghai said:

TextureReplacer can be used to override any stock texture found in gameassets, not just Kerbal spacesuits.

Wait, does this mean I can just use Texture Replacer for this ? Or would I have to go through Unity Assets Explorer to find and modify the texture?

On 1/19/2016 at 1:30 AM, Ven said:

Using the Unity assets explorer (v1.5), I found the monolith's texture (or more correctly, it's a normal map (the monolith seems to lack a dedicated texture otherwise)) that is inside sharedassets0, called monolith00.tex.

perhaps try deleting the logo portion of the normal map and then scaling the 'clear' portions to cover the image (if you have the tools to make and convert the normal maps then do what you want). Then use the asset explorer to import the modified map back into the sharedassets bundle.

Where can I find sharedassets0? I'm looking through Squad's Game Data files and I can't find it anywhere. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Edit: Nevermind!! Found it, thanks for the help! :D

Edited by DavidBowie
Found what I was looking for.

58 minutes ago, DavidBowie said:

Wait, does this mean I can just use Texture Replacer for this ? Or would I have to go through Unity Assets Explorer to find and modify the texture?

50 minutes ago, DavidBowie said:

Where can I find sharedassets0? I'm looking through Squad's Game Data files and I can't find it anywhere. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Edit: Nevermind!! Found it, thanks for the help! :D

I would recommend using TextureReplacer over directly modifying the shareassets0 file - the former method allows your modifications to persist between game updates, whereas in the latter you're directly hacking deep into game assets (which will get undone as soon as you update/redownload the game).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.