Is this going to work?

The included link is the final stage of a Munnar mission.  The pic is of the CSM cockpit and the MEM, less it's lander bits.  The joint is a Clampotron, and CM is forward of the CP, so it should fall in the right direction, and the big heat shield should keep everybody okay.  Both modules have their own radial parachute, just in case the chute deployment breaks the clampotrons.  

But the question is will those clampotrons hold up on Kerbin reentry?

What you can do to be sure is to pop another heatshield on the top temporarily during design and use the offset tool to move it up and down and make sure everything is within its circumpherence....

ETk7sNo.jpg

I'm guessing that you are doing this as an Apollo recreation type of thing? It really not making much practical sense to bother with a CM to go to the Mun and back. 

18 hours ago, Foxster said:

What you can do to be sure is to pop another heatshield on the top temporarily during design and use the offset tool to move it up and down and make sure everything is within its circumpherence....

ETk7sNo.jpg

I'm guessing that you are doing this as an Apollo recreation type of thing? It really not making much practical sense to bother with a CM to go to the Mun and back. 

Sort of.  I'm also treating it as practice for trips to other planets. I've done the direct ascent from the Mun, back to Kerbin, now I'm going to try a Munar orbit rendvous.   I'm confident that the lander can will be in the shadow of the 2.5m heat shield.  I was responding to the The Optimist when they said I don't need said heat shield.  Although, now that I look at their name, I wonder if they weren't just messing with the new guy...

You have to enjoy docking to bother with it for many types of mission. It's usually much easier just to fly a craft (with multiple stages) to the destination and then use the last stages for landing and return. That obviously works best on the lower gravity destinations where there is not much dV required to get off the surface. For Eve you will almost certainly want something in orbit to dock with for the return but many other places you can manage without. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.