Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

8 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Ok, but maybe you could use Linux of you aren't already so you ca run all of the mods.

I'm going to use a minimal amount.  I'm probably going to use my linux installation.  My plan for the setup is to use remote desktop with a linux install so I can run OBS on my MacBook while also grabbing audio from the KSP computer.  It's a bit complicated, but it should drastically reduce memory usage.

Update: Ubuntu isn't finding my monitor, so I'm going to just stay on OS X.  That'll handle it fine, anyway, as the most memory consuming thing is OBS, which will be running on my other computer.

@kmMango:

I haven't heard anything back from @Joco223 yet. Joco223 has finished all the rockets, but he's just finishing the testing.

There are no tech limitations (besides everything being "real") as this will be in sandbox mode.

If you know KOS, do you think that you could write some scripts for Mad Rocket Scientist's lifters? If not, then could you make some upper stage variants for @legoclone09's lifters? I'm thinking that they should be the same diameter, but maybe with better TWR and less ∆V, etc.

Edited by Dman979

25 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

@kmMango:

I haven't heard anything back from @Joco223 yet. Joco223 has finished all the rockets, but he's just finishing the testing.

There are no tech limitations (besides everything being "real") as this will be in sandbox mode.

If you know KOS, do you think that you could write some scripts for Mad Rocket Scientist's lifters? If not, then could you make some upper stage variants for @legoclone09's lifters? I'm thinking that they should be the same diameter, but maybe with better TWR and less ∆V, etc.

I know some kOS, but I haven't done anything with it in RSS.  I try it out soon.

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

If not, then could you make some upper stage variants for @legoclone09's lifters? I'm thinking that they should be the same diameter, but maybe with better TWR and less ∆V, etc.

I haven't been able to start but will probably get it done fast, I usually have higher TWR upper stages as well, with a good amount of Dv. My first stage on my main lifter has 6 km/s of Dv after SRB sep, which is then added on to the 1,5 km/s of Dv from the SRBs and first stage at the same time. I usually use Smart A.S.S. for ascent, and I launch my own way each time and it works. I might be able to make a 'Heavy' variant of a lifter with 2 cores strapped to the side with fuel lines.

19 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I just wanted you all to know I have created new signature graphics for this project. They are available on the thread on the second page. Enjoy!

In my signature.

22 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I just wanted you all to know I have created new signature graphics for this project. They are available on the thread on the second page. Enjoy!

What about the launch vehicle development team?  If you can't do those, though, I can use my minimal skills.

6 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

In my signature.

Ha! Your signature is starting to look a lot like mine - very busy!

I've almost thought of starting a "banner thread" so that we can stuff more nifty stuff about us than will fit in a signature. Simply add your post to the thread, then make a link from your signature page to the post in the banner thread... What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Looks amazing!  Thanks!

Thank you. I think the more simplistic look of this design is actually better than what we did for the Apollo Missions Recreation images. Don't get me wrong, they still rocked, but sometimes less is more.

@ZooNamedGames, @Dman979 A couple questions about the 40t lifter:
The second stage has only 2 engine starts, leaving only only one after getting into orbit--is this okay?
The second stage only has batteries for 1 day, 20 minutes of flight time--I'll make a solar pack, but it has to fit into the fairing, subtracting from the payload weight and mass--is that okay?
During ascent, two of the engines need to throttled by hand, by right-clicking on them.  It's not very hard, and doesn't need to be very precisely timed or anything--is that okay?
Is a engine out capability needed?
It can just make it into a elliptical orbit orbit with a 40.02 ton payload--is that okay?
How large should the fairing be able to be?
What failure mod are you using?  I want to test my lifter with it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

4 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

The second stage has only 2 engine starts, leaving only only one after getting into orbit--is this okay?
The second stage only has batteries for 1 day, 20 minutes of flight time--I'll make a solar pack, but it has to fit into the fairing, subtracting from the payload weight and mass--is that okay?
During ascent, two of the engines need to throttled by hand, by right-clicking on them.  It's not very hard, and doesn't need to be very precisely timed or anything--is that okay?
It can just make it into a elliptical orbit orbit with a 40.02 ton payload--is that okay?

Try using RL-10s or RL-60s, the RL-10 has 10 ignitions I think, and the RL-60 has a lot more ignitions.

Edited by legoclone09

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Two starts total is fine.

I doubt that you will need to make a solar pack. The payload should be able to operate autonomously, and will nominally decouple from the second stage after the orbital insertion.

That's fine.

Engine out capability is not needed, but would be a bonus for extra-valuable payloads. Don't knock yourself out on this one.

That's perfect.

The fairing doesn't matter too much. We can add an adapter if needed, at the expense of some payload.

I do not know which failure mod we'll use. Ask @ZooNamedGames.

Thanks for helping!

I think TestFlight is good but all engines need to be supported, otherwise it isn't as fun. Also @adsii1970 maybe you can change the generic rocket to a Soyuz (lifter not payload), that would look awesome. Just personal preference.

Also @Mad Rocket Scientist maybe a pressure-fed or hypergolic upper stage engine(s), those work since whenin orbit the TWR isn't as important. Also adding some SRBs to the first stage adds some more payload capacity. 

Edited by legoclone09
added LOTS of stuff for Mad Rocket Scientist

@legoclone09: The only reason I used the rocket that I did was because it didn't have a lot of detail. The more detailed an image is, the worst it becomes when you shrinky-dink it. IN all practicality, I could do it, but when I shrink the image to be the size that most people need as a signature image (or as the size needed for a flag), it would not look as crisp as the above image.

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@legoclone09: The only reason I used the rocket that I did was because it didn't have a lot of detail. The more detailed an image is, the worst it becomes when you shrinky-dink it. IN all practicality, I could do it, but when I shrink the image to be the size that most people need as a signature image (or as the size needed for a flag), it would not look as crisp as the above image.

Ok, I might try out resizing it. I resized my current profile picture to 16x16 and it still resembled a cat somehow.

22 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Ok, I might try out resizing it. I resized my current profile picture to 16x16 and it still resembled a cat somehow.

You got lucky. When the new forum hit, it killed my old avatar (it was based on my flag I have used since .22). Besides, with the current image, it already has @ZooNamedGames approval the way it is. It is a generic rocket (almost 1950s sci-fi in appearance) and will work well with this project since my understanding is it will use a multi-national approach to create a realistic space program.

Let me see if I can find one (Soyuz) and play with it some...

nxWbANN.png?1

Here's the image, @legoclone09. I'm not too happy with it for the reason that when I made the image large enough to see some of the detail, it becomes the dominant feature of the image. If I make it proportional to the size of the original rocket, it almost disappears because of the black outlining.

Edited by adsii1970

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

You got lucky. When the new forum hit, it killed my old avatar (it was based on my flag I have used since .22). Besides, with the current image, it already has @ZooNamedGames approval the way it is. It is a generic rocket (almost 1950s sci-fi in appearance) and will work well with this project since my understanding is it will use a multi-national approach to create a realistic space program.

Let me see if I can find one (Soyuz) and play with it some...

Ok, I was also thinking maybe a background image for each job? Like a rocket with a wrench on it for LV Engineer or a microphone, like this, for the PAO, if it is easy to do.

Edited by legoclone09

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.