Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

I did something like that before. While it is relatively easy to do (as I could probably knock them all out in thirty minutes), I am hesitant to do so. If you look at the set of graphics I created for the Apollo Missions Recreation Program, I put a lot of work into those. Now do not get me wrong, I do not mind doing the images and actually find it challenging, but I do not want to do that kind of investment again simply to have the program not even make one successful launch. 

With that said, I will say this - if this group actually launches and completes a mission - JUST ONE - I will create a set of "veteran" graphics that will blow your socks off... if you wear them!

16 hours ago, Dman979 said:

[...]

Thanks for helping!

Thanks!  And you're welcome.

16 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

I think TestFlight is good but all engines need to be supported, otherwise it isn't as fun. Also @adsii1970 maybe you can change the generic rocket to a Soyuz (lifter not payload), that would look awesome. Just personal preference.

Also @Mad Rocket Scientist maybe a pressure-fed or hypergolic upper stage engine(s), those work since whenin orbit the TWR isn't as important. Also adding some SRBs to the first stage adds some more payload capacity. 

The J-2S I'm using doesn't need ullage burns, but it does run on Hydrolox.  And if I added another stage, my second stage wouldn't have enough TWR to get into orbit. 

11 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Thanks!  And you're welcome.

The J-2S I'm using doesn't need ullage burns, but it does run on Hydrolox.  And if I added another stage, my second stage wouldn't have enough TWR to get into orbit. 

You might want to move to a kerolox or UDMH upper stage, maybe the Proton upper stage engines? Six of those should do the job.

7 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

You might want to move to a kerolox or UDMH upper stage, maybe the Proton upper stage engines? Six of those should do the job.

I've also been thinking about a cluster of mvacs for an upper stage.  I'm going to post the craft file and see what people think of it first, though.

5 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I've also been thinking about a cluster of mvacs for an upper stage.  I'm going to post the craft file and see what people think of it first, though.

Ok, I'll be home later today so I might be able to test it.

I'm home now, so time to make lifters. I'll probably use some Merlin 1D Vacuums for the upper stage, or some RL-10A 3-3As. Or whatever the best one is, maybe the Methalox (Methane/Lqd. Oxygen) one.

Also please use kW/h for here since 1 EC is 1 kW/h and 1 EC/s is 1000 kW.

Edited by legoclone09
Fixed electric values

I made my 15t lifter, upper stage has only 1 ignition, and has six H1 Saturn I engines since I was too lazy to change them :P. It uses KW Rocketry for the H1s and RLA Stockalike for the SRBs, though. I can make the 1-5 ton lifters since I will need those in my main RO save, so I'll upload them also.

Craft file is on KerbalX: http://kerbalx.com/legoclone09/15-ton-lifter

EDIT: I got the 1 ton one up as well, it has a test satellite onboard as well. Works good as a communication network relay for LEO or MEO, maybe we can deploy about ten of them in orbit to have coverage?

Here is the 1T one: http://kerbalx.com/legoclone09/1T-LEO-lifter

Edited by legoclone09

Don't forget costs while building. We want cheap, reliable lifters- but especially make them fail safe.

Speaking of, we will be using Dangit, KerbalMechanics, KerbalLaunchFailures and that's all I can remember right now, but I remember anymore I'll let you know. But now you guys can run your vehicles through those mods and test them.

9 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

EDIT: I got the 1 ton one up as well, it has a test satellite onboard as well. Works good as a communication network relay for LEO or MEO, maybe we can deploy about ten of them in orbit to have coverage?

Here is the 1T one: http://kerbalx.com/legoclone09/1T-LEO-lifter

That's good, but you don't need to worry about the 1-10 tonne lifters. Joco223 did a great job on them.

15 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Don't forget costs while building. We want cheap, reliable lifters- but especially make them fail safe.

Speaking of, we will be using Dangit, KerbalMechanics, KerbalLaunchFailures and that's all I can remember right now, but I remember anymore I'll let you know. But now you guys can run your vehicles through those mods and test them.

I would suggest using KerbalMechanics and KerbalLaunchFailures instead of Dangit, since Dangit doesn't support procedural tanks and FAR.

8 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Alright fair enough.

I'll test my lifters with those two, then.

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

We should probably get a launch together soon so we don't lose interest from people.

I don't need to see it, don't worry about me.  I'd like to see it, but it's not a huge problem for me if I miss it.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I agree but we lack a launch team :/ there's no one to run the mission. Once we have one we can set a date.

Can you update the OP?  It would be good if you listed the people that are working on it, so people know that there's actually people working on it.

3 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Can you update the OP?  It would be good if you listed the people that are working on it, so people know that there's actually people working on it.

I think they have a launch team. Has this program successfully done anything so far?

EDIT: NVM they have no launch team. I checked the OP.

Edited by Findthepin1

8 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

I think they have a launch team. Has this program successfully done anything so far?

EDIT: NVM they have no launch team. I checked the OP.

I know, I'm on it.

I can provide a good manned orbiter/lander if needed. In stock KSP, it carries 4 crew, weighs 15.4 tons and has 2516.37m/s delta-v. I can also give more information about it upon being asked if you decide you can use this in the Real Space Program. :)

EDIT: It can be made lighter by taking off scientific equipment and some of the power equipment. There's also a somewhat lighter cargo version.

Edited by Findthepin1

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

I'm in favor of that. I can make a payload, and we can use @Joco223's booster.

I already made a little comsat + lifter, it's a little overbuilt though. Here's the KerbalX link: http://kerbalx.com/legoclone09/Comsat-1-+-Lifter

1 hour ago, Findthepin1 said:

I can provide a good manned orbiter/lander if needed. In stock KSP, it carries 4 crew, weighs 15.4 tons and has 2516.37m/s delta-v. I can also give more information about it upon being asked if you decide you can use this in the Real Space Program. :)

EDIT: It can be made lighter by taking off scientific equipment and some of the power equipment. There's also a somewhat lighter cargo version.

Yeah, the cargo one might be useful.

Edited by legoclone09

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.