Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

Welcome to the Real Space Program! A mission series dedicated to replicating real life launches with a real ground control team. Missions will be done based on who is available to man the launch control team. Missions will be replicated using a verity of mods for the launches. Payloads will be provided by the community.

The Real Space Program is an evolution of the previous Apollo Mission Recreation Program which failed due too many complications. The Real Space Program however is going to work on more easily completed tasks over the span of a couple hours (or less) rather than multiday missions. We will be primarily launching unmanned payloads, however when a crew is available and a mission requires one, then we may perform them as they come.

lSpzloh.png

(Logo By: ZooNamedGames, Redesign by (and who REALLY deserves the credit) adsii1970)

Ground Control Team:

Flight Director: @ZooNamedGames, Manages mission control, makes all major decisions.

Booster: @legoclone09, Responsible for all aspects of the launch vehicle not delegated to other people.

Flight Dynamics Officer (FIDO): @Mods_o_joy, Responsible for guidance of the launch vehicle along with any burns or maneuvers of the vehicle.

Tracking (Track): @the_pazter, Tracks payload during orbits Calls out AOS and LOS times if relevant.

Recovery (if applicable): @Findthepin1 , recovers the payload after a mission and plans retroburns for return.

Public Affairs officer (PAO): @CliftonM , livestreams the missions.

Payload Operations Officer: @Uace24, (Backup @Gaarst) , manages all aspect of onboard payload.

Launch Operations Director: @Jacob M., Runs countdown, pre-launch procedures and controls the rocket along with the launch pad up until launch.

LV Development Team: @Mad Rocket Scientist, @kmMango, @Joco223, @legoclone09 , develop the rockets used for our missions.

Graphics Designer: @adsii1970 @Florid Monkey, designs all artwork for the project.

Manned Division:

Flight Crew: @ , Flies mission, Hardware must be set up so port forwarding is possible.

Flight Activities Officer: @ILikeIke, Develops mission schedule and makes sure it's adhered to.

Electricity, Environment, and Consumables Management (EECOM): @ , Monitors consumption of consumables on capsule (esp RCS propellants, food, O2, water, electricity).

Capsule Communicator (Capcom): @nosirrbro, Communicates with spacecraft.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Comsat-1: Successful, 200x200.

9sABXxq.png?1

Independence 7:

uPQi0Ir.png

Ok7Ki7h.png

-

Scorpius-Solaris-2

Launch of the RSAT Probe!

At: 3:10pm EDT!

Link to livestreamer:

Primary Streaming Source:

http://www.twitch.tv/realspaceprogram

Secondary Streaming Sources:

http://www.twitch.tv/cliftonm

http://www.youtube.com/c/CliftonMarien

http://twitch.tv/ZooNamed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrRfGfA_7kI6i9OKAhL9lDg

---

Mod List:

(please note this can change at ANY time or vary by payload)

RealSolarSystem (RSS)

Realism Overhaul (RO) (and all it's dependencies)

Procedural Parts

Telemachus

TestFlight

Extended Action Groups

NEEDING NEW MISSION CONTROL MEMBERS!!!

Requirements to Join listed in the spoiler below!

Spoiler

In order to join, us we want you to have a few requirements so you can effective assist us. Real Space Program is entirely a group effort, therefore we need every member to contribute as best as possible. So here is a list of what you will need in order to join (role specifics listed below)(bullets in bold are required):

Non-Mission Control Requirements:

• Skype (primarily text portion, mobile app acceptable)
  • College Level Mathematics
  • Able to run a KSP save with Realism Overhaul (RO), Real Solar System (RSS) and all of their dependencies (as well as all mods listed above). Specifically able to make Launch Vehicles.
  • Knowledge for planning and coordinating
  • Knowledge to code within kOS.

Mission Control Role Requirements:

• Decent Microphone
  • Good internets speeds
  • Discord Chat Software (for Mission Control Discussions- during launch)
  • Able to attend launches (semi-regularly. We can make exceptions, but only if mentioned before a launch!)

Mission Control Role Specific Requirements:

• Port Forwarding (Astronaut/Booster)
  • Additional Programs (Various Roles)

If want to join the ground control team, please let me (ZooNamedGames) know in a private message or post on this thread so you can join! Please provide your Steam/Skype name in a Private Forum message upon requesting to join! I will private message you if you are accepted, and if you are, you will be accepted into a Steam/Skype group for the control team. Scheduling Document is available here.

If you would like to suggest a payload for us to launch, then please fill out this form ( https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ia2UgK7jqXPt0bT2_7xUsMm2HDljRQSl6GB6lFPkACI/viewform?usp=send_form ) so we can review your payload. Once we accept it, we will build a launch vehicle for you and contact you about a launch date. Please note- due to the fact we are still early in development, all provided payloads are delayed until we can get into a pattern of routine launches.

All missions will be done on a single save so that all crafts are in the same universe.

If you would like to see this program expand into a historical career mode, then please vote HERE. If we reach 1000 votes of YES, then I will begin work on creating one. This would involve realistic launches starting with sounding rockets and then evolving into satellites and eventually going to the moon using a real crew.

New thread here: 

Edited by ZooNamedGames

3 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Subbed.  And I'll take a look at building you a satellite, could I make it in a stock install? 

The satellite itself can be stock, but any onboard fuel has to be compatible with RealFuels. Aside from that, go wild.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

Heh, wanna try the thing again ? I'm in!

Though as there doesn't seem to be any FAO planned, I still have to settle on another role, depending on who from AMR come here to take back their roles.

Edit: since the forum change, the private messaging function allows to create conversations with several members, so it might be easier to use this feature to organise the beginnings before creating a dedicated Skype/Steam group: it will be more accessible for people interested than going to Steam...

Edited by Gaarst

26 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Heh, wanna try the thing again ? I'm in!

Though as there doesn't seem to be any FAO planned, I still have to settle on another role, depending on who from AMR come here to take back their roles.

Edit: since the forum change, the private messaging function allows to create conversations with several members, so it might be easier to use this feature to organise the beginnings before creating a dedicated Skype/Steam group: it will be more accessible for people interested than going to Steam...

Yeah, FAO got dropped since there's no crew and therefore no activies :/ , but I'm adding two new roles soon, Payload Officer and Launch Operations Officer (who will be running the save and providing us with Telemachus data). So you can choose from those.

I'll consider the PM idea but ultimately we will need to use one of the two on launch day. But prior to, sure, we can use the PM system. 

3 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Yeah, FAO got dropped since there's no crew and therefore no activies :/ , but I'm adding two new roles soon, Payload Officer and Launch Operations Officer (who will be running the save and providing us with Telemachus data). So you can choose from those.

I'll consider the PM idea but ultimately we will need to use one of the two on launch day. But prior to, sure, we can use the PM system. 

I don't know much about all the Telemachus stuff so I won't do the Launch Op Officer thing.

Also, what is the exact role of the Payload Officer other than making sure the payload is well strutted to the rocket ? Is it linked to NASA's Payload Operation Center ?

Edited by Gaarst

25 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

I don't know much about all the Telemachus stuff so I won't do the Launch Op Officer thing.

Also, what is the exact role of the Payload Officer other than making sure the payload is well strutted to the rocket ? Is it linked to NASA's Payload Operation Center ?

Sort of, the Payload Officer manages all aspects of the payload prior to and after launch and deployment. They will monitor power, condition, anything to do with the payload itself and it's mission.

I'm building my payload now. I think you'll all think it's a nice project to start.

EDIT: 20 parts is too much for you to launch? Heck no! If your computer can't handle 20 parts, you don't have any business running something like this.

EDIT: Looks like ANY amount of parts is too much, unless it's OVER the amount of parts you need.

Here's my payload. An SLS type rocket should be able to lift it to orbit without too much grief.

MFQMVyB.png

Edited by GregroxMun

6 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Define "decent mathematics".

You need to know algebra and such. Depends on your role, if your booster then a basic understanding of chemistry, astrophysics and such will be essential. 

In short, you need to know how to calculate for launch vehicle DVs, launch angle blah blah blah. At least 12th grade or first year of college skill levels, unless your a prodigy.

I don't want to sound agist, if you can do the math feel free to join. It's simply what you'll need. I don't care how old you are, or your education. I just want YOUR best :) .

It's okay I was just curious what I'd be getting myself into if I joined. I can build realistic craft in RSS/RO, but I don't deal with anymore numbers other then what MechJeb provides me:P That being said Id best be suited as a spectator.

Really hope you guys can pull this together I highly look forward to it. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

I'm building my payload now. I think you'll all think it's a nice project to start.

EDIT: 20 parts is too much for you to launch? Heck no! If your computer can't handle 20 parts, you don't have any business running something like this.

EDIT: Looks like ANY amount of parts is too much, unless it's OVER the amount of parts you need.

Here's my payload. An SLS type rocket should be able to lift it to orbit without too much grief.

MFQMVyB.png

I'll have to fix that, but your payload is accepted and will be processed! Thanks for giving us a starting job :) 

the limit is supposed to be 50 or more parts is too many, I guess it's setup for reverse.

1 hour ago, Motokid600 said:

It's okay I was just curious what I'd be getting myself into if I joined. I can build realistic craft in RSS/RO, but I don't deal with anymore numbers other then what MechJeb provides me:P That being said Id best be suited as a spectator.

Really hope you guys can pull this together I highly look forward to it. Best of luck.

Thanks man :) . You can watch from a video or live stream from the PAO.

10 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

but any onboard fuel has to be compatible with RealFuels.

Does the stock Ion engine with stock Xenon work in real fuels?

Edit  I never used real fuels before.

Edited by Dfthu

Here's the form data in text:

Spoiler

Payload Name:
NegGravSat1, or NGS1

Payload Provider (Your group name):
AMRSD

Payload Height:
2.6m

Payload Width:
.8m

Payload Weight:
0.3t

Payload Part Count:

Payload Size:
0.625, with some radial bits

Does your payload use mods?
No

Body Orbiting:
Earth

Desired Orbital Height:
150km by 1,000km

Desired Orbital Inclination:
0 degrees

Other Orbital Parameters:
Accuracy must be better than 2km, can be fine-tuned using less than 12 liters of available HTP.

Launch By Date:
Feb. 5th 2016, but I can be flexible.

What type of payload?
Science

Other Critical Information:
Solar panels must be deployed and and a Negative Gravioli scan at Ap and Pe must be both transmitted using onboard antenna and relayed to me (via forums) Batteries need to be full to fully transmit.
Payload length is 2.3m.

Payload Description:
NegGravSat1 is the first satellite in an exciting new scientific satellite constellation, equipped with a Negative Gravioli detector and a high-gain antenna, it will provide important information about the history of the universe, and where certain writers get their ideas.  This data can be used in many scientific fields, such as astrophysics, quantum research, and graphic novel writing.

KSP Forum Username:
Mad Rocket Scientist

.Craft File:
http://kerbalx.com/Mad_Rocket_Scientist/NegGravSat1

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

2 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

Is there any provision for a payload intended to be landed (or to be an impactor) rather than having a final destination in orbit?

Or is that simply some combination of requesting zero altitude plus clarification in the "Other orbital parameters" field?

We can work in if you want it to land/impact, but that might have to be listed under other.

2 hours ago, Dfthu said:

Does the stock Ion engine with stock Xenon work in real fuels?

Edit  I never used real fuels before.

No idea, but it uses xenon so it might.

29 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Here's the form data in text:

Reveal hidden contents

Payload Name:
NegGravSat1, or NGS1

Payload Provider (Your group name):
AMRSD

Payload Height:
2.6m

Payload Width:
.8m

Payload Weight:
0.3t

Payload Part Count:

Payload Size:
0.625, with some radial bits

Does your payload use mods?
No

Body Orbiting:
Earth

Desired Orbital Height:
120km by 1,000km

Desired Orbital Inclination:
0 degrees

Other Orbital Parameters:
Accuracy must be better than 2km, can be fine-tuned using less than 12 liters of available HTP.

Launch By Date:
Feb. 5th 2016, but I can be flexible.

What type of payload?
Science

Other Critical Information:
Solar panels must be deployed and and a Negative Gravioli scan at Ap and Pe must be both transmitted using onboard antenna and relayed to me (via forums) Batteries need to be full to fully transmit.
Payload length is 2.3m.

Payload Description:
NegGravSat1 is the first satellite in an exciting new scientific satellite constellation, equipped with a Negative Gravioli detector and a high-gain antenna, it will provide important information about the history of the universe, and where certain writers get their ideas.  This data can be used in many scientific fields, such as astrophysics, quantum research, and graphic novel writing.

KSP Forum Username:
Mad Rocket Scientist

.Craft File:
http://kerbalx.com/Mad_Rocket_Scientist/NegGravSat1

Noted! Added to the list.

I'd like to join ground control, I have a quality headset but lots of background noise :rolleyes:, I have a good internet speed (usually less than 40 ping in online games as well as 50 mbps), and I am not sure what math skills I would need but I could learn how to use a slide rule if needed (and/or get a Dv calculator).

Otherwise I can make payloads, I'll try to assemble a station or something similar.

Edited by legoclone09

8 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

I'd like to join ground control, I have a quality headset but lots of background noise :rolleyes:, I have a good internet speed (usually less than 40 ping in online games as well as 50 mbps), and I am not sure what math skills I would need but I could learn how to use a slide rule if needed (and/or get a Dv calculator).

Otherwise I can make payloads, I'll try to assemble a station or something similar.

It would be best to have you on as a mission control member. As to your internet and math, it looks like your the perfect candidate for the program! :) choose a role and join!

Payload submission form fixed. Please report any other issues you encounter.

3 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It would be best to have you on as a mission control member. As to your internet and math, it looks like your the perfect candidate for the program! :) choose a role and join!

I'm going to test submitting a payload, it will be called "PLEASE DELETE" since it's not a real payload.

I can confirm it works perfectly!

34 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Which job does what? If Booster means making the booster I'll do that!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.