[1.10.x] Stockalike Mining Extension [1.1.5 Release 7/8/2020]

SuicidalInsanity

Yeah, mini ISRU is like that because stock behavior for the 1.25m can't run at full efficiency. Why that's the behavior Squad went with instead of simply reducing conversion rate (same end result of longer conversion timespan, far less end-user confusion), your guess is as good as mine.
Easiest way to fix it would be via MM patch,
@PART[SMX_Size0ISRU] {
@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]  {
@MaxCoolant = 100
} }

Slightly more involved way would be to reduce all the ModuleResourceConverter TemperatureModifier curves in the .cfg by half.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2016 at 11:56 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

...and this will add Kerbal Atomics/LH2 compatibility:

are these patches now integrated or still useful? This one in particular is missing a closing bracket for the second to last PART{} node

• 2 months later...

KSP 1.10 update - SMX 1.1.5 is now up - SpaceDock | GitHub
Changelog:
-Fixes Asteroid klaw and Radial Klaw textures
-Miniklaw moved to legacy due to stock miniklaw; non 1.10 installs can find it by removing the TechHidden = True line from the /MiningExpansion/parts/size0klaw/part.cfg
-Adds CometHarvester modules to all drills
-Improves Atmospheric Condenser Xenon harvest rates

15 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Changelog:
-Miniklaw moved to legacy due to stock miniklaw; non 1.10 installs can find it by removing the TechHidden = True line from the /MiningExpansion/parts/size0klaw/part.cfg

14 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Thanks for updating so quickly!

Totally agree with @theJesuit and thanks!

Edited by GJNelson

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 10:32 AM, Rodger said:

I think the mini isru converter’s core heat module doesn’t have the capability to use enough cooling to run 100%, just like the stock 1.25m isru converter. -snip-

So I guess it’s just based on the fact the stock small converter can’t run full time. I don’t know why the stock converter is made that way though... maybe if it runs without an engineer on board the slower speed lets it run full time?

On 3/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, TheKurgan said:

Using your Mining expansion mod, no matter how much cooling I throw at the miniISRU, I can't get it to stop overheating. Any suggestions?

On 3/26/2020 at 11:26 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

Yeah, mini ISRU is like that because stock behavior for the 1.25m can't run at full efficiency. Why that's the behavior Squad went with instead of simply reducing conversion rate (same end result of longer conversion timespan, far less end-user confusion), your guess is as good as mine.
Easiest way to fix it would be via MM patch,
@PART[SMX_Size0ISRU] {
@MODULE[ModuleCoreHeat]  {
@MaxCoolant = 100
} }

Slightly more involved way would be to reduce all the ModuleResourceConverter TemperatureModifier curves in the .cfg by half.

The reason the stock small ISRU is that way is because it's "meant to be used in bursts" but the gameplay for this becomes needlessly tedious (starting, stopping, waiting on cooldown) and a waste of time if the craft is wider than 0.3m, and the Squad dev who set this up never changed it to practical settings. I highly recommend baking in either fix and releasing it @SuicidalInsanity. You have no obligation to hold onto settings that are unplayable and can't be justified.

I'm finally making configs to extend this mod (Rational Resources) and I'll be using the MaxCoolant fix, thanks for showing it. :)

QEP9UUU.png

On 7/8/2020 at 11:14 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

Changelog:

38 minutes ago, Grande1900 said:

The Mini Grabbing Unit is now Obsolete because of the new Advanced Grabbing Unit Jr.

We know. ;)

23 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm finally making configs to extend this mod (Rational Resources) and I'll be using the MaxCoolant fix, thanks for showing it.

One thing to note - increasing MaxCoolant increases total radiator coverage required. If that isn't desired, heat generation can be calculated by looking at the Temperature Modifier curve, and finding the value for nominal operating temp, and then dividing the second number by 50.
For instance, the tempmod curve from the size1 stack drill:
            key = 250 15000
            key = 500 10000
            key = 750 2500
Operating temp is 500, 10000/50 = 200 heat to be radiated. MaxCoolant is the amount of heat radiators can pull from the part; if the MaxCoolant value is less than this, the part is guaranteed to overheat; conversely, larger MaxCoolant values ensure the part never overheats (assuming, of course, that radiator capacity >= MaxCoolant is present).

On 7/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, Daveroski said:

The deployable wheels are broken.

Odd, I remember them working during testing. I'll see if I can figure out why they aren't working.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 1:13 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:
On 7/22/2020 at 2:23 AM, Daveroski said:

The deployable wheels are broken.

Odd, I remember them working during testing. I'll see if I can figure out why they aren't working.

All wheels (except F1-MR and D1-MR) don't work as expected. From what I've observed it seems that wheels cling to the ground when used as if there is something sticking out and it is most noticeable for F2-MR which acts like it doesn't touch the ground. Can there be something wrong with collision?

Also D1-MR is radially attached and asymmetrical part and because of that it is impossible (at least I can't figure that out) to attach this part on the outer side of the craft in a way that will allow it to fold forwards. Should this wheel have a mirrored variant like propeller blades have?

BerdinskiyBear - that is the mirrored variant of the D1-MR; lack of mirror would have it fold in opposite directions on opposite sides of the craft.
After going through the wheel rigs and configs, I think I've fixed all of them, so here's update 1.1.6 - SpaceDock - GitHub
Changelog:
-Size0 ISRU no longer overheats
-Deployable wheels fixed

11 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

BerdinskiyBear - that is the mirrored variant of the D1-MR; lack of mirror would have it fold in opposite directions on opposite sides of the craft.

I think that I was misunderstood, I know that there is a mirrored version of a model for the wheel, I just asked if you can add a switchable variant for this part that will switch between mirrored versions of models so creating a vessel like on picture would be possible in one piece.

15bzWEK.png

Wheels on the front can't be placed like that during construction.

Also I have noticed that mirrored version of the model appears to steer wrong way while physically working correctly.

P1VlxLk.png

This craft is supposed to turn right and it does so without problem, but mirrored wheels (front-left and back-right) appear to be turned wrong way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

While looking for another answer to another question I remember skimming past a comment on the internet about a drill that also works like a klaw or grabber.  I seem to remember the msg said it was the Terravore.  Is there a drill that grabs like a klaw?  If it exists, and isn't the Terravore, does anyone know which it is and which mod it would be part of?  Need it for a class E real soon now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Apelsin said:

Any chance this mod will get a compatibility patch for Nertea's SystemHeat?

Should work. latest version of systemheat contains a generic patch by me that converts ISRU and drill modules to systemHeat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:34 PM, Grande1900 said:

The Mini Grabbing Unit is now Obsolete because of the new Advanced Grabbing Unit Jr.

NO! Stock mini claw is just a resized usual claw, it looks ugly and stubby when attached to a spaceplane. SME claw is more streamline and it fits nice (but it's heat tolerance is a bit too low to make it a good nosecone)

• 5 weeks later...

I like the Asteroid docking port and habitat. However I feel that proper instructions are necessary:

Anchorable Docking Port

1. Activate claw
  2. Latch onto asteroid
  3. Anchor docking port
  4. Decouple node

Infaltible(sic) Asteroid Habitat

1. Activate claw
  2. Latch onto asteroid
  3. Excavate habitat
  4. The habitat does NOT have a decoupler, be prepared for that.

Activating Anchor docking port or Excavate habitat in the VAB will cause the part to remain deployed permanently even when launching, replace with a new one if this happens. Probably a bug.

Do not touch release or deactivate claw once deployed on an asteroid, hilarity or explosions will ensue.

An idea for the asteroid habitat: unique science experiment that can only be done once it is expanded inside an asteroid, based on observations about the interior structure of the asteroid. Of course it might not be so simple to implement detection of the part actually intersecting with an asteroid for this purpose, and adding new science might be against the stockalike ethos of the mod, so it's not something I expect to be added, just a thought.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:22 PM, darthgently said:

While looking for another answer to another question I remember skimming past a comment on the internet about a drill that also works like a klaw or grabber.  I seem to remember the msg said it was the Terravore.  Is there a drill that grabs like a klaw?  If it exists, and isn't the Terravore, does anyone know which it is and which mod it would be part of?  Need it for a class E real soon now

The Jaw from Asteroid Recycling Technologies does this, but that's a USI mod that does a lot of its own things (including making asteroids 33x more dense and 5x larger). IIRC it changes asteroids to contain a new rock resource instead of ore, which you can do multiple things with, including turn it into ore.

Edited by Rocket Witch

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.