Alien Space Programs - Dev Thread

Whirligig Girl

19 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

I'd really like to see Moho, Dres, and Eeloo space programs and the ability to choose where your space center is when you create a new save so I don't have to waste storage space with LSP, ESP, and DSP when I could just have them all in KSP

Good Idea.

I really want to see a Gilly Space Program --- it'd be a completely different game, as you're effectively starting from an asteroid base. Build all the big, spidery, low-g ships you want! Then strap SRBs onto them and watch them collapse and implode.

On 2/20/2016 at 6:22 PM, GregroxMun said:

After having stalled working on this mod for a while, today I will fix the atmosphere thickness bug.

EDIT: The fix is released. https://github.com/GregroxMun/Alien-Space-Programs/releases/tag/0.5

On 1/20/2016 at 3:58 AM, GregroxMun said:

Also note that (and there's nothing I can really do about this right now) engine Isp will be based around 1 atmosphere being whatever the ASL atmosphere of the planet is. So on Eve the Isp is easier, but on Duna, your engines will struggle to produce any thrust on Kerbin. I'll see what I can do about fixing at some point.

"Fixed the atmosphere bug on Duna and Eve. (It was never broken on Laythe)"

I downloaded the new one, but haven't had time to try it yet(0 hours of KSP today), is this fixed or not? if the Isp issue is still there, then what was the atmosphere problem with Duna and Eve. What was the problem you had on Tekto that was solved?

Just now, KerikBalm said:

"Fixed the atmosphere bug on Duna and Eve. (It was never broken on Laythe)"

I downloaded the new one, but haven't had time to try it yet(0 hours of KSP today), is this fixed or not? if the Isp issue is still there, then what was the atmosphere problem with Duna and Eve. What was the problem you had on Tekto that was solved?

The note of Isp is still correct. The atmo problem on Duna and Eve was that the game thought the atmosphere was at 1 atm instead of 0.06 or 5, repsectively. The Tekto problem was that, in Duna Space Program, nothing could rotate due to high drag. That bug has been fixed. The only atmo problem is with Isp.

48 minutes ago, hjalfi said:

I really want to see a Gilly Space Program --- it'd be a completely different game, as you're effectively starting from an asteroid base. Build all the big, spidery, low-g ships you want! Then strap SRBs onto them and watch them collapse and implode.

The first Flea booster flight would get your ship down to Eve! :P I imagine it would be interesting to try and fine tune a trajectory and fuel/thrust level on a flea booster spaceship that would bring your orbit around once to bring it right back to Gilly a few orbits later. At that point, another flea could slow down and if you've done it right, allow you to slowly fall back towards Gilly.

Heck, I might try this. 

Also, literally seconds ago I had an idea about how to fix the Isp problem. It *might* work. Maybe.

On 3/6/2016 at 4:42 PM, Fireheart318 said:

I'd really like to see Moho, Dres, and Eeloo space programs and the ability to choose where your space center is when you create a new save so I don't have to waste storage space with LSP, ESP, and DSP when I could just have them all in KSP

The problem with that is there is no way to actually do that right now. I think it might be an option with the next Kopernicus version that is supposed to have KSC switching. That would also be a way less hacky approach than the one I currently use. But you'll have to wait for a new Kopernicus to be released.

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Alien-Space-Programs/releases/tag/0.7

0.7 is released, now with (probably) fixed Isp problems. The fix was actually something suggested by @KerikBalm. The fix works by putting in a tiny sliver of 1 atmo pressure at 0 meters ASL followed by the planet's actual atmosphere at 0.001 meters ASL.

Laythe Space Program is a different landscape of challenges and opportunities, and I'm really enjoying the game from that perspective. On the one hand, you don't have that easy (and ultimately somewhat grindy) source of science from Minmus and Mun. On the other hand, the Joolian moons are easier to get to than Duna and Eve. Navigating around Joolspace is quite interesting, too.You almost can't fly anywhere without interacting with something, so there's lots of gravity assist going on. I expect Tylo and I will become good friends as I start exploring the rest of the Kerbol system and use it to fling my ships outward. It never bothered me before that there are frequent and lengthy eclipses as Jool squats between you and Kerbol. But that's because by the time I made it to the Jool system, I already had RTGs and fuel cells. When you're reliant on OX-Stats for electricity, it's a very serious consideration, especially for uncrewed ships.

Add RemoteTech, and it gets more interesting still, with line-of-site coming and going. I usually abandon a save as soon as the new release comes out, but I think I'll keep this one going for a while after 1.1 is released. Maybe I'll call it an end game when I manage to establish a permanent colony on Bin.

Thanks for creating and supporting this terrific mod.

6 hours ago, CraftedDoge20PlaysKSP1.0.5 said:

There's no video to how to install alien space program mod?

i don't know

Q/A

Q : how i rename this planet?!

Q : need hyperedit to work?

or not

1- the planet should already have the stock name. If not, greg goofed up.

2- you *need* only module manager and kopernicus. You can use HE if you please

I have been playing with the laythe version for a while and noticed a few issues. There were fixes previously posted for rotating ksc and moving remote tech. But I have also noticed that high/low boundaries are at kerbin altitudes, not laythe. The game also seems to think that ksc is on the opposite side of the planet since my recovery for right by the launch site is 10% and the starting survey contracts were so far away. The last is that solar panels work as efficiently as they normally do at kerbin instead of the 4% they should be.

Are there configuration fixes for those three issues similar to the rotation and remote tech fixes?

21 hours ago, Mijna said:

I have been playing with the laythe version for a while and noticed a few issues. There were fixes previously posted for rotating ksc and moving remote tech. But I have also noticed that high/low boundaries are at kerbin altitudes, not laythe. The game also seems to think that ksc is on the opposite side of the planet since my recovery for right by the launch site is 10% and the starting survey contracts were so far away. The last is that solar panels work as efficiently as they normally do at kerbin instead of the 4% they should be.

Are there configuration fixes for those three issues similar to the rotation and remote tech fixes?

Had the same problem - recovery kept saying I was ~1700km away from KSC when recovering from less than 1km of the pad. You can try playing with the longitude of the KSC and see if you can get closer to what the game thinks 0km is. 
Probably going to end up in the ocean, though.

I'm happy to report that I've finally completed building out the Tech tree and visited all the planetary bodies on Eve Space Program 0.4 career mode (normal).  It's been an absolute blast.

The question is, should I update to 0.7? Will it (the changed atmospheric pressure) break my ships from 0.4?

KjMqcnU.png

4 hours ago, Yet.another.newbie said:

I'm happy to report that I've finally completed building out the Tech tree and visited all the planetary bodies on Eve Space Program 0.4 career mode (normal).  It's been an absolute blast.

The question is, should I update to 0.7? Will it (the changed atmospheric pressure) break my ships from 0.4?

KjMqcnU.png

It will make your ships harder to use. Rocket engines will have lowered Isps in all atmospheres in Eve Space Program, so the only effective engines are Mammoth, Vector, and Aerospike (on Eve surface.). However, in the vacuum ships will work fine. Coming back home, atmospheres have been made more accurate on the burning side, so you will need heatshields better built for Eve. Going to other planets is normal except for atmosphere planets, which have lower Isp than before.

If you want all the fixes in the mod without the Isp fix, you can get Eve Space Program v0.6. This makes everything on the atmosphere side of things work like the stock planet equivalent, EXCEPT that the rocket engines think the atmosphere of the home planet is the standard atmosphere, and will work nicely (5 atmospheres of pressure would be 1 atm on the Isp scale, but 5 atm on the re-entry heating and drag scale.)

I am curious, do you have a mission report (or at least some screenshots) of your voyage to Kerbin? I'd like to see that.

1 hour ago, Chocolat Oreos said:

There is no manual how to install this excrements

1 hour ago, Chocolat Oreos said:

Nevermind, got it to work

@Chocolat Oreos:  I'm glad you were able to get it to work for you, so that your issue is resolved.

However, please be considerate when posting comments in mod threads.  Mod authors put a lot of effort into their work, for free, so that forumgoers such as yourself can enjoy the results.  If you don't like a mod, you can simply not use it.  If you have a problem with a mod, then by all means post a question in the mod's thread-- in my experience, mod authors are generally helpful, friendly people who are happy to help users who are having difficulty with their mods.

But please be appropriately respectful when doing so.  There's nothing wrong with asking "I don't understand how to make this work, what do I do?", or for making requests and constructive feedback such as "installation instructions would be helpful."  But rude criticism such as referring to the mod as "excrement" is uncalled for.  The mod author has done nothing to you, other than put in hard work to give you something for free, so please extend the same consideration.  Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.