[WIP] [1.1/1.0.5] SDHI Strobe-O-Matic Warning Rotator Light

sumghai

Thanks.. If I didnt say already..its a great model and mod..really adds atmosphere.. Brightness is an issue yeah but as a whole its a really great mod :)

Most trains I drive or want to model has one in real life so its a very welcome part

On 15-2-2016 at 8:27 PM, sumghai said:

I'll look into tweaking the light intensity and range when I revisit this project in the future.

That would be terrific, for building a lighthouse. I once tweaked Aviation Lights and it was visible for several klicks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/02/2016 at 4:02 AM, Azimech said:

That would be terrific, for building a lighthouse. I once tweaked Aviation Lights and it was visible for several klicks.

I'd love to know what that tweak was: I'm using them for landing pad strobes and could do with better visibility.

• 3 weeks later...

well, here's a hacky way to get the light to stop spinning when you run out of EC...

Two anim clips. One set to auto-play + loop, this spins the light when it's on. dup the spinning mesh, this is the non-spinning version when off. Both of these are children of object that hosts toggle Anim. Toggle Anim that switches the scale between the spinning/non-spinning bits. When on, spinning bit is scaled up so visible and non-spinning is scaled to 0. when off, the other way around.

ModuleLight in the part config is linked to the toggleAnim... when light is on, spinning bit spins, light component on/off  animated as normal. when your run out of EC, ModuleLight automatically shuts off, and so switches visible mesh to the non-spinning bit.

Alternatively you can have a retracting spinny light, and just hide the spinning bit when the EC is depleted.

There's no spinup/down time, the switch has to be instantaneous; and the light always "stops" at the same spot. also spins at the same rate no matter the time warp (but I think ModuleAnimationGroup is the same). upside is it's easy... since you already got the assets, it'd take about 10 min to get it running in game.

Edited by nli2work

2 hours ago, Rigel Agar said:

sdhi? can i post this mod to the spacedock for you? or you are planning to post it in there.

Short Answer: No, please don't.

Long Answer: Technically speaking, the licence I'm using allows rehosting, but I personally don't like KerbalStuff, SpaceDock or any "community-run" hosts, and would prefer you NOT to repost my work there. I reserve the right to permanently refuse to provide support for anyone who downloads my add-ons from places other than GitHub and CurseForge.

Also, please call me sumghai. SDHI is just one of three in-game manufacturers/agencies I use for my add-ons.

1 hour ago, nli2work said:

well, here's a hacky way to get the light to stop spinning when you run out of EC...

Two anim clips. One set to auto-play + loop, this spins the light when it's on. dup the spinning mesh, this is the non-spinning version when off. Both of these are children of object that hosts toggle Anim. Toggle Anim that switches the scale between the spinning/non-spinning bits. When on, spinning bit is scaled up so visible and non-spinning is scaled to 0. when off, the other way around.

ModuleLight in the part config is linked to the toggleAnim... when light is on, spinning bit spins, light component on/off  animated as normal. when your run out of EC, ModuleLight automatically shuts off, and so switches visible mesh to the non-spinning bit.

Alternatively you can have a retracting spinny light, and just hide the spinning bit when the EC is depleted.

There's no spinup/down time, the switch has to be instantaneous; and the light always "stops" at the same spot. also spins at the same rate no matter the time warp (but I think ModuleAnimationGroup is the same). upside is it's easy... since you already got the assets, it'd take about 10 min to get it running in game.

A very hacky way indeed, but one worthy of further investigation. Thanks for the tip!

17 hours ago, sumghai said:

Short Answer: No, please don't.

Long Answer: Technically speaking, the licence I'm using allows rehosting, but I personally don't like KerbalStuff, SpaceDock or any "community-run" hosts, and would prefer you NOT to repost my work there. I reserve the right to permanently refuse to provide support for anyone who downloads my add-ons from places other than GitHub and CurseForge.

Also, please call me sumghai. SDHI is just one of three in-game manufacturers/agencies I use for my add-ons.

A very hacky way indeed, but one worthy of further investigation. Thanks for the tip!

ok sir thanks for your reply. im just questioning you if that happens to you,

some people tell that so be aware.

But nice mod though with siren mod

I can remember requesting such a mod several years ago.Thank you for creating it!

I don't consider that it keeps on working even when the power is depleted a big problem (on the contrary).

It probably isn't easy to realise but could you make the rotationspeed customisable? It's quite adequate for terrestrial vehicles where the main function is attracting the attention/warning bystanders for the vehicles. In space it rotates too fast for my liking. Half the speed would probably be more reasonable as it distracts too much i.m.h.o.

Nevertheless i will be one of my default mods from now on

Edit: I made my comments on the basis of the video. Using it in KSP made it clear that the rotation speed is perfect. I'm very exited with this mod. Wow, I wish i could have had this sooner!

Edited by TheCardinal

V1.0-Beta-2 is now available - see first post for download link

1.0-BETA-2 - 8 April 2016

---------------------------

Changes / Fixes:
 - Second (beta) release
 - Re-implemented toggling and looping behaviour using stock ModuleLight
 - Strobes now automatically shut off on ElectricCharge depletion

Bugs/Known Issues:
 - Strobe model center of origin and surface attachment behavior needs tweaking
 - Part search tags are missing

This updated beta is compatible with both KSP 1.0.5 and the 1.1 prerelease, so have fun!

(Special thanks for @nli2work for helping me get looped animations and automatic shutdown working with just ModuleLight)

• 2 weeks later...