My personal ideas and suggestions for KSP's future!

After making a series of rockets that where doomed with the jiggling disease when taking off, and placing 100 batteries in one tiny space. I watched as I played 50 hours without even coming into orbit.. 

I made a lot of crazy creations and, went trough a lot of beatifull and crazy moments. But after I lost the sense of progress in career mode, and none was there to share my funnt experiences, it made me quite dissapointed. 

There are a lot of mods, and a lot, a lot, of screenshots, guides, and videos. I sense that everyone would like to share their creations more than currently possible. 

The feature I want to see in future updates in KSP, to not let the game fade out, to give this game what it deserves: a multiplayer, but not the kind of suggestions i've seen before, because i feel that is a project to big, and isn't what the people want. I want to be able to share my landed rockets, and bases on outer planets, and around orbits. I want a big multiplayer game, but the only thing visible is what you share with you're friends: the basses, landed aircraft, and orbiting/landed rockets! possibly (1) you could share mods or buildings on planets, or community made scenario's; possibly (2) if things overlap you can choose whethere damage will occur or just to ignore it, or to slightly being able to change the place where it's standing.

People are still playing GTA San Andres, why? because of the multiplayer, and why are people still playing Skyrim after completing it so many times? that's the same answer for making KSP a game that will never (slowly as possible) go down in history! the modding community is already helping a big deal, and the fact that you have to learn this game before you can properly play it, really helps!

I made an account on this forum just to say this, because it saddend me that this game doesn't have multiplayer, and therefore doesn't get the attention it deserves.. that's my opinion atleast. 

I mean, you're airplane is awesome and al, but if none know about it, the creation becames less valuable for the creator. wich are we all in KSP! so please, make it you're next development plan, and it doesn't need to be big! 

I wish you the best of succes! 

and this is my personal opinion, critics would be apreciated!

and i'm not from netherlands/spain so English isn't my "home-language" so forgive the weird grammar or wrong spelled words that this topic may have contained :P

Edited by kerbandres

Hi, and welcome to the forums,

They are officially working on multiplayer now, but it is a very big job so there is no indication yet of when it will be ready.

There are threads on this forum that allow players to showcase their creations etc.  And, I believe, links to craft files etc can be shared and posted too.

You will find that this forum is full of friendly helpful people, so if you have any questions or need help with anything don't be afraid to ask.

4 hours ago, pandaman said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums,

They are officially working on multiplayer now, but it is a very big job so there is no indication yet of when it will be ready.

There are threads on this forum that allow players to showcase their creations etc.  And, I believe, links to craft files etc can be shared and posted too.

You will find that this forum is full of friendly helpful people, so if you have any questions or need help with anything don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks! I'm really exited for the multiplayer to come, I will probably tell al my friends.. 

And I know crafts can be shared, but I would love to be able to do that in-game, so you can like only sharing it with you're friends playing at the same time.

and is the jiggling disease a reference that many people would understand? :P

thanks for introducing me to the forums, I'l do more research on the development of the multiplayer.

If you want to share craft with your friends you can do that with a USB drive or email...

I am not at my computer at the moment to check exactly where things are, but if you look in the Kerbal Space Program folder on your computer you will find a folder called 'saves'.  Inside that is a folder for each different 'game' you have on the go and inside each of those is another that contains your ships.  Look in there to find the 'craft file' for particular ship you want and copy it onto a USB or attach it to an email and send it to your friends.

OK I may have got the exact details wrong, but I should have given you enough to find what you need. 

Edited by pandaman

The problem with multiplayer (either a 'regular' one, or the way you described) is that KSP players tend to tailor their game to their liking trough mods, so a 'match' will either needs much organizing, ot it will have compatibility issues.

The other thing is that a computer's resources are finite, and I prefer to use mine for -my- crafts and stuff. That doesn't mean I don't awe at the creations of others, but screenshots and albums and videos are prefered in my eye than craft files or actual saves.

BTW... Did you check the Challenges section on the forum? Even the most common tasks qualify as 'multiplayer' in my book, but there are ones that's pretty close to the general meaning of the word. The guys in Top Gun AI build combat planes that fight each other in a tournament-like fashion. The videos are great. But the more conventional challenges are fun too - not just doing them, but checking how others approached certain tasks.

All and all, I feel KSP multiplayer is there. It's not real-time, and it's not integrated into the game. It happens here on the forum. That doesn't make it less awesome.

7 hours ago, kerbandres said:

Thanks! I'm really exited for the multiplayer to come, I will probably tell al my friends.. 

I wouldn't hold your breath too deeply. Its been quite a while since i have heard the devs specifically mention multiplayer (and i think it may be on the do not suggest list - i'll have to check if we even still have one) and although im positive it will come, it could be quite some time (years perharps) before it actually shows up. But as evanitis has said theres alot of problems surrounding multiplayer that might prevent it from coming to fruition. 

In the meantime, if you haven't already check out Scott Manley's videos on youtube, and you'll be orbiting in no time, and may even end up with 1000 hours before you know it.

Edited by DrMarlboro

16 hours ago, DrMarlboro said:

I wouldn't hold your breath too deeply. Its been quite a while since i have heard the devs specifically mention multiplayer (and i think it may be on the do not suggest list - i'll have to check if we even still have one) and although im positive it will come, it could be quite some time (years perharps) before it actually shows up. But as evanitis has said theres alot of problems surrounding multiplayer that might prevent it from coming to fruition. 

In the meantime, if you haven't already check out Scott Manley's videos on youtube, and you'll be orbiting in no time, and may even end up with 1000 hours before you know it.

I agree, that's why I suggest an (hopefully) easier or more personal manner to share our aircrafts/rockets together (landed and such), so that it is not too much work to make, I hope that the developers consider it. 

I would appreciate the developers clarify the plans they have (or not) for multiplayer. 

17 hours ago, Evanitis said:

The problem with multiplayer (either a 'regular' one, or the way you described) is that KSP players tend to tailor their game to their liking trough mods, so a 'match' will either needs much organizing, ot it will have compatibility issues.

-

All and all, I feel KSP multiplayer is there. It's not real-time, and it's not integrated into the game. It happens here on the forum. That doesn't make it less awesome.

Beautifully said the last sentence :)

But I'm not really sure that the mods KSP players install would be a big issue for multiplayer, if you do have mods installed you could place you're modded gamedata folder somewhere else, or just organizing it with who you're going to play with. Maybe they could add that only the allowed mods wil be active or such ...

thanks for all the replies! I guess that my point is that I think it would be very awesome(or something like that) to just share your crafts while they're landed, stable orbiting etc. maybe this feature could be add as a mod too, like a little helper tool (like module manager).

And that it was 50 hours in the game without even making a stable orbit is a little bit exaggerated, because it where like 10 hours, and around 0.25 career mode ... 

1 hour ago, kerbandres said:

I think it would be very awesome(or something like that) to just share your crafts while they're landed, stable orbiting etc.

Well, nothing stops players to share their whole savegames the same way as .craft files can be shared. Alternatively, crafts, stations and whole installations can be hyperedited to coordinates provided by the player.

23 hours ago, Evanitis said:

Well, nothing stops players to share their whole savegames the same way as .craft files can be shared. Alternatively, crafts, stations and whole installations can be hyperedited to coordinates provided by the player.

Yeah, then the developers should ask modders to voluntarily help them to create it :P

Playing KSP at the same time would be great, but additional constraints will occur.

• What would we do if a player is landing something and do some exploration while all your ships are in interplanetary flight ? You basically have nothing to do.
  • On the same topic, how would we handle ship design ? For now, time is halted, so other players too ? And if it's not halted, would timewarp still allowed, that would make you miss a transfer window.
  • Last but not least, how would "revert" works ?

Multiplayer KSP may not be a technical problem, but a gameplay problem. It's not Minecraft or Skyrim,

As I'd like to play multiplayer, I don't know what "rules" should be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.