Hyperloop

Spaceception

The Hyperloop project

The basic idea is that a Maglev, and vacuum tube came together to create Hyperloop.

Wait But Why (simple rundown): http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/hyperloop.html

Discovery news: http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/hyperloop-gets-rolling-with-ginormous-tubes-160115.htm

The two main competitors:

Hyperloop Technology's: http://hyperlooptech.com/

Hyperloop transportation technology's: http://hyperlooptransp.com/

What it could look like:

hyperloop-inflame-1200-80.jpg

Edited by Spaceception

39 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Relevant analysis

TL;DR interesting concept, but a lot of unresolved technical issues (lateral acceleration, safety, passenger capacity), and the cited costs look like they were pulled out of thin air.

Elon is infamous for pulling overly low costs out of his a**. He still gets pretty low, but not as low as he says.

47 minutes ago, fredinno said:

Elon is infamous for pulling overly low costs out of his a**. He still gets pretty low, but not as low as he says.

Yeah, and that's with relatively mature technology, which the Hyperloop concept isn't.

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2016 at 8:03 PM, Spaceception said:

... another one of Elon Musk's awesome ideas.

For sure it's cool stuff, but I have to tell you - the idea of this has been alive and cooking long before Musk was even born.

12 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

For sure it's cool stuff, but I have to tell you - the idea of this has been alive and cooking long before Musk was even born.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/86483255318302435/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/96757091965605129/

Btw: those red balls on the picture are a countermeasure against unpredicted disasters...

Sjeez that seems like a lot of acceleration! Maybe a Max Verstappen or Lewis Hamilton can handle such g's. But I doubt elderly people or children can take that without injuries. 

On 1/16/2016 at 9:31 PM, fredinno said:

This is another reason he isn't building it (besides being stretched thin enough already).  He could likely build the parts reasonably close to the budget.  Getting the land, the permits and the politics will cost at least an order of magnitude more.  There just isn't any way this is going to make more sense than aircraft/current (slow) rail.

The US rail system is quite efficient.  In many ways it is better than Europe's.  But nearly all it carries is bulk cargo, not passengers (presumably because the right of way is from the 19th century).  You would need entirely new railways, likely between cities that already have heavy commuting in exactly the directions you want to go (on the East Coast you will pretty much follow I-95, the most populated area most of the way.  I suspect the West Coast has similar issues.  In the mid-west, you are still going to want a 737).  Even worst, if you try to work within the old rail system (ignoring the curves you can't make with a hyperloop), you are probably disrupting absolutely critical coal deliveries (don't ask how many coal trains go from West Virginia to Washington DC every day).

There has been a good deal of talk here in New Jersey about a high-speed rail between Atlantic City (NJ) and Philadelphia (PA)... among other runs as well. I don't see how they'll fund it however, as things are already in a financial black hole here, especially Atlantic City... not to mention that Amtrak's Acela (which I've ridden numerous times) hits only a max of 90mph (over a very very short stretch of track) and they've many problems keeping them on the tracks. :rolleyes:

I think that by the end of 2014 could be completed the first track (city to city), with 6 years of development and 2 or 3 for construction.
I dont know much about all different approaches, but this seems fit for its purpose very nice and cheap enough (not sure why other companies did not took advantage of eddy currents way before):

They can even solve the curve accelerations issues just adding more aluminum in that side of the curve (so acceleration for the passengers always point down), the cost of aluminum is important, but no so much compared to the tube or other kind of alternatives.

16 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

There has been a good deal of talk here in New Jersey about a high-speed rail between Atlantic City (NJ) and Philadelphia (PA)... among other runs as well. I don't see how they'll fund it however, as things are already in a financial black hole here, especially Atlantic City... not to mention that Amtrak's Acela (which I've ridden numerous times) hits only a max of 90mph (over a very very short stretch of track) and they've many problems keeping them on the tracks. :rolleyes:

It does not seem like a source, also not sure what are the similarities with hyperloop..  more details please.

Edited by AngelLestat

CEO of Hyperloop One has wondered aloud if this technology could "solve some problems in Canada"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hyperloop-one-test-nevada-1.3577990

"And when we complete it, we're looking at the world right now to say, 'Where can we build this in a meaningful way?'" Lloyd says. "We're asking Canadians, 'Is there a problem we can solve in Canada? Is there a route we should be looking at?'

On 5/12/2016 at 3:25 AM, Sereneti said:

they have achived  a force of 2,5 g...

Doesn't seem too comfortable.

1G is more than enough.

On 5/12/2016 at 8:40 AM, wumpus said:

This is another reason he isn't building it (besides being stretched thin enough already).  He could likely build the parts reasonably close to the budget.  Getting the land, the permits and the politics will cost at least an order of magnitude more.  There just isn't any way this is going to make more sense than aircraft/current (slow) rail.

The US rail system is quite efficient.  In many ways it is better than Europe's.  But nearly all it carries is bulk cargo, not passengers (presumably because the right of way is from the 19th century).  You would need entirely new railways, likely between cities that already have heavy commuting in exactly the directions you want to go (on the East Coast you will pretty much follow I-95, the most populated area most of the way.  I suspect the West Coast has similar issues.  In the mid-west, you are still going to want a 737).  Even worst, if you try to work within the old rail system (ignoring the curves you can't make with a hyperloop), you are probably disrupting absolutely critical coal deliveries (don't ask how many coal trains go from West Virginia to Washington DC every day).

"He could likely build the parts reasonably close to the budget."

Doubtful. Pylons don't grow out of the ground.

" Getting the land, the permits and the politics will cost at least an order of magnitude more.  There just isn't any way this is going to make more sense than aircraft/current (slow) rail."

It could, in a post-oil world, where passenger planes need to be powered by ethanol (which is 1/2 the energy density of jet fuel) meaning building these kinds of ultra high speed rail across continents (and possibly eventually oceans), making hyperloop a lot more attractive as a replacement.

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/26883/could-most-commercial-jet-engines-today-run-on-ethanol-without-any-problems/26909

There's a time and place for everything.

It's not the time for Hyperloop to shine. Yet.

22 hours ago, AngelLestat said:

I think that by the end of 2014 could be completed the first track (city to city), with 6 years of development and 2 or 3 for construction.
I dont know much about all different approaches, but this seems fit for its purpose very nice and cheap enough (not sure why other companies did not took advantage of eddy currents way before):

They can even solve the curve accelerations issues just adding more aluminum in that side of the curve (so acceleration for the passengers always point down), the cost of aluminum is important, but no so much compared to the tube or other kind of alternatives.

It does not seem like a source, also not sure what are the similarities with hyperloop..  more details please.

"They can even solve the curve accelerations issues just adding more aluminum in that side of the curve (so acceleration for the passengers always point down), the cost of aluminum is important, but no so much compared to the tube or other kind of alternatives."

How would that help?

"I think that by the end of 2014 could be completed the first track (city to city), with 6 years of development and 2 or 3 for construction.
I dont know much about all different approaches, but this seems fit for its purpose very nice and cheap enough (not sure why other companies did not took advantage of eddy currents way before):"

Brother, it's 2016. And Elon doesn't have a time machine.

22 hours ago, justidutch said:

CEO of Hyperloop One has wondered aloud if this technology could "solve some problems in Canada"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hyperloop-one-test-nevada-1.3577990

Sure, a high speed rail across the Windsor-Montreal Corridor would be cool.

Would it be done? Probably not.

If hyperloop really is the "transportation method of the future" (a reasonably believable proposition), I have to wonder if anybody is trying to grab up the needed right of way.  Or if it was already grabbed (and horded/signed into perpetual disuse) for/against the subway/monorail/pneumatic tubes.

For how this plays out in the real world (for values of "real world" limited to US politics), I would suggest reading on how the Purple Line is doing (part of the Washington, DC metro [subway] system serving northern Virginia, including the main airport in and out of DC).  Don't even ask about the trolley in DC.

If the Chinese are still pre-building cities, then putting in hyperloops and other well designed rail systems would be a no-brainer.  Just be *very* careful who you subcontract them out to (true anywhere, but presumably the Chinese boom is too new for real track records in these things).

The video of the test ride is unremarkable. All I see is a sled on rails and a linear motor. Those things have been around for decades. They are nothing new.

I see no evacuated tube, or even levitation, two things that are crucial parts of this concept. Without them, this is just a train.

On 12/5/2016 at 4:29 AM, Spaceception said:

Really? Link?

Seriously? Is a logical step for faster trains. And yes is an old concept, the only thing new is that name.

There are two point of energy loses in a train that makes more difficult to go faster, the friction with the ground, and the friction with the air. Levitating is a way to deal with the ground friction problem (maglev are an old thing today, maybe they are still difficult and not mastered but they aren't new) and making vacuum with air friction (and supersonic related effects BTW)

Just now, kunok said:

Seriously? Is a logical step for faster trains. And yes is an old concept, the only thing new is that name.

There are two point of energy loses in a train that makes more difficult to go faster, the friction with the ground, and the friction with the air. Levitating is a way to deal with the ground friction problem (maglev are an old thing today, maybe they are still difficult and not mastered but they aren't new) and making vacuum with air friction (and supersonic related effects BTW)

Yes, seriously, I don't know everything. :)