[WIP][1.0.5][Beta 0.1.6] N.A.N.A Wildfire

kimiko

8 hours ago, Bluejay0013 said:

What do you mean by stock weaponry? And if possible I can help, just tell me what data you need.

I was hoping for some I-beam missiles powered by sepatrons, I want to know if launching them will

A) Set the launching ship on fire

B) Set the enemy ship on fire.

1 hour ago, Andem said:

I was hoping for some I-beam missiles powered by sepatrons, I want to know if launching them will

A) Set the launching ship on fire

B) Set the enemy ship on fire.

A) They don't set your ship on fire seeing as they don't generate enough heat in a short amount of time.

B) And they pretty much run out of fuel or collide and explode before they could actually set things on fire.

Also, why make your own missiles when there is a great weapon mod already, just check out BD Armory. But I have a feeling you already know about it :P

On March 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Bluejay0013 said:

A) They don't set your ship on fire seeing as they don't generate enough heat in a short amount of time.

B) And they pretty much run out of fuel or collide and explode before they could actually set things on fire.

Also, why make your own missiles when there is a great weapon mod already, just check out BD Armory. But I have a feeling you already know about it :P

Thank you. BD Armory is a beautiful mod, but it doesn't allow for the customization that I love about KSP. In my experiance, designing and building is just as fun as launching it at your enemies. And that is why I have been planning up a mod to do just that :wink:!

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2016 at 7:27 AM, Azimech said:

This is the effect I get when I switch on "ignore max temperature" in the cheat menu. A much more realistic spread of fire, almost engulfing the ship after a while. Without it, everything just explodes until just a debris field is left.

ZpYrDpJ.png

I have a few suggestions, it could make your mod even more interesting, I would certainly promote it for use in WW2 Warships and make fire control a central part in future multiplayer gameplay.

* Instead of parts blowing up fairly quickly, which still isn't realistic when looking at steel beams or any part without a pressurized resource, there could be a max to the temperature increase (like it is in real life) and instead have a prolonged fire, depleting any part of any resource except a user defined one (for example my mod uses the resource water which increases when the hull takes damage, decreasing buoyancy). A KKS leak in a fuel tank could increase the risk of a fire with 100-1000%, the magnitude of the fire based on how large the leak is and the type of resource. Rockets are a different deal but airplane fuel tanks filled with kerosene usually just burn, tanks filled with avgas might explode when almost empty.

* The ability to render specific part modules in specific parts inoperable ...  a spotlight might burn, not explode but it won't be functional until repaired. Same would be interesting for BDA weapons manager, SAS etc.

* More configuration options would be terrific.  Another nice one would be options to set the ignition temperature at a different level, for simulating different materials. For example my hull plating uses a very high thermalMassModifier to simulate armor against BDA damage. But I'd like some parts to start burning at 20% instead of 70%.

* If at all possible, fire and smoke effects should be directed away from a planet surface if atmospheric pressure >0.

* I'd like the possibility to exempt exhaust damage from the system, I use my own method of fire suppressing: I use ModuleEngineFX with a negative exhaust heat value. That's right, a modified rocket engine with a cryogenic blast. The log still shows it as damage though.

* Bug report: using Hyperedit to teleport ships causes some parts to overheat and explode, other parts start burning.

It actually does consume resources when on fire, just not very much at the moment.

I think for making things inoperable and having repairing ability will require dedicated damage system, which is a bit of a long step considering the scope of the add-on (at the moment at least).

All major variables will be available through the config file for the next update.

Fire and smoke will go upwards in the next update.

Exempting ignition types will be available for the next update.

Bug is related to structural damage detection, and is fixed for the next update

On 14/02/2016 at 5:03 PM, Andem said:

I agree with @Azimech, The fires don't really spread very well. It would be better if the chance of spreading was way higher than it is now. I have tried to test it several times, and the fire puts itself out before any actual damage happens. That, and also ALL of the engines seem to spontaneously catch on fire when launching without the fire suppresion systems... I don't think a poodle and a fuel tank should just sppontaneously ignite on the launch pad... :wink:

Fires will be more sensitive to contents in the next update which should resolve the poor spreading.

The poodle exploding is due to the structural damage detection function (which is removed for the next update).

On 18/02/2016 at 9:43 PM, ThatOneBritishGuy... said:

I too agree with @Azimech and @Andem both.

With all of it?

On 20/02/2016 at 2:07 PM, Bluejay0013 said:

If Youre trying to use this mod with BD Armory, the n you will have a difficult time launching missiles as for some reason, the missiles launch but don't engage their engines. But guns and other stuff work fine just not missiles. 

Fixed in the next update.

On 25/02/2016 at 11:01 AM, BrutalRIP said:

Was just going to drop this in my bd armoury install its a shame they dont play nice together seams like a match made in heaven,just going to have to wait and hope it gets sorted

On 25/02/2016 at 1:56 PM, Bluejay0013 said:

yeah well hopefully the developer will find a way to fix this, as im using Wildfire, Kerbal Krash System, and BD for amazing results

On 06/03/2016 at 1:28 AM, Bluejay0013 said:

I've actually been thinking of cooking up some sort of firebomb for Sinking About, since it sort of goes well with this add-on... we'll see : p

On 17/03/2016 at 2:27 AM, Claw said:

@kimiko Wow, I love this concept. Nice job, and keep it up! :D

Yay! : D

The next update will (hopefully, but very likely) play nice with all other add-ons (at least with my add-on box).

It has updated visual and sound effects.

The structural damage detection has been replaced with stock crash tolerance (since this was the main culprit in causing add-on incomparability).

All major variables (almost everything) are available through the config file.

Risk factors are more dependent on the type of module the part has (e.g. engines are more risky the more you throttle them), as well as dynamic pressure and g-forces etc.

I've rewritten the whole risk/fire-effect system loosely based on the "fire triangle", (i.e. if one component is missing there will be no fire), although I have to re-test and re-balance the whole add-on again which is currently the biggest hurdle. I just need to find some time and motivation. : 3

I think it would be cool if this mod also showed the fire texture during reentry.

To expand upon that idea, I've always thought that both the look and sound of reentry is disappointing. When some sort of debris burns up in the atmosphere in Realism Overhaul, it always catches on fire first. I wish this was something that could happen during reentry.
I'm honestly surprised that no one has ever tried to make reentry sound better. Is that possible? Because right now reentry sounds like: *AGGRESSIVE BREATHING*

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Would it be at all possible for you to add the fire to the reentry sequence?

Edited by Sequinox

I need to alert the creator of this mod of a serious issue: This mod crashes my game every time I use it, thus I cannot use your mod. Also I have a question: If I have ignore max temperature on, will my stuff still catch on fire and explode when it overheats?

On 21/03/2016 at 2:46 AM, Sequinox said:

I think it would be cool if this mod also showed the fire texture during reentry.

To expand upon that idea, I've always thought that both the look and sound of reentry is disappointing. When some sort of debris burns up in the atmosphere in Realism Overhaul, it always catches on fire first. I wish this was something that could happen during reentry.
I'm honestly surprised that no one has ever tried to make reentry sound better. Is that possible? Because right now reentry sounds like: *AGGRESSIVE BREATHING*

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Would it be at all possible for you to add the fire to the reentry sequence?

Hmm animated textures of some sort huh? Not sure if that is even possible. Haven't seen anyone else doing it yet, but worth looking into nevertheless.

Aggressive breathing, lol. Darth Vader will not be pleased..

It's possible, though for some weird reason particle effects seems to behave strange at high altitudes and high speeds. Not exactly sure why yet, but if I can figure that out, decent fire trails during re-entry may be possible..

On 29/03/2016 at 11:00 PM, InfiniteAtom said:

I need to alert the creator of this mod of a serious issue: This mod crashes my game every time I use it, thus I cannot use your mod. Also I have a question: If I have ignore max temperature on, will my stuff still catch on fire and explode when it overheats?

Could you please elaborate on this?

I don't think it will explode if you ignore max temperature.

3 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Congrats @kimiko, this is pinned for Aprils TOTM :D

Whoa, didn't even know this was a thing. Thanks! : D

Now all of the sudden I feel a tingeing sensation of performance anxiety hahaha.

Better go finish up the next update fast! xD

2 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Congratulations @kimiko! :D You deserve it!

Yay! Thanks : D

The mod looks great. I haven't had the time to test it but I bet I will enjoy it.

I was wondering, do the explosion blasts in fuel tanks change in size accordingly to the amount of fuel they have?

Does the blast produce a force on nearby objects? Could this be implemented? 

On 02/04/2016 at 5:34 AM, slotter said:

The mod looks great. I haven't had the time to test it but I bet I will enjoy it.

I was wondering, do the explosion blasts in fuel tanks change in size accordingly to the amount of fuel they have?

Does the blast produce a force on nearby objects? Could this be implemented? 

Yay : D.There are no custom explosions. There may be a way to implement it, but I don't know how without interfering with functionality with other mods (I haven't tried yet).

On 02/04/2016 at 7:14 AM, Enceos said:

@kimiko I LOLd at the "Early Testing" gif     : D

Cool stuff!

xD Thanks! : D

Update Beta 0.1.6

Check first post for download.

Updates/changes etc:

• Re-made the risk/fire potency system to more mimic reality - in addition to a risk level, which will determine the chance of having a fire, there is now a potency level which will determine how fierce the fire is and how hard it is to extinguish. Fires and risk are now more dependent on what you're doing and which type of part you use. G-forces, dynamic pressure, etc, plays a more significant role now.
  • Engines risk level and potency depends on how much you throttle them.
  • Parachutes and fairings along with decouplers may now engage when on fire.
  • ISRU, fule cells etc. will now have risk and potency depending on whether it's being used or not.
  • New fire effects.
  • New smoke effects.
  • New sound effects.
  • Made all important variables accessible through the config file (rename the txt file).
  • Replaced the "bending" detection system with regular crash-tolerance detection (this caused most incompatibility and bugs).
  • Fixed issue where the engine would catch fire instead of the part that it was firing at.
  • Added an experimental water-hose which can be mounted on a separate vessel, and will cool down whatever part its aimd at.
  • Added hard core mode. At a certain risk level (200 by default) there is a 50 percent (default) chance the part may catch fire. USI-LS, TAC-LS and Snacks are now supported, and will increase the chance of having a fire.
  • Fixed various bugs.
  • Various tweaks.
  • Various rebalancing.
  • Slight performance improvement
  • Fixed folder hierarchy in the zip file
  • Loosing a part will now almost certainly cause a fire (default)
  • Fire spreads more easily now (default)
  • Fire burns long now (default)

With hard core mode turned on you'll have to keep an eye on your ignition risk at your ships max q, and when turning fiercely, it has a tendency to get hot!

@kimiko Might I suggest that you add a small "Fire" symbol to the extinguisher part? Just to differenciate it a little. My kids got quite frustrated trying to figure out why the RCS Tanks they had put  on weren't stopping constant fires.

On 06/04/2016 at 5:57 PM, Andem said:

@kimiko Might I suggest that you add a small "Fire" symbol to the extinguisher part? Just to differenciate it a little. My kids got quite frustrated trying to figure out why the RCS Tanks they had put  on weren't stopping constant fires.

I'm not intending to make any custom models or textures until 1.1. Since, in my experience, memory is the main culprit to all crashes, and 1.0.5 can hardly handle anything more than the base game. Also I'm just not very good at it, so I need some practice first : p

13 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

This is really cool!

What's TOTM?

Yay : D

Totally missed the update!

This is a 1.0.5 release only right? No problem. I'm currently building Real Ships to a debut release in 1.1 ... your mod is really going to shine even brighter when you see a big battleship on fire :-)

32 minutes ago, kimiko said:

I'm not intending to make any custom models or textures until 1.1. Since, in my experience, memory is the main culprit to all crashes, and 1.0.5 can hardly handle anything more than the base game. Also I'm just not very good at it, so I need some practice first : p

Would you like me to make you a couple models?  I'd be happy to assist.

On 07/04/2016 at 9:22 PM, Azimech said:

Totally missed the update!

This is a 1.0.5 release only right? No problem. I'm currently building Real Ships to a debut release in 1.1 ... your mod is really going to shine even brighter when you see a big battleship on fire :-)

Can't wait! : D

On 07/04/2016 at 9:29 PM, CliftonM said:

Would you like me to make you a couple models?  I'd be happy to assist.

It would be awesome if you could do that!! Every time I open up Blender I need to print out 10 pages of shortcuts to hang on the wall just to get started... hahaha

1 hour ago, kimiko said:

Can't wait! : D

It would be awesome if you could do that!! Every time I open up Blender I need to print out 10 pages of shortcuts to hang on the wall just to get started... hahaha

I'll get started, then.

I see I can give my parts a custom configuration, that's great! Is there already a possibility to add custom resources as well? For example ... all my ships run on HeavyFuelOil because LiquidFuel had a flow rules problem. I also wonder if it could be possible to create explosions without destroying the part but disabling all present modules (ModuleResourceConverter and ModuleGenerator for example).

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

I see I can give my parts a custom configuration, that's great! Is there already a possibility to add custom resources as well? For example ... all my ships run on HeavyFuelOil because LiquidFuel had a flow rules problem. I also wonder if it could be possible to create explosions without destroying the part but disabling all present modules (ModuleResourceConverter and ModuleGenerator for example).

There are no option for custom resources yet, it's something I intend to do as soon as things get more streamlined, I.e. if the current game-play mechanics works properly and is somewhat satisfyingly balanced. I'm still having a play-through of my own, and I expect some will raise their if something is dissatisfying. If not, that probably means it is...

There are ways of having things influence other modules yes, as well as making events such as fake explosions. KKS has some nice, "built-in" instructions on how to write that type event-style add-ons based on damage sustained by the KKS add-on. Not sure yet that is within the scope of this add-on at the moment though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.