Little Green Men from Mars v1.1

Whirligig Girl

In collaboration with @Probus

QlDa7Aa.png

The Coming of the Martians

Chapter One

The Eve of the War

NO ONE WOULD have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water...

...Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us...

ARuiEFn.png

OK. So Kerbals don't exactly look like particularly fearsome Martians and their intellect has been brought into question more than once. But as the story goes, the Kerbals, whom we call Martians, arrived on Mars in days too ancient for us to remember. As their planet slowly and steadily lost its vast oceans & atmosphere, the Kerbals moved underground...

9ESzS3w.png

This is the premise of "Little Green Men From Mars" based on Nathan Kell's awesome Real Solar System (RSS) mod. Essentially, it moves the KSC to Mars (where little green men belong). :)

Move the KSC to Mars. The low delta V required for orbit and significant lack of atmosphere make Mars the ideal spot in RSS to explore the rest of the solar system. With its 2 moons, Phobos and Deimos, much science can be gained in the career or science mode game without leaving the SOI of Mars, much like the Mun and Minmus. Even with this delta-v advantage, the Kerbals don't like living on the cheap knockoff of Duna, and would much rather have Earth.

cylinder_on_horsell_common_by_lonesome__crow-d37495p.jpg

To set the mood listen to:

Remember to build everything in threes, as 3 is the Martian "lucky" number.

Download at Github

KerbalStuff Mirror

Here's the current setup and debug notes:

Kerbal Space Center has been moved from Kerbin to the RealSolarSystem universe, but not to Earth, but Mars. It is now near Olympus Mons. Mars has approximately the same delta-v to orbit as Kerbin, so stock lifter should work fairly well (and may be overpowered due to the high thrust-to-weight ratio of most engines). Re-entry is a much more hazardous endeavor, as the atmosphere is not thin enough to slow you down enough for parachutes to work. Airbrakes (and airbags if you have a mod that adds them) are your friends, and as such have been researched earlier in the tech tree.

Dependencies:

Kopernicus Beta 0.6 or newer

ModuleManager

RealSolarSystem-Textures only, do NOT install RealSolarSystem, as all the required RSS plugin and configuration is in the main LGMFM folder.

To add a bit of extra fun to this completely alien environment, you may want to use:

The Engineering Tech Tree

KSP Interstellar Extended

Near Future Technologies

For slowing down:

Lack's Stock ExTension (Airbags pack)

USI Survivability Pack

Inline Ballutes

Martian-styled stockalike flag pack (Included in download)

And any other stockalike packs you might want.

This mod is not for the KSP beginner.

Released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 license. You are free to redistribute and modify the work so long as it is not used for commercial purposes.

Stock Version Here.

Changelog:

V1.1: Fixed Phobos and Deimos, a fix which could be implemented in RSS as well. Tweaked Mars' colors.

V1.0: Removed Kerbin's oceans from Mars.

Edited by GregroxMun

4 minutes ago, TruthQuark said:

Change the orbits or teleport the space center?

just move the KSC over :)

actually it's a bit more tricky. but greg knows what I'm talking about :D

Edited by Sigma88

44 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

just move the KSC over :)

actually it's a bit more tricky. but greg knows what I'm talking about :D

The process involves taking Mars from RSS and almost totally scrapping it. Mars in RSS uses the Duna template, which is no good for putting the space center on it. Instead, I have to modify Kerbin. It's pretty difficult to Aresform Kerbin into a planet like Mars.

Edited by GregroxMun

1.1 is out now. Tweaks to Mars' terrain, and fixed Phobos and Deimos. The fix is this:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
	@Body[Phobos]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@MinLevel = 2
			@MaxLevel = 3
		}
	}
	@Body[Deimos]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@MinLevel = 2
			@MaxLevel = 3
		}
	}
}
//Max Level used to be 18 or something big. That was causing the blocky, intangible terrain. This config can be added in your RSS game to fix the issue.
//The fix is also implemented directly (not as a patch) to the LGMFM-SolarSystem.cfg file. If you're using LGMFM you don't need to install this.

Edited by GregroxMun

19 hours ago, maceemiller said:

Apologies for a stupid question but is all the other planets from the solar system in this mod too? Also, is Real Fuels needed? Thanks in advance.

All of the solar system from the RealSolarSystem mod* is included in LGMFM. Real Fuels is not needed, unless you're playing with Realism Overhaul (Which you don't need to do as Mars' delta-v-to-orbit is about the same as Kerbin's, so your rockets don't need the mass ratio buff that SMURFF or Realism Overhaul gives. Normal stock rockets should work just fine.)

*Planets in RSS;
Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Mars, Phobos, Deimos, Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Saturn, Saturn's Moons, Uranus, Neptune, Triton, Pluto, [Charon] (Charon is in RSS' config but is disabled.) The mod should also be compatible with RSS Planets and Moons Expanded if you want accurate Pluto/Charon textures or more planets and moons.

On 20/1/2016 at 11:15 AM, wizzlebippi said:

CKAN returns 404 error when I attempt to install this mod.

The issue appears to be that this is a different mod as far as NetKAN and KerbalStuff are concerned from what NetKAN, and thus CKAN see.  The install is still correct, place "LGMFM" into GameData, although it would skip the flags in Extra, it would still work so that's not the issue.  The issue is referring to mod #1153 instead of mod #1412.  I've put in a pull req to fix.

I'm going to assume the following dependencies and recommendations are still valid;

"depends": [
        { "name": "RealSolarSystem" },
        { "name": "ModuleManager" }
    ],
    "recommends": [
        { "name": "ETT" },
        { "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended" },
        { "name": "NearFutureConstruction" },
        { "name": "NearFutureElectrical" },
        { "name": "NearFuturePropulsion" },
        { "name": "NearFutureSolar" },
        { "name": "USI-SRV" }
    ],

And, downloading and installing. 

:-)

11 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

The issue appears to be that this is a different mod as far as NetKAN and KerbalStuff are concerned from what NetKAN, and thus CKAN see.  The install is still correct, place "LGMFM" into GameData, although it would skip the flags in Extra, it would still work so that's not the issue.  The issue is referring to mod #1153 instead of mod #1412.  I've put in a pull req to fix.

I'm going to assume the following dependencies and recommendations are still valid;

"depends": [
        { "name": "RealSolarSystem" },
        { "name": "ModuleManager" }
    ],
    "recommends": [
        { "name": "ETT" },
        { "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended" },
        { "name": "NearFutureConstruction" },
        { "name": "NearFutureElectrical" },
        { "name": "NearFuturePropulsion" },
        { "name": "NearFutureSolar" },
        { "name": "USI-SRV" }
    ],

And, downloading and installing. 

:-)

Incorrect. Depends on Kopernicus and ModuleManager. Recommendations are the same, but with Inline Ballutes added to the list.

Edited by GregroxMun

9 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Incorrect. Depends on Kopernicus and ModuleManager. Recommendations are the same, but with Inline Ballutes added to the list.

I'll see if I can adjust.  I'm not really up to speed on github stuff and I already have one pull request for this, I might need to wait for the first to complete and then adjust the requirements and so forth.

I'm launching a KSP Interstellar based investigation of that green-blue world at the moment.  Orbital return on Mars is, um, tricky.  :-)

On 20/01/2016 at 3:18 AM, GregroxMun said:

All of the solar system from the RealSolarSystem mod* is included in LGMFM. Real Fuels is not needed, unless you're playing with Realism Overhaul (Which you don't need to do as Mars' delta-v-to-orbit is about the same as Kerbin's, so your rockets don't need the mass ratio buff that SMURFF or Realism Overhaul gives. Normal stock rockets should work just fine.)

*Planets in RSS;
Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Mars, Phobos, Deimos, Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Saturn, Saturn's Moons, Uranus, Neptune, Triton, Pluto, [Charon] (Charon is in RSS' config but is disabled.) The mod should also be compatible with RSS Planets and Moons Expanded if you want accurate Pluto/Charon textures or more planets and moons.

Thanks. I tried it from CKAN but error 404. Manually installed it and I already love it :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/1/2016 at 8:20 PM, maceemiller said:

Thanks. I tried it from CKAN but error 404. Manually installed it and I already love it :)

CKAN should be fixed now.  NathanKell raised some queries regarding to how RealSolarSystem and the Texture packs for RSS are not behaving with their interrelationships, but LGMFM should work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.