Is an Iron-Man suit physically possible?

WestAir

On 18.01.2016 at 8:08 AM, Chewy62 said:

The arc reactor is basically a free energy device, so the whole thing is really impossible.

A gundam-sized suit would actually be easier to make.

It burns Palladium as fuel?

18 hours ago, p1t1o said:

This can of course be explained away if you assume that Stark has permanent staff of about a hundred technicians, engineers and other labourers - along with their convoy of utility and transport vehicles and several tons of tools, spares and other hardware - constantly following him around covertly, which immediately jump out to retrieve just-used suits for maintenance and repair, and are ever-ready to spring into action to place a newly refurbished suit just where it is needed at just the right time. All without appearing on camera. Because those guys are Pros.

Considering the kind of AI he managed to create, he could have a whole robot maintenance crew at all times to take care of this stuff.

3 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

Considering the kind of AI he managed to create, he could have a whole robot maintenance crew at all times to take care of this stuff.

Or both. That guy is absurdly rich.

On 18.1.2016 at 6:39 AM, Evanitis said:

As a layman who played a lot of KSP...

I see a payload that weights an armed and armored Tony Stark, but I see no fuel tanks. That looks fishy. I believe the plasma hand-cannon isn't the only magic in there. I think he uses alt+f12 when no one is looking.

he can use the air as working mass
so he only need energy

He had a strong fission reactor for the energy...

the suit isnt "physicaly impossible" but "impossible to create"
(thats different...)

Edited by Sereneti

how does he cool it?

assuming the entire contraption weighs 150kg, it uses about 1.5KW thrust power to just hover (unless I did my maths wrong). it looks like it can pull 2G in the movies. then there is plasma/laser/whatever weapons (MWs?), servos, computer systems, ect. that is a lot of waste heat, and it doesn't appear to have large radiators or cooling vents. how does he avoid cooking himself? though I suppose it helps with the icing problem.

in conclusion, Tony Stark is hot :sticktongue:

2 hours ago, Dangerous_Beans said:

how does he cool it?

assuming the entire contraption weighs 150kg, it uses about 1.5KW thrust power to just hover (unless I did my maths wrong). it looks like it can pull 2G in the movies. then there is plasma/laser/whatever weapons (MWs?), servos, computer systems, ect. that is a lot of waste heat, and it doesn't appear to have large radiators or cooling vents. how does he avoid cooking himself? though I suppose it helps with the icing problem.

in conclusion, Tony Stark is hot :sticktongue:

maybee :)
but  thats a queston of "praktikal possible" :D
(theoereticaly he can use the intake air, to cooling himself)
(and if he start, if he use his plasma-truster, all around him will start tu burn...)

• 4 weeks later...

What bugs me is how isn't Tony yet radioactive? I've had to dig into plausible fusion reactions, and unless you go for the stupidly ambitious deuterium-boron fusion, you get a lot of neutrons, which requires either a moderator system the size of a fission reactor, or makes Tony himself glow in the dark.

Of course, he already does.

3 hours ago, DDE said:

What bugs me is how isn't Tony yet radioactive? I've had to dig into plausible fusion reactions, and unless you go for the stupidly ambitious deuterium-boron fusion, you get a lot of neutrons, which requires either a moderator system the size of a fission reactor, or makes Tony himself glow in the dark.

Of course, he already does.

Didn't that become an issue in one of the films? I've never bothered to investigate whether or not there's actually a hypothetical device that the Arc Reactor pertains to. I always assumed it was just "space magic,", so of course it would be perfectly clean energy.

On the flight aspect, perhaps slightly relevant to this topic. What really amazes me is that someone can do this safely, but those 2015 hoverboard scooter things keep melting batteries.

We might not be at Iron Man yet. Green Goblin, on the other hand...

Edited by vger

9 hours ago, vger said:

Didn't that become an issue in one of the films? I've never bothered to investigate whether or not there's actually a hypothetical device that the Arc Reactor pertains to. I always assumed it was just "space magic,", so of course it would be perfectly clean energy.

Nah, the one in the films was palladium poisoning. Yeah, no idea what palladium was doing in here, or how he found in "in a cave, with a box of scraps".

The MIT tried to jump on the hype by introducing the Affordable Reliable Clean (*rimshot*) tokomak with a liquid metal cooling jacket. Interesting, but nowhere near what Tony needs.

• 1 month later...

Yes and No. Well the US military is already making a "Iron Man Suit" or at least a similar suit, the suit will be a little bigger and most likely harder to use than the actual Iron Man suit. The suit has some kind of weapons but they are pretty big and it won't be able to fly like the real iron man suit, yet. But then the energy blast weapons that Iron Man has on his hands aren't possible yet, or at least small once that can be put into the suits arms because energy beam weapons do exist but they are the size of a satellite cause they are satellite's. 

On 9.6.2016 at 2:24 AM, vger said:

On the flight aspect, perhaps slightly relevant to this topic. What really amazes me is that someone can do this safely, but those 2015 hoverboard scooter things keep melting batteries.

We might not be at Iron Man yet. Green Goblin, on the other hand...

He is wearing an protective suit like motorcyclists are using and flying over water all the time, note that with an wet suit for surfing or diving jumping and landing on stomach from 10 meter is just fun.
Yes its impressive however I assume he is an expert probably decades of experience with snowboard and skateboards, probably trained with an low power version in an vertical wind tunnel too. 
Most high level daredevils are very risque aware, they have probably been at hospital, they know that happens to their friends and are not stupid, they also have sponsors who don't want any accidents. 

Its another issue with batteries for cheap stuff there its important to keep the price down, if it catch fire you can always jump off it. 

Note that an real world iron man suit jet would be more like an fallout 4 power armor jump jet but with less pathetic dV. you would not strap it to the legs, for one you will use the legs to walk and run with and don't want to weight them down outside of armor. 

Short answer no. 

Long answer, exoskeletons and powered armor could be a thing. (I plan to design on here in the coming months. Not powerful, no picking up cars, but able to support the wearers weight and add some strength)

As far as the couple people whove referred to mechs/giant robots... i have a lot to say on that topic, and will be making a thread in the near future.

Seconding the heating thing. Thermojets can be miniaturized (if weak without lots and lots of power), so can power supplies and motion servos. Armour too, and radar, and the computer system.  What can't be gotten around is the massive need for cooling, lest Tony get roasted inside his suit like a foil-wrapped baked potato he'd meed massive radiators. :P

Actually, massive glowing wings would look pretty bad-s!

9 hours ago, moogoob said:

Actually, massive glowing wings would look pretty bad-s!

It would also be a vulnerable weak spot. If the radiator is shot off, the wearer probably hasn't much time until they overheat.

On ‎29‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 8:26 AM, shynung said:

It would also be a vulnerable weak spot. If the radiator is shot off, the wearer probably hasn't much time until they overheat.

The guy behind Children of Dead Earth disagrees with that staple of hard sci-fi thinking.

They'd be glowing red, though. The hotter they are, the more efficient they are.

coade_shooting-missiles.png

• 1 year later...

I think at this point with all this ideas and assumptions on how the iron man suit might or might not work,it will be prudent to add that the guy has a freakin AI system in his basement and a couple private servers that run on the said system.........plus it seems he is willing to spend a couple billion dollars on his toy project and an infinite amount of time working on the suit.Additionally the guy has superhuman intelligence.Now in the real world the only guy who seems to fit that comparison has just about 10 billion dollars to his name and probably uses windows 10 or apple .Am talking about Elon musk who i doubt graduated from mit at 15 and built his first circuit board at 4.The iron man suit may exist on earth when we have discovered AI.And when the titans of industry who will exist at the time wont be so materialistic and after wealth accumulation. 

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

So all the components exist, they just need to be put together into one thing.

And make sure it all weighs less than 20 lbs so it can all be supported by the thrusters from the first video.

Or get approximately 10x the thrust out of 'em somehow!  :) 

Although, technically, you are right, it appears to be physically possible.  It just can't (yet...?) actually fly with the weight an average human... but we might get there eventually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.