Dinitrogen Pentoxide as an oxidizer?

SmartS=true

I was reading about nitrogen compounds and found the page on dinitrogen pentoxide on Wikipedia. It is the anhydride of nitric acid, and as such has nitrogen in the +5 oxidation state. As it is fairly easy to store and has more oxygen per nitrogen atom than N2O4, I thought that there had been at least one study on it being used as an oxidizer for hybrid or solid rockets (melting point is 41° C, so only thing that might be needed is air conditioning), but I couldn't find anything after 15+ minutes on Google. Anything that I'm missing that makes it so impractical that no one has even considered using it?

10 hours ago, SmartS=true said:

I was reading about nitrogen compounds and found the page on dinitrogen pentoxide on Wikipedia. It is the anhydride of nitric acid, and as such has nitrogen in the +5 oxidation state. As it is fairly easy to store and has more oxygen per nitrogen atom than N2O4, I thought that there had been at least one study on it being used as an oxidizer for hybrid or solid rockets (melting point is 41° C, so only thing that might be needed is air conditioning), but I couldn't find anything after 15+ minutes on Google. Anything that I'm missing that makes it so impractical that no one has even considered using it?

Dude, if you were reading this stuff, I recommend you get your hands on Ignition. I think there is a link in this very forum, on the thread about RP1/H2O2 engines, were you can actually read it free (IIRC, it's out of print). TONS of wonderful, funny discussions about rocket fuel, the why and why nots, and how they were chosen, etc. The subject of rocket fuels is much more complicated than it seems. Good storability, but price? Freezing and boiling points? Hypergolicity? The list goes on...

Rune. A brilliant book!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.