[WIP][1.0.5][Beta 0.1.6] N.A.N.A Wildfire

kimiko

N.A.N.A Wildfire - Production Thread

Screenshot_2016_01_18_03_23_22.jpg

The intermediate step between "safe" and "kaboom".

WARNING: THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS: THINGS MAY ACTUALLY CATCH FIRE!

Find any bugs, got ideas, got any suggestions or want to help improve the code? Please let me know!

This mod adds pseudo fire hazards to the game. Originally created for another mod, but turned standalone.

Overheating, bumping into things, crashing and other reckless activities may cause fire to break out in the subjected part. A fire will cause the part to gradually overheat, giving only a few seconds until it disintegrates. There is also a risk that a fire may spread to adjacent parts, leading to an (unfortunate) chain reaction.

No more "Oh, I didn't really need that part anyway..." You really need the Primary Buffer panel to stay attached for the whole re-entry sequence! It may cause a leak, or a short-circuit, or general spontaneous combustion.

This add-on attempts to introduce less randomness in how failure (fires) occurs, thus a fire will never occur at total random, but can only be caused by something. This will hopefully encourage players to take proactive steps in order to reduce the chance of critical failure, as well as encouraging safe flying (who am I kidding?).

As commander of your sheep, you may want to herd your crew to the pre-installed escape pods when you find the ship on fire and burning from enemy attacks. A LES is also recommended for launch. If you play with a life-support add-on, you may also want to pack potatoes and your stillsuit, in case your craft goes down on Duna...

Incidentally, the add-on also comes included with a fire extinguisher system.

Package contents and instructions:

• 1x Automatic fire extinguisher part (Monopropellant tank clone under Utilities). Attach it anywhere on your vessel. When activated, it will automatically try to douse fires at the cost of liquid CO2 and electric charge when a fire occurs. It can be kept activated at all time, but will only be used during a fire. Having it activated will cost a small amount of electric charge.
  • 1x Automatic fire alarm (Pre-installed in every cockpit).
  • 1x Right-click risk and fire potency info menu. Indicates fire risk level and fire potency for the selected part.
  • 1x Various fire hazards.
  • 1x Water sprinkler with built in sparkler (2 in 1! For performance!). It's a stage-able part in the Utility section (linear RCS clone) when activated, it will start up an give you 5 beeps, and a long beep at the end indicating it's ready. When ready, it will give you a few seconds of halved risk factor for every part! Note: It will only work when landed, and you have to launch before it stops to reap the benefits. Attach it to the launch clamps for realism! Check out how water sound suppression systems (sprinkler) and Radial Outward Firing Initiators (sparklers) work in real life here, here, here and here (NEW in 0.1.3).
  • 1x Fire hose. Mount on a fire truck and point it at a part on fire to cool it down (NEW in 0.1.6).

More details:

Spoiler

When a part is on fire it will gradually overheat based on its contents. Connected fuel and fuel in the part will drain to feed the fire. Electric charge is also drain by a small amount because of short-circuiting. All parts may catch fire, as well as parts that doesn't "realistically" catch fire are also subjected. However the chance is significantly reduced compared to other parts, and are considered "overheating" as all parts can carry Electric Charge (sparks and smoke only).

[Igniting events] A part may catch fire when:

• ...the temperature of a part reaches 70+%.
  • ...a connected part is on fire.
  • ...a part collides with another object and rotates it out of its original orientation.
  • ...a connected part explodes.
  • ...a part takes exhaust damage from an engine.
  • ...a part flexes too much from its connected part. I.e. Wobbliness, bending (NEW in 0.1.3). // Depreciated for crash tolerance

Whether or not a part will catch fire at either event mentioned above is dependent on type of part and its contents. At its current state it takes into consider [Risk factors]:

• Vacuum and atmosphere (on Kerbin for now).
  • Resources (fuel etc.). Liquid fuel, monopropellant, electric charge and solid fuel.
  • Part type: Engines and crew compartment parts.
  • Connected fuel containers.
  • Explosions, crash velocity etc.
  • The mod also tries to calculate where fuel lines between parts are connected. Fuel lines have an increased risk factor when fuel is on board.
  • G-forces.
  • Dynamic pressure.

Whenever an igniting events occur on a part, a random number is generated between 0 and 100. If the number is bellow the risk factor of the subjected part a fire will occur.

Consequently, the mod also considers situations when a fire is doused:

• When submerging a part in water may douse a fire.
  • When in vacuum there is a high chance a fire may douse as long as the part does not contain any oxidising materials.
  • When not carrying flammable materials or oxidisers will increase the chance of fire going out.
  • When the automatic fire extinguisher is active.
  • There is a tiny chance a fire may douse itself.

Parts with decouplers are immune to connected explosions. Parts with heat-shield does not catch fire. Fuel lines and struts are excluded.

Required add-ons:

Please delete the old install before installing the new one.

Download Here

Or at Spacedock

Change log:

Spoiler
  • Beta v. 0.1: Initial Release
  • Beta v. 0.1.1: Command Chair workaround (thanks for letting me know FungusForge), fixed null ref problem in VAB/SPH, Fuel Line prediction disabled until it is working properly.
  • Beta v. 0.1.2: - Fuel Lines re-introduced with all stock fuels (except argon gass): cross-feed sensitive. - Physic-less parts excluded. - Base risk factor decreased. - Igniter risk factors are now multipliers. - Decreased electric charge cost for active fire alarm. - Decoupler included: May also decouple when on fire. - RTG, Fuel Cell, ISRU, MysteryGoo TM included: MysteryGoo TM has a random risk factor. Why? It's a mystery! - Fuel and electric charge depletes when on fire. - Increased burning time, for more suspense. - New igniter event: Splash Damage. - Asteroids are no longer in the exclusion list: By request: For testing purposes.
  • Beta v. 0.1.3:
    - Fixed Panic Alarm Handler.
    - Lowered risk of certain fuels.
    - Fixed dousing events.
    - Updated cfg-file.
    - Added structural hazards.
    - Sprinkler/sparkler system added.
    - Battery risk factor increased.
    - Various fixes.
  • Beta v. 0.1.4:-Splash damage fixed.
    -G-force risk added.
    -Dynamic Pressure risk added.
    -Fixed threshold and volume for structural hazards (creaking sounds should be less frequent, and have lower volume).
    -Added upper limit for structural hazards. Doesn't react to unreasonably high bending when decoupling and loading.
  • Beta v. 0.1.5: - Various fixes
    - Collisions are depreciated for structural hazards (Practically works about the same way).
    - Wheels are excluded from structural hazards (Because they are wheels).
    - Increased threshold for structural hazard sounds, and now have variable pitch. I.e. should sound less, and be less annoying!
  • Beta v 0.1.6 - Major update
    • Re-made the risk/fire potency system to more mimic reality - in addition to a risk level, which will determine the chance of having a fire, there is now a potency level which will determine how fierce the fire is and how hard it is to extinguish. Fires and risk are now more dependent on what you're doing and which type of part you use. G-forces, dynamic pressure, etc, plays a more significant role now.
    • Engines risk level and potency depends on how much you throttle them.
    • Parachutes, fairings along with decouplers may now engage when on fire.
    • ISRU, fule cells etc. will now have risk and potency depending on whether it's being used or not.
    • New fire effects.
    • New smoke effects.
    • New sound effects.
    • Made all important variables accessible through the config file (rename the txt file).
    • Replaced the "bending" detection system with regular crash-tolerance detection (this caused most incompatibility and bugs).
    • Fixed issue where the engine would catch fire instead of the part that it was firing at.
    • Added an experimental water-hose which can be mounted on a separate vessel, and will cool down whatever part its aimd at.
    • Added hard core mode. At a certain risk level (200 by default) there is a 50 percent (default) chance the part may catch fire. USI-LS, TAC-LS and Snacks are now supported, and will increase the chance of having a fire.
    • Fixed various bugs.
    • Various tweaks.
    • Various rebalancing.
    • Slight performance improvement
    • Fixed folder hierarchy in the zip file
    • Loosing a part will now almost certainly cause a fire (default)
    • Fire spreads more easily now (default)
    • Fire burns long now (default)

Compatibility and bugs:

NOTE: This add-on should be compatible with most add-ons, however it may not be integrated to use the functions of other add-ons, such as Kerbal Krash System and Destruction FX etc. (yet).

How to apply temp fixes and exclusions yourself:

Spoiler

The add-on uses Module Manager to apply the mod to all parts. Some parts, as mentioned above are already excluded (hard-coded) such as wheels, heat-shields, struts, fuel lines etc.

In the add-on folder for N.A.N.A. Wildfire, GameData/NANA/Wildfire/, there is a file called wildfire.cfg which can be opened and edited using notepad (or any other text editor).

At the top of the cfg file there should be a paragraph looking like this:

@PART[*]:FOR[Wildfire]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWildfire
	}
}

If an add-on conflicting with wildfire was known as ModuleBananamod, It can be excluded by adding :NEEDS[!ModuleBananamod] at the top.

@PART[*]:FOR[Wildfire]:NEEDS[!ModuleBananamod]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWildfire
	}
}

The name of the add-ons associated with a specific parts can often be found in CFG files of the specific add-on (note, some add-ons does not implement add-ons this way). In the Wildfire add-on it can be located within the "MODULE" bracket by the "name" variable, as seen above: "name = ModuleWildfire". This is the name that has to be inserted in the :NEEDS[!].

More info about how to edit the CFG file can be found here.

Considered features (may or may not come):

Spoiler
  • Gameplay balancing (More realism?).
  • Integration with other hazardous mods (need to ask for permissions first).
  • Pseudo weather hazards (when I can figure out how to make a toolbar interface).
  • Atmospheric and deep space hazards.
  • Crew skill based fire risk reduction (need to find a gameplay-friendly way to calculate the reduction).
  • Ground Control skill based fire risk reduction (encourage hiring random staff).
  • Douse fires by opening airlocks (For use with Life Support Mods).
  • Bubbles.
  • Dynamic extinguishing.
  • Dynamic variables

Buy me a coffee : D

btn_donate_LG.gif

License: All Rights Reserved

Source: https://github.com/henriksenjoakim/KSP-Wildfire

Edited by kimiko
Beta 0.1.6

Looks like it'll be Destruction FX with more pain and less smoking decouplers in orbit.

And a great pairing to Kerbal Krash System.

E: Huh. Drone craft was happy. (And I love the alarms and crackling. Well done there), tiny manned aircraft using Take Command spiked the RAM to infinity and beyond. Gonna investigate this, see if its Take Command, or USILS, Antenna Range or just Command chairs. Or some mystery culprit.

E-cont: Not Take Command. Take command will crash the game when the game attempts to put the kerbal in the seat, but it does not appear to be the root issue. Any attempt so far to seat a kerbal has proven to be game-breaking kraken bait. Gonna take on USILS next, it seems the next most likely since it does affect externally seat kerbals. I have doubts Antenna range would be at fault, but it too fiddles with kerbals. Chances are if pulling USILS doesn't fix the issue, its probably an issue with the mod itself, rather than some wonky conflict.

Edited by FungusForge

4 hours ago, FungusForge said:

Looks like it'll be Destruction FX with more pain and less smoking decouplers in orbit.

And a great pairing to Kerbal Krash System.

E: Huh. Drone craft was happy. (And I love the alarms and crackling. Well done there), tiny manned aircraft using Take Command spiked the RAM to infinity and beyond. Gonna investigate this, see if its Take Command, or USILS, Antenna Range or just Command chairs. Or some mystery culprit.

E-cont: Not Take Command. Take command will crash the game when the game attempts to put the kerbal in the seat, but it does not appear to be the root issue. Any attempt so far to seat a kerbal has proven to be game-breaking kraken bait. Gonna take on USILS next, it seems the next most likely since it does affect externally seat kerbals. I have doubts Antenna range would be at fault, but it too fiddles with kerbals. Chances are if pulling USILS doesn't fix the issue, its probably an issue with the mod itself, rather than some wonky conflict.

Thanks for the heads up! For some reason the command chair's inner workings is a mystery to me, but I managed to do a workaround. I also tested with Take Command and didn't encounter any glaring problems. : D

6 hours ago, Nightside said:

Wow, this sounds awesome, it also seems like it could combine with that new Kerbal Krash mod in very interesting ways. Looking forward to trying it, Thank you!

When can get the base mod working properly I'll be considering it! : D

6 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Ohhh, so does this mean if I reenter the atmosphere, things will actually burst into flames?

Yes indeed! : D There is also a chance for some nice cascading fire effect! Like fireworks : D

Wow, this mod has tons of potential. As previously stated, this and Kerbal Crash System would make for a great experience. Really enjoying these new mods coming out. I'm going to start with what I love, presented with a checklist.

No Random Fires
Fire Extinguisher
Awesome Thread Layout ✓
Martian Reference ✓
GitHub download ✘

Now GitHub download is pretty much the only thing I dislike, but that's no big deal.
Anyway, I have more!

Fuel sparklers and water-based sound suppression (timing based mini-game) for reducing fire risk on launch (for encouraging a proper countdowns).

I have suggested this before and now I'm very excited that this might become a thing. OP pls. Since words cannot express my excitement, this simple asterisk shall do. *

Decoupler risk, fuel cell risk, RTG risk.

Yes, please.

As you can tell, I'm excited for this mod. Very. OP, you're doing great work. Keep it up.

On 18/01/2016 at 5:15 PM, sashan said:

Yay, would it be possible to integrate this with BDarmory?
Also, do you consider what part is before setting it on fire? Structural girders, for example, should never catch fire.

19 hours ago, FungusForge said:

Well, BDA works by heating parts up to destroy them, so if a part isn't destroyed, but reaches the 70% threshold this mod has, it'll probably catch fire.

As @FungusForge said! Should work fine. Haven't tried though.

14 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Wow, this mod has tons of potential. As previously stated, this and Kerbal Crash System would make for a great experience. Really enjoying these new mods coming out. I'm going to start with what I love, presented with a checklist.

No Random Fires
Fire Extinguisher
Awesome Thread Layout ✓
Martian Reference ✓
GitHub download ✘

Now GitHub download is pretty much the only thing I dislike, but that's no big deal.
Anyway, I have more!

I have suggested this before and now I'm very excited that this might become a thing. OP pls. Since words cannot express my excitement, this simple asterisk shall do. *

Yes, please.

As you can tell, I'm excited for this mod. Very. OP, you're doing great work. Keep it up.

Thanks! : D Github is temporary while (hopfully) we can chase away the Zerg.

6 hours ago, Acea said:

@Azimech I guess you need to see this

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

Indeed, very interesting! Thank you!

I see you : 3

5 hours ago, colmo said:

Please tell me asteroids on re-entry will become fireballs :)

Just for you, I removed asteroids from the exclusion list. No idea if it will work, but please tell me if you find out : D

Beta v. 0.1.2 Now out! : D

Download link at the top of the page.

Changes:

- Fuel Lines re-introduced with all stock fuels (except argon gass): cross-feed sensitive.

- Physic-less parts excluded. - Base risk factor decreased. - Igniter risk factors are now multipliers.

- Decreased electric charge cost for active fire alarm. - Decoupler included: May also decouple when on fire.

- RTG, Fuel Cell, ISRU, MysteryGoo TM included: MysteryGoo TM has a random risk factor. Why? It's a mystery!

- Fuel and electric charge depletes when on fire.

- Increased burning time, for more suspense.

- New igniter event: Splash Damage.

- Asteroids are no longer in the exclusion list: By request: For testing purposes!

Edited by kimiko
notreadingwhatimtypingitseems

I have a suggestion if I may ... for my mod WW2 Warships I was planning on creating a fire modification using the stock ModuleCoreHeat. I asked RoverDude for documentation because changing values just creates seemingly illogical behaviour ... didn't get a reply.

Also I was planning to use Destruction FX and change it so producing smoke& fire would depend on part core heat.

I see potential in your mod, but at this time it doesn't work with mine. I'm wondering if you'd like to create the ability to edit a configuration file so people can change the parameters needed for starting a fire. Here's an old screenshot of my mod in action.

OQhFlDu.png

Seriously, awesome! I love how failure mods now appear (yes there were some before but two great mods in such a short time...wow!)

I don't really get what engine splah means (guess I'll find out while playing), but would it be possible to make parts catch fire when the flame of the engine touches them? It works in stock mostly, but only if the distance is short enough. So if the end of an engine flame touches a fueltank underneath it, it catches fire? Is that possible?

Thanks for this great mod!

44 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I have a suggestion if I may ... for my mod WW2 Warships I was planning on creating a fire modification using the stock ModuleCoreHeat. I asked RoverDude for documentation because changing values just creates seemingly illogical behaviour ... didn't get a reply.

Also I was planning to use Destruction FX and change it so producing smoke& fire would depend on part core heat.

I see potential in your mod, but at this time it doesn't work with mine. I'm wondering if you'd like to create the ability to edit a configuration file so people can change the parameters needed for starting a fire. Here's an old screenshot of my mod in action.

OQhFlDu.png

The code is quite rough at the moment, and I'm operating with a bazillion variables and I haven't fully control over everything myself, but It needs to stay that way until I'm sure I have rooted out some more bugs, or my finger is going to fall off from scrolling... However I plan to make it available in the config file when when things are more tested and sorted out : D

41 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Seriously, awesome! I love how failure mods now appear (yes there were some before but two great mods in such a short time...wow!)

I don't really get what engine splah means (guess I'll find out while playing), but would it be possible to make parts catch fire when the flame of the engine touches them? It works in stock mostly, but only if the distance is short enough. So if the end of an engine flame touches a fueltank underneath it, it catches fire? Is that possible?

Thanks for this great mod!

: D

Engine splash damage is exactly what you said! : D But it's tied to a random generator, so it won't happen all the time, unless it's full of fuel...

Edited by kimiko

1 hour ago, kimiko said:

MysteryGoo TM has a random risk factor. Why? It's a mystery!

Awesome. Will it only catch on fire if certain conditions are met? (eg: High above Duna, in atmo. of Laythe, or various other conditions) If not I think that would be a great idea.

2 hours ago, kimiko said:

Decreased electric charge cost for active fire alarm.

Thermal runaway of batteries is terrible thing, it can also occur in vacuum. Batteries should be flammable as hell, especially separate parts.

On 19/01/2016 at 11:21 PM, Sequinox said:

Awesome. Will it only catch on fire if certain conditions are met? (eg: High above Duna, in atmo. of Laythe, or various other conditions) If not I think that would be a great idea.

Sadly, it's not that great. It just have a varying risk factor xD For now..

On 19/01/2016 at 0:05 AM, sashan said:

Thermal runaway of batteries is terrible thing, it can also occur in vacuum. Batteries should be flammable as hell, especially separate parts.

It was referring to the consumption on the fire extinguisher system. Although I did buff the risk factor on the battery a bit! : D

BETA 0.1.3 Released

Download link at the top.

Changes:
- Fixed Panic Alarm Handler.
- Lowered risk of certain fuels.
- Fixed dousing events.
- Updated cfg-file.
- Added structural hazards.
- Sprinkler/sparkler system added.
- Battery risk factor increased.
- Various fixes.

10 hours ago, FungusForge said:

I would like to suggest removing the creaking sound, at least for the time being, because it plays at the slightest bump.

Noted!

15 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Wow, this mod is awesome. All it needs is custom models and textures.
I'll get pictures later. Imgur is being mean.

Yay! Pictures : D

16 hours ago, Sequinox said:

>Sprinkler system
>Sprinkler
>Sprink
>ler

That's it. I have has enough. I'm downloading this damn mod and no one can stop me!

Do it! : D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.