Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

Just now, Sequinox said:

@Dman979 It used the obvious, RSS/RO. Proc. Parts, and Soviet Engines. Dropbox is being a little funny, so hold on with me during these technical difficulties.

If you have a KerbalX, upload it there.  It will auto detect the mods.

The download link is up. HC Orbital has taken all measures to assure that rocket failures are extremely unlikely.

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

Any way to upload to KerbalX? It has a mod list there.

I did try that once, but it didn't recognize 4 of the mods so I didn't wanna mess anything up.

Will my vehicle be used for the upcoming manned launch?

1 minute ago, Sequinox said:

The download link is up. HC Orbital has taken all measures to assure that rocket failures are extremely unlikely.

I did try that once, but it didn't recognize 4 of the mods so I didn't wanna mess anything up.

Will my vehicle be used for the upcoming manned launch?

Yes. It will be used for this manned launch.

1 hour ago, Sequinox said:

Say hello to...

Solaris I
A launch vehicle developed by HC Orbital

This rocket should get you to orbit with fuel to spare. If needed, 2nd stage fuel tanks can have lowered fuel levels.

Download

Wow! Looks good! Definitely capable of doing the Job. I might do some slight modifications to get it to my liking but nothing big.

4 minutes ago, MysteriousSteve said:

Wow! Looks good! Definitely capable of doing the Job. I might do some slight modifications to get it to my liking but nothing big.

Let me know what you want, and I'll modify it. The capsule now looks pretty different (but still recognizable) from the first gen. A lot lighter, too. No solar panels, less LS, etc.

Lots of mass savings.

Just now, Dman979 said:

Let me know what you want, and I'll modify it. The capsule now looks pretty different (but still recognizable) from the first gen. A lot lighter, too. No solar panels, less LS, etc.

Lots of mass savings.

Is that already in the Skype chat?

Ok. It's not done yet, but I will have it finished ASAP. We might also want to consider an automated launch program, so that we won't need to worry about getting to the proper orbit. Do you know if MechJeb will work, or how @EladDv's program is coming?

Just now, Dman979 said:

Ok. It's not done yet, but I will have it finished ASAP. We might also want to consider an automated launch program, so that we won't need to worry about getting to the proper orbit. Do you know if MechJeb will work, or how @EladDv's program is coming?

I don't trust MechJeb for stuff like that, I would much rather pilot the thing manually.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousSteve said:

I don't trust MechJeb for stuff like that, I would much rather pilot the thing manually.

Ok, then I will add a small orbital insertion package, with ~50 m/s of ∆V, to make sure we're in a 150-180 km orbit. Multiple restarts, hypergolic, and lightweight. Low TWR, too.

Just now, Dman979 said:

Ok, then I will add a small orbital insertion package, with ~50 m/s of ∆V, to make sure we're in a 150-180 km orbit. Multiple restarts, hypergolic, and lightweight. Low TWR, too.

We really shouldn't need it, I'm pretty good at this now, after flying over 150 missions in RO alone.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousSteve said:

We really shouldn't need it, I'm pretty good at this now, after flying over 150 missions in RO alone.

We can do testing, too.

4 minutes ago, MysteriousSteve said:

I found the source of our mass issues, try draining the water out of the capsule. :P

Fun.  Should we choose the starving/burning up in the atmosphere route, or the dying of thirst route?  :sticktongue:  I think if we drain some water we'll be fine though.

24 minutes ago, MysteriousSteve said:

I found the source of our mass issues, try draining the water out of the capsule. :P

I already drained most of it out. We have enough for 12 hours in all consumables now.
The LET was also over mass, so I switched it out for the FASA one and added an HTP semi-cone and decoupler for the chutes. It was down by about 200 kg there. And I got rid of the SM at the bottom- we didn't need a year of LS.

MARCH 21, 2016 12:06 EST
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

As the final bolts are welded into place, the Independence 7 Ground Assembly Team lets out a wild cheer. Says one excited kerbal, "!Atidlam otnujnoc le odot ne Nk 5 ed sonem! Yay-yak-eippiy!"
The team has worked hard to get to this point. The capsule was originally overweight, but after some double-checking with the Life Support, Electrical, retro-burn, and Booster specs, they were able to cut the capsule's integrated mass to less than 2,700 kg, from an initial mass of 3,700 kg.
In the midst of the celebration, a technician remembers that they forgot to add the flight computer to the capsule! It's not a big worry, though, because like everything else here it's attached with duct tape.
There were some problems along the way. When asked about the issues, Wernher Von Kerman said, "Well, they [the booster and capsule] didn’t line up right at first-like, the booster was ~10 meters off to the side- and when I tried to offset it back, it wound up in the ceiling. We were able to get it back to it's proper position, but there might still be some random torque caused by a slightly offset engine. Nothing major, though, and I'm sure that our BadS pilot will be able to handle it. If you'll excuse me, I need to take some of that hydrazine for my office while I write an S-covering memo."

As of this time, everything on the hardware end looks GO for launch.

-- Chuck Kerman
Vehicle Assembly Building
Kerbal Space Center
Earth

Edited by Dman979

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

MARCH 21, 2016 12:06 EST
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

As the final bolts are welded into place, the Independence 7 Ground Assembly Team lets out a wild cheer. Says one excited kerbal, "!Atidlam otnujnoc le odot ne Nk 5 ed sonem! Yay-yak-eippiy!"
The team has worked hard to get to this point. The capsule was originally overweight, but after some double-checking with the Life Support, Electrical, retro-burn, and Booster specs, they were able to cut the capsule's integrated mass to less than 2,700 kg, from an initial mass of 3,700 kg.
In the midst of the celebration, a technician remembers that they forgot to add the flight computer to the capsule! It's not a big worry, though, because like everything else here it's attached with duct tape.
There were some problems along the way. When asked about the issues, Wernher Von Kerman said, "Well, they [the booster and capsule] didn’t line up right at first-like, the booster was ~10 meters off to the side- and when I tried to offset it back, it wound up in the ceiling. We were able to get it back to it's proper position, but there might still be some random torque caused by a slightly offset engine. Nothing major, though, and I'm sure that our BadS pilot will be able to handle it. If you'll excuse me, I need to take some of that hydrazine for my office while I write an S-covering memo."

As of this time, everything on the hardware end looks GO for launch.

-- Chuck Kerman
Vehicle Assembly Building
Kerbal Space Center
Earth

I feel like this might be edging on role play, but it's pretty cool regardless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.