We're part of the spaceflight industry, apparently

"SpaceX’s Elon Musk is optimistic that 2016 will hold more landings, and fewer explosions,tweeting, “My best guess for 2016: !70% landing success rate (so still a few more RUDs to go), then hopefully improving to ~90% in 2017.” Rocket explosions are discretely referred to as Rapid Unscheduled Disassemblies, or RUDs, in the industry."

http://gizmodo.com/check-out-the-wreckage-of-spacexs-almost-landed-rocket-1753894327

6 minutes ago, pincushionman said:

Yup. Where do you think we got it from?

Hint: a great many of the rather odd terms thrown about here (such as "lawn dart" and "lithobrake") came here because many users brought the jargon from the real-world fields with them.

So that makes the spaceflight industry part of the KSP community, right? :wink:

3 hours ago, Kaos said:

Does the Kraken also predates KSP? I mean in the KSP sense of Kraken, not the animal ;)

Partly, in olden times it was merely explained by the presence of gremlins, which tend to inhabit all manner of mechanical contraption 

5 hours ago, Kaos said:

Does the Kraken also predates KSP? I mean in the KSP sense of Kraken, not the animal ;)

Well, I mean, the animal was known for "Ripping apart ships"

We pretty much stole that too :P Although we gave it more than what we started with, since the actual bug was fixed we deemed anything that was wonky physics as "The Kraken" 

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

What I'm waiting for is Elon Musk posting an KSP screenshot and saying "We're confident it will work this time, as our simulator shows"

The 4 words you never say at NASA SpaceX: It worked in KSP :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2016 at 11:14 PM, Kerbart said:

What I'm waiting for is Elon Musk posting an KSP screenshot and saying "We're confident it will work this time, as our simulator shows"

Their first company astronauts will be named Bill, Bob, and Jeb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.