A ninth planet?

Spaceception

5 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

No offence, but do we need yet another thread like this? Do people not know there are like 20 of theses types of threads here?

This is why we need a search tool.

Edited by fredinno

7 minutes ago, fredinno said:

No offence, but do we need yet another thread like this? Do people not know there are like 20 of theses types of threads here?

This was pretty recent. And I didn't think to search :/

7 minutes ago, fredinno said:

I just looked through 7 pages on the search bar, and I haven't seen anything that says there was a "9 planet" thread.

Edited by Spaceception

Cool! This means there's an 0.007% chance of there not being a planet-sized object out there. Isn't this still a dwarf planet? It obviously hasn't cleared its orbit. Also, I thought something like this might happen. See here. Also also, 10 Earth masses isn't a super-Earth. That's likely a small ice giant.

Also also also: YANPT XD

Edited by Findthepin1
Yet Another New Planet Thread - see YAMO

5 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Cool! This means there's an 0.007% chance of there not being a planet-sized object out there. Isn't this still a dwarf planet? It obviously hasn't cleared its orbit. Also, I thought something like this might happen. See here. Also also, 10 Earth masses isn't a super-Earth. That's likely a small ice giant.

If it's larger than Mercury or Mars, the definition of dwarf planet is likely to be redefined... Again.

Interesting. They havnt found it, but they have a simulated orbit+mass that explains what they set out to explain, plus a bunch of other things that concidently fit their simulation that they were not trying to explain.

Edited by Rakaydos

5 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Super-Earth or Mini Neptune.

Also, what's "YANPT"?

No, they describe this as a full planet, much larger than Earth.

From the Caltech article:

Unlike the class of smaller objects now known as dwarf planets, Planet Nine gravitationally dominates its neighborhood of the solar system. In fact, it dominates a region larger than any of the other known planets—a fact that Brown says makes it "the most planet-y of the planets in the whole solar system."

10 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

This was pretty recent. And I didn't think to search :/

I just looked through 7 pages on the search bar, and I haven't seen anything that says there was a "9 planet" thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127693-did-we-really-find-a-super-earth-in-our-solar-system/

2 hours ago, fredinno said:

If it's larger than Mercury or Mars, the definition of dwarf planet is likely to be redefined... Again.

Even if it's larger than Earth... the reason Pluto was disqualified as a planet wasn't because it wasn't deemed a valid planet. It's because we came to realize that there's probably thousands of them out there and we don't want that. Assume this body will be found, and assume its size is halfway between Earth and Neptune; given the location it will be a matter of time before similar bodies are discovered. Instead of accepting it as a planet, we'll simply add another arbritary rule (eccentricity, inclination, distance to the sun, etc) that will disqualify it as a planet and instead classify it as a Transneptunian Body" or something along those lines.

We don't want humanity be living on an ordinary planet "out of thousands" after all, we need to be unique (even though the fact that we live here makes us unique).

42 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Even if it's larger than Earth... the reason Pluto was disqualified as a planet wasn't because it wasn't deemed a valid planet. It's because we came to realize that there's probably thousands of them out there and we don't want that. Assume this body will be found, and assume its size is halfway between Earth and Neptune; given the location it will be a matter of time before similar bodies are discovered. Instead of accepting it as a planet, we'll simply add another arbritary rule (eccentricity, inclination, distance to the sun, etc) that will disqualify it as a planet and instead classify it as a Transneptunian Body" or something along those lines.

We don't want humanity be living on an ordinary planet "out of thousands" after all, we need to be unique (even though the fact that we live here makes us unique).

People will flip their excrements if that happens.

In crass terms, Pics or gtfo.

It is definitely a possibility that there's another planet out there. But 3.5 sigma on 6 objects isn't a particularly high confidence rate. Especially since that only tells you "Hey, these inclinations aren't a coincidence!". It could be that they're the result of some planet that was expelled from the solar system during its formation. Or maybe a passing star, or something else.

In other words, definitely interesting and worthy of further research. It's the best analysis we have so far suggesting another planet. But until we actually see a planet with our telescopes I'm not going to assume it exists.

3 minutes ago, Ralathon said:

In crass terms, Pics or gtfo.

It is definitely a possibility that there's another planet out there. But 3.5 sigma on 6 objects isn't a particularly high confidence rate. Especially since that only tells you "Hey, these inclinations aren't a coincidence!". It could be that they're the result of some planet that was expelled from the solar system during its formation. Or maybe a passing star, or something else.

In other words, definitely interesting and worthy of further research. It's the best analysis we have so far suggesting another planet. But until we actually see a planet with our telescopes I'm not going to assume it exists.

Well, we have an orbit for the hypothetical object- an infrared scan along the track should find SOMETHING..

2 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Could the James Webb crack this egg?

Maybe, but it isn't launching 'till 2-3 years from now. Plus, I'd rather have the James Webb look at/for Exoplanets, Hubble and others could do it.

Edited by Spaceception

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.