Target position at intersect one bugged?

So for some reason the 'target position at intersect 1' for an asteroid I'm going after is bugged outside of the asteroid's flight path, and it's making it extremely difficult to actually get an encounter under 5km. It does occasionally skip back and forth into the 10km range but the intersect distance is something I can handle. 

The mods I have that probably could be relevant to this problem are PreciseNode, Trajectories, Mechjeb and Kerbal Engineer Redux.

Here's a screenshot http://imgur.com/itUL8w6. Thanks in advance!

In my opinion you tried to intercept this asteroid too late. It's better to take it while still in interplanetary space.

Btw, due to the high speed of the asteroid, you'll not be able to reach a perfect encounter on the maneuver node, but you can tweak the distance while the encounter comes.

37 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

In my opinion you tried to intercept this asteroid too late. It's better to take it while still in interplanetary space.

Btw, due to the high speed of the asteroid, you'll not be able to reach a perfect encounter on the maneuver node, but you can tweak the distance while the encounter comes.

Thank you for your response, and you are definitely correct, I was too late. I did end up grabbing the asteroid, and I was able to get the initial intercept distance down to 10km despite the wobbliness. However it took an extra 100-150 dV trying to get the 10km down to just a few dozen meters before I used my RCS for fine tuning. 

One question though, by intercepting in interplanetary space do you mean I should leave Kerbin's SOI and intercept it, or plot an intercept course for when IT enters Kerbin's SOI?

2 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I meant grab it while the asteoid is still at 2/3 days to the Kerbin's SOI. You'll need a LOT of fuel to brake an asteroid and put it in a safe orbit, so, the sooner you grab it, soon you'll be able to tweak his trajectory.

Fair enough, thanks for your help! (I figured out that one skipper thruster with ~2500 dV quickly turned into ~150 dV when wrangling a class C asteroid. I had another stage with a low thrust high vac. Isp engine for the capture burn because I didn't expect the skipper stage to last that long. Needless to say it only had 19 dV :D)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.