Mods causing stutter?

Like many people, my KSP gameplay is plagued with stutter, and lately it has gotten so bad to the point of about one second freeze every a couple second or so. I guessed this might be caused by mods, so I played on an unmodded install and lo and behold, barely any stutter whatsoever. So I began to reinstall my mods one by one, trying to find if it was some specific mod that's causing the stutter, and so far I found that it was the contract packs that caused the stutters (I mentioned so far because I've installed like, a hundred mods, and haven't gotten to test them all). While waiting for me to find if there's another mod that cause the stutters, maybe someone could share some light as to why contract packs would cause stutters? And maybe other mods that cause stutters as well?

Let me save you the pain and time of going through the process of trying to find the cause of the stutter.  I've wasted literally days trying to find which mod was the cause and you'll think you've managed to get rid of it and then a little while later find that it's crept back in again.  

The stutter will happen in a pure stock game, and while some mods may emphasise it, the main factor seems to be the number of craft you have in flight.  With around 30 objects (craft, debris, flags) the stutter is apparent even when flying a very low part craft (can even be observed when looking at space center view and panning the camera about).  

This issue has become a little heated and some of us regard it as a major problem, but the best we can do at present is wait and hope that 1.1 improves it (although given what is believed to be the cause, the garbage collector, we don't expect 1.1 to actually fix the issue, but other performance improvements may alleviate it somewhat).

Here's a couple other threads in addition to the one @Speadge posted that collect some of the thinking (and frustration) regarding this;

Did any of you read what I wrote? I removed all mods, and my gameplay is smooth as silk, no stutter whatsoever. After testing, I'm found it's the contract packs that gave the stutters, whatever the reason may be. Just installing one is enough to make the stutters come back. I installed many other mods, even the heavy ones like EVE and some part packs, and the worse I got was only minor reduction in frame per second, with barely noticeable stutters (it's still there, but not every two seconds like with contract packs installed).

So, I'm gonna play without contract packs for now.

Edited by Algiark

You know, I normally play only on Kerbin (because I'm too lazy to plan missions and BDArmory is awesome enough for me).

So, the last week I decided to go make a Mun landing mission, Apollo style, just to see if I was still up to the challenge. When I climbed to 70k altitude, the game broke.

Every 5 seconds there would be a stutter of 10-15 seconds. So I said, let's go check the forum. But, alas, the forum gave me no answers. So I decided to put KSP on the shelf until 1.1 came out (I suspected the problem came from a mod, but again, I was too lazy to check).

And now the main forum page tells me about this post, I try Algiark's approach and... Yup, it works.

So contract packs were it. Now I can finish my Mun mission.

Thanks!

Update:Seems the last update of Contract Configurator (v 1.9.5) fixes this problem for me.

Edited by Uzric

On 21/01/2016 at 1:20 PM, Algiark said:

Did any of you read what I wrote? I removed all mods, and my gameplay is smooth as silk, no stutter whatsoever. After testing, I'm found it's the contract packs that gave the stutters, whatever the reason may be. Just installing one is enough to make the stutters come back. I installed many other mods, even the heavy ones like EVE and some part packs, and the worse I got was only minor reduction in frame per second, with barely noticeable stutters (it's still there, but not every two seconds like with contract packs installed).

So, I'm gonna play without contract packs for now.

I gonna test this... even when it is the GC what technicaly causes the stutter.... if contract packs are the root of the evil, i need to test this... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.