Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

10 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

This is HARD!  I can't believe how much different it is from normal KSP. 
How will ascents be handled?  Will someone write a KOS script, or something else?

Isn't it? That's why I like using RSS- there's more of a challenge for me now.

I think that we will be flying ascents manually, but if someone knows how to write a KOS script that would also work. Last time we didn't have anyone who knew how to do that.

Also, it might make things a little easier if you figured out how to circularize after apogee. I haven't figured that out yet, but I think it would make my rockets smaller.

Lastly, don't be afraid to widen the core stages+booster, if you need to. I hate having a limited choice of engines, it makes things annoying.

6 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Isn't it? That's why I like using RSS- there's more of a challenge for me now.

I think that we will be flying ascents manually, but if someone knows how to write a KOS script that would also work. Last time we didn't have anyone who knew how to do that.

Also, it might make things a little easier if you figured out how to circularize after apogee. I haven't figured that out yet, but I think it would make my rockets smaller.

Lastly, don't be afraid to widen the core stages+booster, if you need to. I hate having a limited choice of engines, it makes things annoying.

Okay, I'll write up flying instructions.

I'm definitely going to need to widen it for the >40 ton lifters.  I may just have to give in and use KW rocketry's engines.

KW is really important, we don't really need FASA since it is all historical (except for the Gemini stuff). I use KW and RLA Stockalike for most of my launchers, RLA's Castors and KW's engines in general help. I usually use the H-1 or RS-27 with 4 Castors as a main stage, usually 3m diameter.

Hello.  I guess I'm back.  I'm definitely able to be PAO, but in some cases, I will not be able to have commentary, as I have a thing called family.  Since this is what I was able to do in the first place.  I CANNOT host a DMP server, because it has too much drain on my network, and screws up the stream.  I have Nightbot on my Twitch, so I'm able to do a lot of different things with chat, etc.  I might have some lag, but it is RO.  I also can't do any of the visuals.  I'm sorry, but 1.0.5 has caused a lot of memory issues for me.  I've learned kOS, so I could also write some scripts for it, too.  I'm going to have to have a minimal amount of mods.  ;.;

@ZooNamedGames Mentioning you so you see this...

Edited by Guest

Idea for mission broadcast:

we can use some sort of voice chat/skype service to put it in the background of the broadcast, so people can both hear what's going on, and make it more realistic.

BTW, good to see you again, @ZooNamedGames

Edited by Guest

I submitted my payload in the form. It's a 1.8 ton unmanned (duh) lander designed to touch down in a liquid lake on Titan. It's called Titan Ocean Drifting Laboratory Roving System, or TODLRS. I only named it that to make the control team sound funny XD. "Launch the TODLRS!"

Also, is the payload going to be traveling in real-time the whole way? I'd hate to be waiting here until the mid-2020s :P.

Also also, I noticed that the form only mentioned which object will the payload be orbiting. I take this to mean one of two things; the first being that the only option is to orbit something, the second being that the option for a flyby or landing was forgotten in the form. In either case, I'm not sure if my payload is eligible.

Edited by Findthepin1
We have arrived at the era in which people play KSP for us. XD

On January 23, 2016 at 0:45 AM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Hey, how do you feel about inclination?  Should I just launch from the cape and not worry about it?

Inclination is up to the payload specs but we'll pretty much launch from either the cape or Vandenberg AFB. 

13 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Ok.

Here's the latest image:

a57wpRt.png

This is HARD!  I can't believe how much different it is from normal KSP. 
How will ascents be handled?  Will someone write a KOS script, or something else?

It is hard, it's playing with realism! Took NASA nearly 20 years to get it right before man got into space.

to ease the difficulty I suggest using Kerbal Engineer to help with calculations.

as to the kOS aspect, I'd love to have a launch program, but it would have to be adaptive. So that if there's a failure, we can recover from it.

11 hours ago, CliftonM said:

E Hello.  I guess I'm back.  I'm definitely able to be PAO, but in some cases, I will not be able to have commentary, as I have a thing called family.  Since this is what I was able to do in the first place.  I CANNOT host a DMP server, because it has too much drain on my network, and screws up the stream.  I have Nightbot on my Twitch, so I'm able to do a lot of different things with chat, etc.  I might have some lag, but it is RO.  I also can't do any of the visuals.  I'm sorry, but 1.0.5 has caused a lot of memory issues for me.  I've learned kOS, so I could also write some scripts for it, too.  I'm going to have to have a minimal amount of mods.  ;.;

@ZooNamedGames Mentioning you so you see this...

It's alright, and I understand. We can find someone else to host the server. The only mods you NEED (imagine that's italics) are DMP and whatever beauty mods you can handle. 

I also agree, we'll use Skype or Steam (whatever the majority has), but since there's no crew the audio aspect will be much easier. I'd definately like to have a mission control team audio track.

9 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Idea for mission broadcast:

we can use some sort of voice chat/skype service to put it in the background of the broadcast, so people can both hear what's going on, and make it more realistic.

BTW, good to see you again, @ZooNamedGames

And nice to see you again too :) . Good to have the old team back in action!

7 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

I submitted my payload in the form. It's a 1.8 ton unmanned (duh) lander designed to touch down in a liquid lake on Titan. It's called Titan Ocean Drifting Laboratory Roving System, or TODLRS. I only named it that to make the control team sound funny XD. "Launch the TODLRS!"

Also, is the payload going to be traveling in real-time the whole way? I'd hate to be waiting here until the mid-2020s :P.

Also also, I noticed that the form only mentioned which object will the payload be orbiting. I take this to mean one of two things; the first being that the only option is to orbit something, the second being that the option for a flyby or landing was forgotten in the form. In either case, I'm not sure if my payload is eligible.

It is accepted, and you bring up a good question! Arrival times! We will be running the launch and deployment aspect in real time but your right, we can't be running a mission like yours in real time it would take far too long. So I have a fix-

you (the payload creator) can choose one of three options for arrival time. Real time all the way (1:1 time scale), scaled time (i.e., one day equals one in game week/month/year), or spontaneous arrival (basically time warp to destination)(less fun that way).

as to the landing aspect of the form, just fill the landing part out in the extra orbit details box.

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It's alright, and I understand. We can find someone else to host the server. The only mods you NEED (imagine that's italics) are DMP and whatever beauty mods you can handle. 

I also agree, we'll use Skype or Steam (whatever the majority has), but since there's no crew the audio aspect will be much easier. I'd definately like to have a mission control team audio track.

And nice to see you again too :) . Good to have the old team back in action!

Awesome.  I also agree that it's good to have the old team.  I think it's a good idea only having a few people.

9 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Inclination is up to the payload specs but we'll pretty much launch from either the cape or Vandenberg AFB. 

It is hard, it's playing with realism! Took NASA nearly 20 years to get it right before man got into space.

to ease the difficulty I suggest using Kerbal Engineer to help with calculations.

as to the kOS aspect, I'd love to have a launch program, but it would have to be adaptive. So that if there's a failure, we can recover from it.

Great!

I already have Kerbal Engineer installed, and mechjeb.

If someone wants to write a kOS script for my rocket, point them in my direction so I can describe the ascent profile and flight instructions.  Otherwise, you can use the user's guide I'm writing.

27 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Great!

I already have Kerbal Engineer installed, and mechjeb.

If someone wants to write a kOS script for my rocket, point them in my direction so I can describe the ascent profile and flight instructions.  Otherwise, you can use the user's guide I'm writing.

I asked in the RO thread about circularizing after apogee. You might be able to save on ∆V that way.

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

Also is your skype the same as here? I'll add you if it is.

In general, I think we should record these since we can run the game at 0.5x speed to ease the CPU and then fast forward it and add commentary.

I do not have Skype...  On the side of fast forwarding, I think we're better off just streaming it, because that's a lot of video that I'm not willing to spend the time editing and exporting.  That would be my job, as I am PAO.  Also, having it live gives it a more realistic effect. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.